Scooter
Community

Modding my new GTS300

Last post 11-04-2017 08:04 AM by aspro boy. 104 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2017 12:05 AM In reply to

Re: Modding my new GTS300

No think more of a wrench wench Smile

Image result for wrench pinup

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-06-2017 10:28 AM In reply to

Vespas also suffer from the Vespa Virus therefore you should get your scooter vaccinated

Such vaccination should only be administered in a sterile environment like the Sydney Scooter club

or the Royal Bastards Scooter club from Sacramento

Nurses like the lass above should be on hand to help in case of a negative reaction

Vespas are very particular about who gives them the treatment so make sure you have the necessary qualifications tools and equipment to perform the operation People of chinese origan and former owners of Lambrettas are advised not to attend or be within earshot .

riding for fun
  • 02-06-2017 04:38 PM In reply to

Getting back to the topic ....

I went down to Mitchell's Engineering in North Hornsby for a new 10 mm socket, but they had every size except that one. Next I tried Hardware and General near the station, but they had no metric sockets.

Then I went home, got out a torch and brush and started searching. Found it under the workbench, cowering beneath some folding garden chairs. So back to work.

The head is now fitted and the next stage is the timing gear on the end of the camshaft. This is a bit complicated, but with the aid of the diagrams in the Malossi instructions I have done it several times before, so it should be easy. Then the valve cover, and the engine goes back in the body, and for that I need some cooler weather as that has to be done out of doors. 

• 02-06-2017 05:43 PM In reply to

WTF Wink what sort of dump do you live in 10 mm sockets in 1/4 3/8 &1/2 inch are 10 a penny around here Stick out tongue

Image result for 10mm socket

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-06-2017 09:22 PM In reply to

I don't live in a dump. My 10mm had to work very hard to find somewhere to hide from me.

What sort of dump do you live in, with sockets of all sizes and no doubt other industrial waste lying all over? Huh?

• 02-06-2017 09:44 PM In reply to

Image result for alien face animationLOL maybe soon will save on torch batteries Big Smile

Image result for flinders ranges nuclear waste dump

Image result for flinders ranges nuclear waste dump

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-07-2017 10:56 AM In reply to

Some good advice -- Take extra care in tightening Bolts screws etc in this hot weather

The metal would have expanded due to the heat and if you tighten under hot conditions the metal will contract when it gets cooler and matbe Nuts Screws etc will loosen off

You could probably have tightened those 10mm nuts with a pair of tweezers considering their size

When did they declare Berowra a nuclear Free zone--after all it does have a RSL club

riding for fun
  • 02-07-2017 11:36 AM In reply to

Don't know. I live in Berowra Heights, not Berowra!  Cool

• 02-07-2017 12:48 PM In reply to

Funny how Berowra has a postcode of 2081 and Berowra Waters and Berowra Heights has a postcode of 2082

Does the Waters and Heights have anything to do with the tides being in or out

You might be better off in Berowra where tidal fluctuations are not a problem

riding for fun
  • 02-07-2017 06:34 PM In reply to

The weather was kind this afternoon, and I now have the engine back in the scooter. The swivel shaft is in place, but the shocks are not connected yet, so it is all mounted on bricks for another night..

Had a real hassle lining the engine up with the body to get the swivel shaft in, and then I had a stroke of genius, and moved the body to line up with the engine. Then it was a piece of cake! 

Hope the weather is as kind again tomorrow.

• 02-07-2017 09:10 PM In reply to

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks for taking us on this mod journey. I am not adept at mechanical surgery myself, being only able to maintain my vehicles in the traditional way. I totally get the therapy and creative aspect of what you are achieving. I get my therapy by turning a tool or two toward my pushies, where I enjoy modest capabilities. Rewarding to personalize your machinery.

Remember, don't throw anything out that appears left over - but you know that already. LOL

• 02-08-2017 10:41 AM In reply to

Most important

Dont forget to put the back wheel on --its that round metal thing with a rubber tyre on it --and dont drop it on the floor cos you might never find it

riding for fun
  • 02-08-2017 10:52 AM In reply to

Aspro -- I too am enjoying hearing about Mike and all the trouble he is going to in maybe achieving an extra 1KPH out of his machine

I also question will he pull it all apart if Vespa bring out a 400cc version and he decides to sell and upgrade again

Like you Aspro  I used to do a heap of my own maintainence on my vehicles but these days it is an effort to check tyre pressures

You really need a good clean garage or workshop to do this sort of changeover

Cant wait to catch up with Mike once he has finished the OPERATION

riding for fun
  • 02-08-2017 11:49 AM In reply to

I already got more than 1 hp with my airfilter mod, the Akra exhaust, and the Lambda emulator. Now I am going for an extra 6 hp or so. I know what this mod did for my GTS250, made it a good bit more powerful than any standard 300, so I know why I am doing this mod, and what to expect.

If I won the lottery, I might go a bit further with a better camshaft and an ECU remap. Graham (Zirri01) in Austria has achieved 30 hp. But the new GTS300 FL already has a better camshaft, so I don 't know how much better his one would be.

If Piaggio brought out a 400, and it still looked lke a Vespa, then it would be first in line for my next upgrade. But I have to get my moneys worth out of this one first, at least 50,000 km. 

Progress: -  Rear wheel and suspension now all in place, so I can wheel the scooter into the shed if the weather gets nasty (either too wet of too hot).

Edit: So far my back hasn't complained at all. There is still some use in this old body!. Now back to work.

• 02-08-2017 05:25 PM In reply to

Lucky for you not in my dump today as is 43 out there + the same for the next 3 days Sad

Image result for vespa sad

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 4 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au