Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Double D rings

Last post 09-27-2016 08:11 AM by Swampy. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-26-2016 03:13 PM

• Swampy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2015
    • Gisborne Victoria
    • Posts 21

Double D rings

I've just bought a new helmet and expected it to have a quick release strap as per the picture and website. It has the double D fitting and I'm wondering if I am missing something and the quick release strap is only available overseas. Is it a requirement for helmets to have the double D fitting in Oz, or is there a safety issue involved?  My arthritic thumbs are making it hard to do the strap up, especially with a new not so supple strap.

Pete in Gisborne.
  • 08-26-2016 04:40 PM In reply to

Re: Double D rings

All the Helmets with a AS1698 certification i have had except a Laser open face helmet have had the D ring fastening system even when overseas models have had the clip fastener   Now that we can use helmets with european ECE 22-05 compliance you may be able to find a helmet with a fastener easier for you to use . I would return the new helmet for a refund stating the helmet is not like the one in the picture though sometimes pictures state overseas model shown

Image result for convicts first fleet cartoon

• 08-26-2016 05:12 PM In reply to

Hi swampy

I have just looked on the net and from whatI read they are legal in NSW so you should have got yours the way you wonted it. 

• 08-26-2016 05:39 PM In reply to

• Swampy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2015
    • Gisborne Victoria
    • Posts 21

Thanks guys, I will keep the helmet because it suits the purpose for local riding. I was curious as I thought with a small market like ours, the manufacturers wouldn't be bothered changing a fitting just for us.

It's a bit like car indicators, most don't comply with the design standards that used to be in force here. Or is my eyesight getting worse??

Time to hit the road and road test the new head protector.

Pete in Gisborne.
  • 08-26-2016 05:54 PM In reply to

Swampy, the double D rings are quick release. A little slow to do up  -  you push the strap through both rings and then push a loop back around the outer D ring and through trhe inner D ring. But to undo it you just pull the end to undo the loop and then pull the strap out of the rings. Just yank-yank and it is undone.

But I understand your problem with doing it up -- mine is a bit short and also stiff, so I battle a bit too.

Mike

• 08-26-2016 08:15 PM In reply to

Have a read of this conversion Swampy Click

Image result for Echo Quick Release Helmet Buckle

• 08-26-2016 08:55 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Got one. Works well.

The Red Menace
  • 08-27-2016 10:14 AM In reply to

• Swampy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2015
    • Gisborne Victoria
    • Posts 21

Mike Holland:

Swampy, the double D rings are quick release. A little slow to do up  -  you push the strap through both rings and then push a loop back around the outer D ring and through trhe inner D ring. But to undo it you just pull the end to undo the loop and then pull the strap out of the rings. Just yank-yank and it is undone.

But I understand your problem with doing it up -- mine is a bit short and also stiff, so I battle a bit too.

Mike

I didn't know that method. The problem I had when I bought my scooter and helmet 18 months ago was it was my first motor cycle and helmet, and I had no one to show me all the little tricks. That's what you get from living 55km from the big smoke and the only scooterer in the area. The reason I got the new helmet was the problem of getting the full face helmut on with glasses. Even putting the glasses on with the visor up was a pain as my ears would roll over as the helmet was a little tight. I then got an open face helmet from Aldi to use for quick trips to the shops, garage etc. but it didn't have a visor, but I could put it on with glasses still on.

So now I have a Nolan N-21 and it fits perfectly and I have no problems getting it on with glasses ,and it has a visor which I needed as the bugs hurt. The only problem which might get better is the strap is not long enough to undo enough to remove the helmet without undoing the strap completely if that makes sense. Your method looks like the way to go but I might get one of the quick release fittings Dave recomended as they are not to expensive and look pretty neat.

Thanks for all the advice.

Pete in Gisborne.
  • 09-26-2016 04:43 PM In reply to

• Bugs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2010
    • North Lakes, Brisbane
    • Posts 29

My AGV K-3 has quick release and AS1698. Not sure why some do and some don't have quick release. I know generally the more you spend on a full face race replica you only get double D fasteners. 

Before:
    Suzuki GT380, Honda CB750K7, Suzuki RG250, Suzuki TS250X (x2), Honda XR350, Kawasaki GPZ600R, Suzuki GSXR750, Kawasaki ZX6R, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati Monster 750, Yamaha YZF750R, Kawasaki Z750, Yamaha WR400 Super Motard, Ducati Monster S2R1000, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Yamaha BeeWee 100, Piaggio Fly 150, Yamaha YZF-R6, KTM 690SM, Ducati 900SS, DRZ400SM (another one).

Now an Aerox 50.

Now:
    Waiting for a replacement
  • 09-27-2016 08:11 AM In reply to

• Swampy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2015
    • Gisborne Victoria
    • Posts 21

I've bought the Echo quick release fitting and expect it soon from Amazon. The technique from Mike Holland has made a huge difference to my helmut use, especially at the petrol pump. The long line of cars waiting for me to get my helmut back on has stopped!!

Pete in Gisborne.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au