Scooter
Community

My Scooter Broke Down Need Help

Last post 04-24-2016 06:10 PM by pyrah. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2016 06:33 PM

My Scooter Broke Down Need Help

Hi,

I own a TGB Bullet 50. Lately, on and off, my scooter as been making a rattling sound. It sort of sounds like it is coming from the exhaust. I have in the past taken the variator restrictor ring off by the way. But today my bike started to make a high squeeling schreeching sound sort of like a dentists drill and then seconds later I started to lose power. Then finally the scooter ground to a halt and the motor konked out and felt like something had seized the motor entirely. And yes, I have plenty of oil in the bottle. Luckily it happened about 50 meters from home on a ten kilometre trip!

If anyone can help that would be great. Thank you,

Benson.

• 02-24-2016 07:57 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

Re: My Scooter Broke Down Need Help

Take the transmission cover off and check whether the engine turns freely.

Check the crankshaft for sideplay.

I assume its a two stroke engine.

If there is nothing obvious and the engine won't turn take the fan shroud off then remove the cylinder head and cylinder to check the piston, If the bore is scratched with aluminium near the exhaust, the piston has failed and overheated.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 02-24-2016 09:14 PM In reply to

Thank you for your reply.

The strangest thing has happened. I just started up the Bullet (started up completely smoothly) and it purred like a kitten as I rode about a km around the block! No rattle, no high pitch sound as if nothing had ever happened. What the?

• 02-24-2016 11:49 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

I forgot to ask whether it was a hot day.

It is sounding like a soft seizewhich is caused by the piston overheating and grabbing in the bore.

There will be damage done which will make the piston more likely to seize again.

There is not much you can do but slowdown a bit on days when its really hot.

The seize often happens when the throttle is closed after a long hot run. The petrol and oil normally cools the piston when working hard, when you close the throttle it stops the air and fuel so the piston gets hotter and catches on the bore. These engines will survive a soft seize a few times but the damage gets worse and eventually the upper piston will fail.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 03-01-2016 09:53 PM In reply to

The exact thing happened to me in a old vw beetle the same kind of noise and haveing to spend the night in the car.

Then in the morning it started and got us home then about 2 weeks later a hole blew out the side of the crank lol

• 03-11-2016 05:49 PM In reply to

So, after the scooter did the spinning schreeching sound to me on two separate occassions (after 10 minutes of travel time, not before), I took it to the shop to get it fixed under warranty. But there is a problem. The warranty is for 10,000 km's and I am 9800 plus on the odometer. And when they finally finished inspecting the scooter (they claimed the piston was in perfect condition and it did not need a new piston ring), all they have done to it is to drain some of the diff oil, as there was too much. And also cleaned up a bit of carbon build up in the cylinder or on the piston. So, I am concerned that the problem is still going to be there, and basically, as soon as I take the scooter away from the shop, it will no longer be under warranty. They also claimed that they checked the variator and had nothing to report about that either.  What should I do? I would really appreciate some advice on this one.

Thank you,                                                                                                                     Benson.

• 03-11-2016 07:09 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

You need a record of your breakdown and the warranty claim in writing and the dealer's claim that there was nothing wrong. Their response in writing is important because you will need the evidence for a future claim.

If it fails in a few kilometers past warranty, you will probably need to go to consumer affairs to get damage repaired.

It sounds like a soft sieze and it might keep happening.

These engines need very good oil in the engine, if you used cheap oil, the oil may have contributed to the failure. I use oils rated to JASO FC which are often more expensive but they protect the piston.

• 03-11-2016 07:31 PM In reply to

Thank you for the reply. Very helpful info there. I will gather all the paperwork. The oil I have been using is Castrol Power TTS racing 2T Jaso FD. It was about $90 per four litres. Is that okay? 

• 03-11-2016 07:32 PM In reply to

Do exactly as INMA has said cover yourself that way if things go south you have some ammo.

• 03-11-2016 07:45 PM In reply to

Yes, I deffinitely will. So, is that oil okay to use?

• 03-11-2016 08:22 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

That oil is a huge overkill but the engine will be fine. JASO FD is a grade better than the JASO FC.  The difference is the higher grade produces less smoke but from a lubrication point of view they are the same.

I use the Castrol JASO FC in my very high performance engine which does almost twice the speed of your engine.  As speed and power increase, the engine needs more oil.

I still suspect you had a soft sieze with that oil minimising damage.

• 04-02-2016 12:53 PM In reply to

So the latest is. After they claimed they could not find a fault with the scooter, I took it home and only the second time I rode it, it broke down again. So back it went to the workshop. Now, they have just informed me that they still cannot find a falt with the scooter and are going to send the motor down south to TGB. I hope they can find a problem. I have already payed $200 for the first time I brought it in, because they claimed there was nothing wrong. This drama is getting bigger.

• 04-03-2016 10:25 PM In reply to

Did it make a noise before stopping or just stop dead ?

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-04-2016 03:21 PM In reply to

Two things happened.

Firstly, the scooter started losing power and it felt like something was steadily stopping the motor with force. 15 metres of me trying to get away from the traffic on a slowly seizing bike and it ground to a halt. I walked it for ten metres, then it key started up again. It went fine for the next 100 metres 'till I got to work.

Secondly, that afternoon, four hours later, I started it up. This time, it just straight up cut out, after about 7metres, with no force of the motor stopping the bike whatsoever. And it was an instant cut out, not a gradual one. Then, I tried to start it up again and this time it jammed up the key and the kickstart. Is my bike possesed? Smile

• 04-04-2016 04:18 PM In reply to

Think INMA could be on the mony with the soft seize diagnosis & now a seizure Sad

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au