Scooter
Community

Modding my new GTS300

Last post 11-04-2017 08:04 AM by aspro boy. 104 replies.
Page 2 of 7 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2016 05:05 PM In reply to

Re: Modding my new GTS300

Makes the scooter meet European emission regulations. Also restricts the exhaust, causing a slight drop in performance and noise.

• 06-03-2016 05:16 PM In reply to

Might be lack of knowledge on my end but surely bikes also need to meet emissions criteria here in Aus?   

I know removed the cats from vehicles is a big no no when it comes to licencing unless you are driving a pre 86 vehicle (based off WA rules).   

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 06-03-2016 05:44 PM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

Might be lack of knowledge on my end but surely bikes also need to meet emissions criteria here in Aus?   

I know removed the cats from vehicles is a big no no when it comes to licencing unless you are driving a pre 86 vehicle (based off WA rules).   

Not sure on motorcycles as not compulsory to have them on new motorcycles for sale but if they come with them fitted as new then probably illegal to remove

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-03-2016 05:46 PM In reply to

Double post Embarrassed

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-27-2017 10:21 PM In reply to

A year has past and my GTS300 has done a little over 6000 km, and I am now ready for the big one. I have a Malossi 282 cc cylinder and piston and a V4 head to go with them, sitting in my shed. I have saved up enough coke bottles to receive the drained coolant and engine oil, and now I am waiting for a weather forecast of several consecutive dry days with temperatures in the low 20s before I begin removing the engine.

In the past this transplant operation has taken about 3 days, but now my back complains and I will have to do it more gently. The scooter will be outdoors on the patio, covered with a large plastic bag, while I have the engine on my workbench. I have performed this operation about 4 times previously, but the GTS300 FL has a few more fiddly bits to worry about, like ABS and ASR wiring, and a lot more connectors holding wires and tubes in place. Problem is where everything goes when I re-assemble. I usually have one or two washers left over.

Wish me luck!

Mike

• 01-28-2017 12:35 AM In reply to

A man of your talents don't need me to wish you good luck Big Smile regarding bad back had a slipped disk a few years ago . Now put a back brace on when doing any bending or lifting but only use when actually working as i believe wearing all the time weakens the muscles . Another thing i take if my back is bad on a morning is a couple of panadeine (chemist own brand) that dulls the pain for me enough to get freely moving for the rest of the day 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-28-2017 01:55 AM In reply to

That's a bummer about the back, Pyrah. Is Physio any help?

Aprilia 200ie
  • 01-28-2017 03:02 AM In reply to

martindemo:

That's a bummer about the back, Pyrah. Is Physio any help?

Most likely when i did it but there was no physio near where i lived but got some back exercises from the doctor . Good now if i'm sensible when i lift or twist can go for months now without a twinge Big Smile

Image result for bad back cartoon images

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-28-2017 05:03 PM In reply to

My back aches when I am washing the dishes, sink just a bit too low, and also when I am tucking in the sheets/blankets when making the bed. A couple of months ago I could touch my toes, but now I am about 3 cm short of it. Haven't been getting enough aerobic exercise the last 3 months while looking after Philippa, but I hope to get back to Scottish Country Dancing again next month. Should help.

This morning I installed the rings in the Malossi piston, and had a problem fitting the two scraper rings. Turned out the wavy ring between them was a bit too long, and was overlapping itself and clogging the groove. 1mm snipped off the end solved that.

Mike

• 01-29-2017 12:46 AM In reply to

That's a good result re Doctor. I hope that riding on scoots and bikes does not put the back out

Aprilia 200ie
  • 01-29-2017 12:50 AM In reply to

Gee Mike, ya'd reckon that on an item like that that the ring size would be bang on.

Interested to hear how speed/performance is one its all run-in

Aprilia 200ie
  • 01-30-2017 10:58 AM In reply to

Mike -Having met you I found you to be a great guy who like me is not getting any younger .From what I have read above it seems you are spending a lot of time and effort in trying to make your new scooter better than what it was originally built for Maybe you will succeed but that is valuable time you could have spent on other things like riding .

Mike --We only get a certain amount of time on this earth and when you reach my age you appreciate it even more

But if it you are having fun --then do it  

riding for fun
  • 01-30-2017 04:38 PM In reply to

GO The Vespa    We havnt had so many ansers , Good answers Long convos To one thread in ages .   Good to see

• 01-30-2017 05:45 PM In reply to

Thanks, Rod, but the GTS300 is in no way optimal. The 125, 250 and 300 all use much the same air filter, cylinder head, exhaust, suspension, etc. So there is plenty of room a bit of fiddling to bring it up to its potential.

My GTS250 was probably the fastest automatic Vespa around in Sydney (until another guy fitted a V4 head to his 300), and it won the concourse d'elegance at the Sydney national rally, so I have a reputation to live up to.  

As you say, we are getting old, but I am not ready to hang up my crash helmet and spanner yet. Besides, fiddling and tweaking is fun!   Big Smile

Mike

• 01-30-2017 09:21 PM In reply to

jpfvita:

GO The Vespa    We havnt had so many ansers , Good answers Long convos To one thread in ages .   Good to see

Image result for 1000 posts animation

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 2 of 7 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au