Scooter
Community

Modding my new GTS300

Last post 09-16-2017 06:09 PM by Mike Holland. 91 replies.
Page 3 of 7 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2017 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: Modding my new GTS300

WTF! You expect a medal or something?  Huh? 

It's just a quirk of the decimal system, and has no other significance.

• 01-31-2017 08:54 AM In reply to

If that's meany for me YES PLEASE TWO MEDALS write something great about me aswel

AND MAKE IT QUICK !!

• 01-31-2017 09:05 AM In reply to

OK, I'll cut out two cardboard medals and put them in the post. Big Smile

• 02-03-2017 05:42 PM In reply to

Quick progress report. Having stocked up on the required engine oil, coolant and hose clamps, I set to work at 3 pm today.

Drained all the crankcase oil and coolant, removed the exhaust and all the suspension on that side, disconnected the airfilter, spark plug lead, hoses, inlet manifold and all the clips around the transmission housing supporting brake hose etc. Most difficult part was that rear axle nut. Had to bring out the heavy artillery and use the impact driver. So now the engine is just connected through the left suspension and the swivel arm. Not bad for 2 hours work.

So next thing (tomorrow) is to remove the rear wheel, the rear brake calipers, brake disc and mudguard, get the body supported on a plank on bricks to take the weight off the stand. The engine must be supported on more bricks on a wooden sheet (old wooden bath mat), for easy sliding. Then I can release the left suspension and remove the long bolt through the swivel arm, and slide the engine out.  And the fun part begins!

• 02-03-2017 08:22 PM In reply to

Wow big job what is the expected power increase ?

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-03-2017 08:30 PM In reply to

Peak HP up about 3 horses. and about 6 more over 7500 - 9000 rpm, where the standard engine drops off a lot. But the ECU needs re-tuning to really take advantage of it.

When I put much the same kit on my GTS250, it had more power than my new 300 has. 

Mike

• 02-03-2017 09:58 PM In reply to

Do they make a power commander or similar for the gts

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-04-2017 09:46 AM In reply to

There are several options. PM Tuning have a TDI module which I have in my shed, but I couldn't get any instructions for setting it up, and couldn't get any results out of it. Motorsport in the USA have the same box under a different name, for half the price, but couldn't give any support.

Malossi produce their ForceMaster 2 for the job, but the one I bought was faulty, and the setup didn't work. No support from Malossi or SIP (where I bought it), so that also sits in my shed.

Polini recently came out with their version  -  no reports on it yet.

It is possible to re-program the ECU, and some guys in Germany and Austria specialize in this. D Moto down in Clyde have the correct mapping for my setup, and I might visit them one day.

In the meantime, I have a larger fuel injector and a Malossi Lambda Emulator, which do help.

Mike 

• 02-04-2017 05:56 PM In reply to

Progress report. The engine is now out and on my workbench. I have removed the head, but the cylinder is being a bit more difficult. Those little O-rings on the studs make it stick, so I am unscrewing the studs.

Enough for one day.

• 02-05-2017 04:04 PM In reply to

Piston and cylinder all in place. Now working on the cam and valve gaps, but had to give up because of the heat.

I have mislaid my 10 mm socket spanner. Guess I will have to tidy everything and sweep the garage floor to find it. Botheration! It is so indispensible when working on a GTS.

Mike

• 02-05-2017 05:56 PM In reply to

Agh--Mike --this is worse than my having a hip teplacement -

Dont you have a spunky ypung nurse there to look after your instruments of trade and hand you the 10mm socket when you need it

Fancy carrying out an operation like this with a dirty floor

Dont you know that Vespa 300 are subject to other diseases like rust, metal fatigue and fuel cough and can contact any of those through germs from dirty operating theatres

You should have a tray of socket spanners all sterilised and ready for use and a team of doctors nurses to help you in this procedure

A bright light helps also

riding for fun
  • 02-05-2017 07:54 PM In reply to

Dirt is good. It keeps your immune system active and builds up resistance.

But I like the idea of a pretty nurse to hand me my instruments. I must look into that.

• 02-05-2017 08:51 PM In reply to

Will this one do Stick out tongue

Image result for nurse scooter cartoon

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-05-2017 11:27 PM In reply to

Does she know a spannr from a screwdriver?

• 02-05-2017 11:35 PM In reply to

Come on

Would it really matter. ?

Page 3 of 7 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au