Scooter
Community

BMW 2016 C650 GT & Sport test review and ride impressions

Last post 01-01-2017 10:40 AM by jpfvita. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2016 06:24 PM

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

BMW 2016 C650 GT & Sport test review and ride impressions

Whilst having the 30k service performed on the RT, Fernando, the scooter savvy sales rep, offered me a test ride of both the new 2016 C650 scooters. I'd been hanging to read reviews on the upgraded models, but so far ride reviews (as opposed to regurgitated press release info) in english have been difficult to find.

I took the C650 GT first up and headed off down the Old Pacific hwy before turning around at the Brooklyn turnoff and heading back to the dealership. This run up and down the hill to the Hawkesbury River bridge is a favorite for local bikers to test their snuff and perfect for test rides.

With about 30000k racked up on the previous version of the GT, my thoughts on the 2016 update as follows.

The motor/mechanical noises are quieter, more refined and no more 'Angry Tractor' as if some more soundproofing has been added as a gesture to quality. The new exhaust has a deeper tone but is not noticeably any louder. The handle bar covers are now finished as they should have always been and enhance the impression of the solid and quality build. Another welcome change is that it now takes about half the effort to get the scoots up on the centerstand.

The rear vision mirrors have slightly longer stalks so there is a better view behind, no more leaning to peer around your elbows.

However, the big change with this version is in the transmission. Now the variator and clutch are about as good as you could expect on such a machine. It launches from a standing start more briskly and without any hesitation at all. Also with the coast down to a stop, you cannot notice the clutch disengagement, it's all together more smooth across the board.
    The general riding experience otherwise is pretty much the same as the previous version. The spring rates have been softened but I really couldn't feel much difference, this may be just down to low miles on the demo and that my suspension has many more K's on it. Great comfort and protection as always, in the ride around the country sense. The more spirited handling performance was the same sure footed experience as well.

So transmission aside, the new GT is very much similar as to the previous version. Yes there's traction control and auto lighting but I'd imagine that some Dr Pulley sliders and HiT clutch would make the old very much like the new.

Next the C650 Sport. This model looks great, adopting family sport looks from the S model bikes.

Likewise, the mirrors are a little higher giving a better view from behind, classier bar covers and BMW have fixed the dodgy locks on the glove boxes.

Straight away you can feel the snappier throttle response that may be due to ride by wire programming. This works particularly well with the new transmission, creating an instant 'lets get up and go' vibe emphasizing it's more sporty character over the GT.
    It bolts off from the line without any hesitation, buttery smooth and very direct is another way to describe the transmission now.
    The sport flicks into the hairpins and switch backs effortlessly, aided by less wide handle bars and more aggresive front rake than the GT. Riding the Sport on twisty roads it really does exude that sense of urgency and sport bike behaviour. I really like this one, it is noticeably better than the previous generation Sport and a T-Max's strongest competition yet.

BMW have sucessfully separated the use case for these two mechanically alike machines. The GT is definitely the mile muncher, and the Sport is now just that, wanting to dash away from the lights, nip in and out of the traffic and carve up the canyons. There's a whole bunch of small tweaks that together make for a classier ride, a worthwile upgrade that also doesn't put the first iteration to shame.
    Interestingly, BMW in Australia have decided to release the refreshed models and retain the current promotional pricing, $13990 for the Sport and $14990 for the GT, both ride away. Hmmmmm Wink

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 03-14-2016 11:29 PM In reply to

Re: BMW 2016 C650 GT & Sport test ride impressions

Big Smile Nice write up will soon be tax return time Wink

• 03-15-2016 05:47 PM In reply to

Another two great bikes I can dream of owning one day.

• 03-24-2016 04:56 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Great review Eccles and I couldnt think of anyone with better experience to write it up. Your nod for the Sports is quite exciting. To me the redesigned fairing and lights make it a really sharp looking maxi. As you say a real option to ursurp the T Max as king of the Sports Maxis. The evolution of this second generation C650Sport was always going to be interesting as the previous model was a prototype. Now it looks like BMW knows that its not a lemon, have had time to think about it, and now is seriously ready to blow the sports maxi market wide open. I think $14000 is also excellent bang for buck for what they're offering. Hmmmmm! Can't wait to having a ride myself. This could be the one. Thanks Matey. 

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-24-2016 08:28 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

The new C's do look good, from my sit it seems they fixed everything people complained about. Especially the plastic, it now feels more like a BMW should. I am wondering if the riding position has been fiddled on the Sport, as I found the first gen to be not quite right. The GT was better, and so is the Tmax.

So far the only thing I don't like about the new ones is that exhaust, the design is a bit over-cooked. I hope it is as easy to swap as the first gen was!

Pete, make sure you ride both before you buy, I found quite unexpectedly that I preferred the GT. You might as well refresh your memory of the Max while you're at it...

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 03-24-2016 09:04 PM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

Do get what you say about the exhaust, Akroptovic have already released an alternative option.

fluffy:
    I am wondering if the riding position has been fiddled on the Sport, as I found the first gen to be not quite right. The GT was better, and so is the Tmax.

I didn't touch on this, but interestingly when I got back from the rides and chatting with Fernando, we both agreed that the sport's seat was more comfortable than that of the previous version. For me the riding position seemed much the same, the difference was more in slight reshaping and softer padding. I got the impression that the new pew would be better for longer rides and with a little more room to move around on.

Some youtubes of motorbike reviewers experiencing scoots, and 2016 C series at that, for the 1st time.

https://youtu.be/wN4lBbvMTNk

https://youtu.be/rt86POHDj10 

Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 08-04-2016 09:39 AM In reply to

• Nokey1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2014
    • Posts 3

Re: BMW 2016 C650 GT & Sport test review and ride impressions

Hi All,

Just purchased a  new c6502016  from procycles where i originally purchased my 2nd hand paiggeo beverlky 4 years ago..

Got a great deal..and so fare after 360 clicks couldnt be happier....

This bike get up and goes and the handling is superb...

Thought i may lose a bit of my city traffic mobilty but havent at all....

I dont travel long distances but have taken it for a few squirts...just have to be careful of the speed as this thing just flys...

• 08-05-2016 10:07 AM In reply to

Hi.

Congratulations they are very nice machines is yours the sport Or the GT. ?

If I had the money I would like the sport Or a Tmax, maybe one day I'll sell the VFR and the RF 900 and get a good second hand one. 

• 08-05-2016 07:33 PM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

Nokey1:
    Just purchased a  new c6502016  from procycles

Welcome, and congratulations, have to admit to being a tich jealous. Was that a Sport or GT?

If you reckon it gets up and goes, wait until you've put 10,000K's or more on her. The donk, suspension and seats do run in quite nicely by then and produce even more zipidy-do-da.

My GT is rolling up to 20,000k's, and I am sure it's quicker than most (non R) 650cc bikes! Big Smile

Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 08-10-2016 01:16 PM In reply to

These are the reviews I like to read.   My TMax will be up for sale soon as I move from 2 wheels back to 4 for a while.   The C650 Sport will certianly be on the list when I return to 2 wheels. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-10-2016 01:38 PM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

These are the reviews I like to read.   My TMax will be up for sale soon as I move from 2 wheels back to 4 for a while.   The C650 Sport will certianly be on the list when I return to 2 wheels. 

• 08-10-2016 01:47 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Pretty much.  The agreement to sell the TMax has given me free reign on which car is selected.  I've been given a price cap and thats it.  So there are some positives.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-10-2016 04:44 PM In reply to

Has life beat the spirit out of you Zip. ?

• 08-10-2016 04:58 PM In reply to

jpfvita:

Not quite.  Taking on the stay at home dad role next year so the TMax will not get used as apparently Yamaha don't do a baby seat attachment.  Figure someone else might as well enjoy it and I use the dollars to buy a nicer car to get around in.   Perhaps an import or something from the VW group with a turbo.

I'll be back to two wheels eventually but for the next short period it will be pedal powered bikes only for me. 

• 08-10-2016 05:01 PM In reply to

jpfvita:

Devil If not maybe the sleepless nights will Zip it!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au