Scooter
Community

My Scooter Broke Down Need Help

Last post 04-24-2016 06:10 PM by pyrah. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2016 06:05 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

Re: My Scooter Broke Down Need Help

Its sounding more like a soft sieze or several that damaged the piston and bore until the damaged accelerated and finally the piston grabbed.

Given the dealer's lack of understanding of a very predictable failure, contact consumer affairs and get some assistance with your warranty claim.

Now for some advice on the side, modern two strokes run minimal oil to keep the smoke down. My experience is with stock 50cc engines, 10,000 km is a pretty good life for the piston. Not many people get to 10,000 km in the warranty so the manufacturers get away with it and the little two strokes remain cheap transport.

Luckily you should be able to get a new piston and cylinder under warranty but you will probably get another 10,000 km before it needs a new piston.

The good news is stock cylinder and piston kit are cheap and it takes about 30 minutes to change them.

When running the new piston in add about 10 ml of oil in the petrol tank to help even the wear in of the piston skirt. Running in avioding long flat out runs should take two tanks of fuel.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 04-04-2016 06:47 PM In reply to

Yes. Sounds right. But what I am confused about is. Why would a mechanic risk being proven wrong and go to the trouble of removing the motor and sending it to TGB, if he could see evidence of a soft sieze? Such as piston damage, or whatever the damage of a soft sieze is. Not a mechanic myself, (don't know a thing about motors really), but I would imagine that they would see some kind of damage. Actually, if anybody knows, I would appreciate it if you would tell me what evidence they might find for a soft sieze?

Thank, guys.Smile

• 04-04-2016 06:52 PM In reply to

Umm apologies to INMA. The post below yours was what I typed before yours was posted. So my post is relevant to the previous and not yours. Just thought I would explain that. It might have seemed a bit strange. Oh and thank you for the latest piece of info.Smile

• 04-04-2016 07:37 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

I've never seen a piston after a soft sieze so I can't comment on what would be visible. When I've had a soft sieze, I kept using the engine avoiding hard useage to get as much out of the piston until it finally died and would not start.

On removal, the bottom of the piston had heat damage and scratches with the scrapes up to the rings and the rings were jammed.

The good news is changing a cylinder and piston is easy. Youtube has lots of information on changing a cylinder and piston.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 04-04-2016 07:42 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

Just a small point, what makes you think the dealer pulled the cylinder off to check the piston? Given the low cost of parts, if I pulled it apart, I'd put a new cylinder and piston in to save further trouble.

• 04-04-2016 08:14 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

You would need to check models. I suspect this is a kit for your scooter.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/cylinder-MORINI-kit-engine-T-50cc-cylinder-cilindro-completo-komplette-Zylinder-/351649106211?var=&hash=item51dfeb8923:m:mon77dlKMKzNZsxQDfOWbGg

• 04-04-2016 09:04 PM In reply to

Thx for the link, I will check it out. To answer your question Inma, he told me that he opened up the scooter motor and assured me that it was, I quote, 'mickey mouse' inside the cylinder, the piston ring and the piston as well. Sorry if I did not mention this earlier. My bad. That inspection was alledgedly done the second last time it was there. He told me others at the shop also agreed with his findings. So I thought that was strange. What on earth? And no, he didn't replace the cylinder or the piston. I don't know why. If they are cheap parts, I find it madness to send a motor away, before trying that first.

• 04-05-2016 04:44 PM In reply to

I think they have found the problem. I just rang them before. One of the bearings in the crankshaft is shot. That would explain the screeching spinning sound I was hearing. Maybe after the engine cooled down it sort of stopped temporarily. Maybe that's why I was able to ride it around the block with no problem (at least in the beginning) but not at greater distanceConfused Maybe?

• 04-05-2016 07:48 PM In reply to

Hi

So after all of that we pulled it apart and found nothing wrong stuff 

Bull ***. !

Are they now going to fix it for nothing. ?

• 04-05-2016 08:52 PM In reply to

Yeah, that was pretty ordinary stuff from the mechanic really. I don't think I will be going back there anymore. When the warranty is done, so am I! Tongue Tied

To answer your question vita, I now have to wait for the paperwork to be sorted between them and TGB. I don't know who's going to pay for the second motor tear down! Plus the the last gear examination. But it won't be me. Wink 

After that, hopefully the only cost incurred by me is the $200 I allready payed them. I will then have to try to recover that too. It ain't over yet.

• 04-24-2016 12:08 PM In reply to

Well alls well that ends well. They fixed the crankshaft bearing free of charge and I got my $200 refunded as well. My scooter feels like it is running better than when the bike was new! Aside from the new bearing, maybe, also, putting in the correct spark plug and a couple of other small things they did have made this so. Anyway, I am happy with the result. Smile Now I can get to work by my own means. It was very inconvenient not having that!

Benson.

• 04-24-2016 01:27 PM In reply to

Good to hear you got it sorted. A lot of us here really appreciate it when people come back and tell the end of the story, rather than just mining the forums for opinions and information.

Glad to hear you got it sorted! After a few videos I've seen lately, I'm starting to respect TGB as a brand and I think they might be keen to stick around for the long term.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 04-24-2016 05:44 PM In reply to

Good news happy for you mateBig Smile

• 04-24-2016 06:10 PM In reply to

Too right Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au