Scooter
Community

Modding my new GTS300

Last post 11-04-2017 08:04 AM by aspro boy. 104 replies.
Page 5 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2017 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: Modding my new GTS300

Isnt it a shame that people like mike with his intimate knowledge of Vespas ,is not employed by them in producing a product that doesnt need upgrading

A wise head on old shoulders virtually going to waste

That is unless the Vespa deliberately holds back on incorporating the improvements that Mike is making so that they can bring out new models every year

riding for fun
  • 02-09-2017 11:20 AM In reply to

Thanks for those kind words, but you miss the point completely. If a perfect Vespa was produced, I would buy an old PX or something and start modding the hell out of it.

Besides, who would the scooter be perfect for? We all want different things in our scooters. I feel that I don't buy a scooter, I buy the raw materials to make the scooter I want. What comes out of the shop is just the beginnings.

Mike

• 02-09-2017 11:53 AM In reply to

We're still lucky we can still modify things the younger generations say after Euro 6 will probably be stuck with what they buy to keep to the emission standards

(Introduction of durability requirements, together with on-board diagnostics (OBD) requirements, will help to maintain low emission levels over vehicle life.)

Rod as you know all new cars motorcycles scooters are vastly superior to the model they replace or so the advertising goes . Make you wonder how the previous sh1t box even got around the block ones

Image result for old model car cartoon

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-09-2017 01:25 PM In reply to

Finished. Just have to top up the coolant and the crankcase oil before testing. Hardest part was tightening those two nuts that hold the exhaust manifold on to the cylinder. But along the way I made a couple of mistakes which involved undoing and redoing things.

Not a single washer or nut left over!

Edit: But every time I do this job, I have a coolant leak somewhere!

• 02-09-2017 04:38 PM In reply to

Watch out --I can see a Pie and coffee coming on even if it is 40cDeg in the shade

Anyone seeing a bright blue vespa travelling at supersonic speeds on the Serpent better watch out

The rider is an elderly gentleman known affectionally as "The Vespa Kid " 

For the sake of mental stability do not under any circumstances mention 10mm socket wrenches within his hearing

riding for fun
  • 02-09-2017 04:58 PM In reply to

Well done Mike looking forward to finding out how she runs .

Maybe one day we can find out how long it can hang with the big 400 ice burg .

• 02-09-2017 05:27 PM In reply to

No leaks! Started immediately and purred like a kitten. I switched off the ASR and revved the engine a bit, and then topped up the oil and coolant.

Went for a ride along the street, and then to the shops. Only problem is I have to run it in a bit now. Not exeed 80 for a few days, and then keep varying the speed. Have to discipline myself. Rod, if I do go to PITS tomorrow, and that is very likely, then it certainly won't be for hot coffee. It will be iced coffee.

Edit: I did go to PITS today, and I didn't have iced coffee, just my usual large flat white. And I didn't have a pie, Rod, because I am trying to watrch my waistline.

• 02-18-2017 01:15 PM In reply to

Well, I guess I have finished running it in,, although I haven't held it at 110 for long on the freeway yet.

Coming home from PITS, WOT down that first straight, it used to hit 95 at the first bend. Now it reaches 105 kph. That's 10% better. (OK, I will be watching out for the speed cameras next time I go there). Haven't a clue about top speed, but it is still pulling strongly at 120 kph.

• 02-18-2017 04:26 PM In reply to

10.5 % is a worthwhile improvement with a bit more to come methinks Yes

Chasing phat vespa ?

Image result for speed demon vespa

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-18-2017 05:31 PM In reply to

To still be pulling strong at 120kph

Is very good for a 300cc scooter because

I know the Burgman hasn't a great deal left after that , put it this way if a car in front of me was

already doing 120 and for some reason I had to

pass I'd say I would have to plan it with abit of Care .

• 02-18-2017 06:10 PM In reply to

Ok, that's speedometer speed, not GPS speed. About 5 kph difference.

But the new electronic speedos are about 5 kph fast, where the old cable ones were 10 kph fast. So an indicated 115 on the new scooter is about the same as an indicated 120 kph on the old. Makes it difficult to compare new scooter with old.

• 02-18-2017 06:53 PM In reply to

I so enjoy this thread...

Aprilia 200ie
  • 02-18-2017 10:00 PM In reply to

So how far did you run it before you considered that it was 'run-in'?

• 02-18-2017 10:45 PM In reply to

From Berowra, twice to Pie in the Sky, and once to Epping. Did mostly 90-100 opn the M1 going to Epping, and kept varying the speed. Still haven't kept it at WOT for any extended period.

• 02-19-2017 10:58 AM In reply to

Pull over rider says that tall slender uniformed gentleman with his sunnys on and cap pulled well down over his forehead --Licence please--Is that really the year you were born ??? better blow into this bag and run this applicator over your tongue a couple of times

Have you been drinking or taking illegal drugs because guys of your age dont normally ride at that speed

I clocked you at 70klm over the speed limit and on a vehicle of that size its a wonder you didnt blow the engine up

Wheels of that size are not meant to rotate that quickly

So please step over here and put your hands behind your back

riding for fun
Page 5 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au