Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Future of scooters

Last post 02-12-2017 11:21 PM by Mike Holland. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-25-2016 11:47 AM

Future of scooters

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE Left HugclickRight Hug

• 12-25-2016 04:44 PM In reply to

Re: Future of scooters

The automatic drive of the scooter will slowly transform the motorbike riders onto scooters  Why mess around changing gears

Rising fuel costs ,parking availability plus the immense increase in traffic flow will turn people onto scooters

Generations of single drivers with no passengers will slowly make the public realise that driving a 4 passenger vehicle with 3 seats empty  is just plain crazy

Yes scooters have a future --a big one in my opinion but regrettfully i wont be around to see it

Those Italians sure knew something when they made the  first Vespa

riding for fun
  • 12-25-2016 11:50 PM In reply to

The automatic drive of the scooter will slowly transform the motorbike riders onto scooters
    It hasn't yet. Scooter riders and Motorcycle riders aren't the same demographic, they crossover but they usually have different wants and needs.

Why mess around changing gears
    Because it's fun, it's still more efficient with smaller motors to use a manual box vs a cvt this may well improve but at the moment the cvt still has disadvantages.Compare an R15 to a similar size scoot.

Rising fuel costs ,parking availability plus the immense increase in traffic flow will turn people onto scooters

Agreed, but it hasn't yet, in this country anyway. Throw in the cold in the southern states [discomfort] heat in the northern ones makes reasonable protective riding apparel uncomfortable and impractical.Govt incentives and some practical parking and traffic conditions may change that.
    But there is no indication of such things coming from our current demagogues.

Generations of single drivers with no passengers will slowly make the public realise that driving a 4 passenger vehicle with 3 seats empty  is just plain crazy

Still a great many single commuters in 6 cylinder old tech family cars everyday, not to mention the popularity of the 4wd diesel behemoth.
    Rego conditions and the previously mentioned traffic and parking changes could possibly change that.

Yes scooters have a future --a big one in my opinion but regrettfully i wont be around to see it
    Europe shows that but there need to be some major changes here before anything changes.
    Social status linked to vehicles and the behaviour of a great many Australian motorists
    .Just to start.

Those Italians sure knew something when they made the  first Vespa.

• 12-26-2016 07:49 AM In reply to

In the great nanny state of Victoria, and I suspect most places where Politicians exist in this "post-truth" society, Motorcycling and Scootering is doomed.

The simple economics of 2 wheels in Victoria doesn't stack up. It's not a transport strategy, it's a leisure activity to the Bureaucracy, and taxed and charged accordingly. 

Getting a License:

Car, $40 for a Learners, $100 for a License, out and away on your own at age 18

Bike - $250 for a Learners (AND you have to be 18), licensing is a further $3-400. 

Rego: Anything over 499cc and you're up for the same rego/CTP as a full sized car, and the Motorcycle Safety "Levy"

Any muppet unlicensed on an unregistered dirtbike meets their inevitable conclusion, and suddenly all riders are blamed/targeted. Replace dirtbike with bushbomb and suddenly it's the operator.

The only thing Victoria has done in recent memory is allow riders control over their own safety by allowing lane filtering.

Scootering is still seen as the realm of Audrey Hepburn wannabees. I choose to break the mold.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 12-26-2016 09:55 AM In reply to

Gee guys -- how about some positive vibes

You couldnt expect anything positive from Victoria

Victoria where every now and then the fog lifts and you can see the rain and the Yarra is still not dry enough to plough

The state where the CFMEU is in control and they try to tell school kids what gender they are

Heaven help Victorians because no one else will

riding for fun
  • 12-26-2016 10:10 AM In reply to

I think two-wheelers are doomed as serious means of transport; yes, they could be a tool for reducing traffic cogestion, but that's equally true today and we see that authorities are not that concerned - they are more interested in "safety"... and charging for parking. I think motorcycles will get slowly legislated out of existence on public roads and the process will accelerate when cars become autonomous then interconnected... at which point driver/rider will become the least desireable element in the whole system. Since a self-riding motorcycle is  both difficult and pointless, this will be another incentive to remove them from the road.  I expect that within 20 years or so motorcycles will only exist as toys for the rich to be used on dedicated track... and they will be all electric.

• 12-26-2016 12:02 PM In reply to

Hmm Looks like my lighthearted scooter to jetpack cartoon  blow up somewhat Big Smile

Image result for TFA Merry Christmas Sari (Sari Gets Her Jetpack)

• 12-26-2016 05:17 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 822

Scooters and motorbikes are losing market share in Victoria because of political forces.

Some other States allow motorbikes and scooters to be deregistered in the colder, wet dangerous months so riders can pick the seasons the want to ride in.

And many other things stacked against us.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 12-26-2016 06:02 PM In reply to

I think two-wheelers are doomed as serious means of transport; yes, they could be a tool for reducing traffic cogestion, but that's equally true today and we see that authorities are not that concerned - they are more interested in "safety"... and charging for parking. I think motorcycles will get slowly legislated out of existence on public roads and the process will accelerate when cars become autonomous then interconnected... at which point driver/rider will become the least desireable element in the whole system. Since a self-riding motorcycle is  both difficult and pointless, this will be another incentive to remove them from the road.  I expect that within 20 years or so motorcycles will only exist as toys for the rich to be used on dedicated track... and they will be all electric.

Make it 50 years and I'll be fine with that, 20 ? Nooooooooo.

Sadly enough I suspect your right, the self driving communal neighbourhood small car share fleet will probably kill two wheeled recreation.

• 12-26-2016 09:03 PM In reply to

What gets me here is the lack of knock -on effect from Asia re scoots and small motorbikes.

You would think that Thais and others migrating here might grasp at small bikes+scoots as they would know them from their own countries.

Likewise you would think that some of the young folk who rented O.s may be temted to take up scoots here, if only as local runabouts.

i'm sure that this is happening to some extanet but, from what I see, not as much as U would think.

the young Thais I know are all saving to get the groovy  4cyl Jap  20door with the weird stickers.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 12-27-2016 10:46 AM In reply to

Human nature being what it is means we destroy many of the good things we have in life and leave ourselves with a great big empty void

We no longer have penny farthing bikes which were probably much more dangerous than any motorbike or scooter but would have been fabulous to ride if you could

We think we are progressing with things like facebook ,twitter etc but look at all the problems these have created

Our kids are not learning the basic reading writting and arithmetic but being taught that they should consider whether they are boys or girls --shame I shouldnt have called them that --gender bending is more important

If riding motor scooters or hankering for some of the things we used to do is wrong then Im glad that in a few years I wont be here to see the changes

I can foresee coming generations so sterilised that it will be like living in a world of sombies --

riding for fun
  • 12-27-2016 11:23 AM In reply to

The good old days are gone, Rod. The heyday of scootering was in nthe fifties and sixties -  sixty years ago, long before most current scooterists were born. There was a brief Indian Summer of scootering in the nineties when the new automatics came out, and that was it.

Us few oldies can stil rmember those good old days, when crash helmets were optional, there were no speed cameras, you could park anywhere, you could squeeze three or four people onto a scooter, and there were no rego inspections, so you could ride the most dilapidated piece of junk as long as it could go and (hopefully) stop.

Fond memories. We can sit in our wheelchairs and dream!

Mike

• 12-27-2016 12:00 PM In reply to

Mike -

Can I echo your sentiments by adding that ..

In those heady days of past there was an air of "can-do" as apposed the present attitude of "can't-do".

It is little wonder that today's young people  wish to persue 'retro' as some holy grail to be desired.

Right now  I am working on changing my scooter yet again ......  New year - new bike - can-do - will do !

A happy New Year to fellow scooter riders.

Cheers

• 12-27-2016 06:59 PM In reply to

That's right. Scooters weren't so "sacred" then. A few scratches and dents didn't matter. I can recall our club playing soccer on our Vespas, and there were quite a few spills. My scooter at that time had crashbars, so I got off lightly.

Mike 

• 12-29-2016 06:10 PM In reply to

I dont honestly believe in the total demise of scooters although there may be many manufacturers  who stop producing

The known brand leaders like Vespa Tmax Burgman ,maybe BMW plus Kymco Honda will continue but others will fade away

We may see another resurgence if new features are added but like a lot of motorbikes the same will happen

The good old days have gone and what we have is a world that wants new sophisicated products that do not date

I recall when as a youth on Bondi with my mates if a girl lost her top in a wave it was the topic of conversation for a week --today nobody cares because we've all seen it before

As they say in advertising -- it has to be bloody good or bloody awful to attract the publics interest  and the problem is that nearly everyone has done it once before

Remember the advert ''Where do you get it "---it drove you nuts

There wont be any geared scooters in the future and probably most will have plastic panelling

Scooter manufacturers  will probably aim at the youth market that wants slick fast cheap transport for him and his girl to go to the beach and the older guy like me will have to buy a large  2nd hand older unit if i want to ride to Tasmania or do the Great Ocean Rd

Imagine a Vespa with 14 inch wheels ,high rise handle bars a board carry rack ,loud exhaust and a hot chick on the pillion They only have to travel 3 klm to the beach but they will be the envy of every other young guy and girl

Thems my thoughts on the future of Scooters and clubs --well thats another subject

riding for fun
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au