Scooter
Community

Scooter Mania

Last post 01-13-2017 12:40 PM by aspro boy. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2016 02:50 PM

Scooter Mania

Vespa and Lambretta 25 minute film on youtube click

• 01-01-2017 08:56 PM In reply to

Re: Scooter Mania

This is a great post, an interesting watch. Thank you. 

The claim is that the Mini helped kill off the scooter 'fashion'. It is noted that except for professional riders, very few are wearing helmets. I wonder if introduced regulation, including mandatory helmet use, encroached on their sense of liberty. For the Mods it would have put a flat spot in their fashion sense hairdo.

But the rise of the Mini did not deter the Japanese who were busy designing and developing a new breed of superbike from the mid 60s. When the NSW police were operating the Mini Cooper S, the K1 & K2 Honda 750s, which I was riding at the time, were finding a whole new wave of buyers.

Fashions have a way of reinventing themselves in the hands of powerful brand marketers.

• 01-02-2017 12:26 AM In reply to

Glad you enjoyed compulsory helmet wearing came into force in 1973 in the UK improvements in crash helmets began after the death of Lawrence of Arabia in 1935 . Think when the Mini came out in 1959 was around the same price as a motorbike and sidecar no contest really

Image result for 1959 mini

Image result for panther motorbike and family sidecar

• 01-13-2017 11:06 AM In reply to

Talk about truth in advertising -if they are implying you could get all that stuff into a mini minor then i think they are lying

riding for fun
  • 01-13-2017 12:04 PM In reply to

Rod Fountain:

Talk about truth in advertising -if they are implying you could get all that stuff into a mini minor then i think they are lying

• 01-13-2017 12:10 PM In reply to

Maybe they are implying that it doubles as an outside storage shed. When not in mobile use, you can store all your old trunks and suitcases in to it. Maybe. And yes, as shown, it presents as a 'stretch'.

My older brother owned three Minis, all of which he wrecked. The first he parked on a long sweeping blind bend as he phoned his girlfriend from the near-by phone box. An uninsured driver in an old Holden wagon swept around the bend and shortened that mini considerably. Mind you, it could not afford to be shortened further.

The second he was driving around the area at which he was at teachers college. Arriving, at night, at a bifurcation in the road after an outing, both he and his passenger tugged at the wheel as they deliberated as to the right direction to take. End result was straight up the middle, and another shortened Mini. This time shortened in the front.

The third, and most dramatic, was whilst I was a passenger. Returning home from Saturday work, after helping dad, my brother became irritated at the placement of the 'silent cop' that he needed to negotiate. Solution, just drive straight over the top of it. Now a standard Mini does not enjoy much ground clearance, but a slightly lowered one less so. Result being that the sump was hit bang in the middle, but not as you might think, tearing it away. No, it ripped the whole engine away from the mounts. As a passenger, reading the paper at the time, my whole world became a sea of dust and buckling metal. The floor pan buckled under my feet, the gear stick popped up further though the floor and the windscreen all but came out as this little car took on a revised shape. And the dust! We got out, dazed and surprised, then pushed this little car in to a near-by side street. Not one single drop of oil was spilt from the sump. This time shortened in the middle. I kid you not.

I often wondered what those kids whom my brother went on to teach were actually taught. 

• 01-13-2017 12:30 PM In reply to

Not one single drop of oil was spilt from the sump

LOL if it had been designed by Page Turner or Hopwood and not Issigonis the story would have been different Stick out tongue

Image result for motorcycle oil leak cartoonImage result for motorcycle oil leak cartoon

• 01-13-2017 12:40 PM In reply to

It is a total blessing that for his sake, and the sake of my parents, that my brother did not culture the passion for motorbikes that was mine from an early age; a tragedy waiting to happen with that mind set. You do not appreciate the anquish through which you place your parents, when you are young. Lying awake at night, I was later told, waiting the return of the Yoshimura howl to re-enter the district. At least my brother offered, in his own way, some sort of distraction. Hehe. Now we are all very sanitized. Ahh, age the teacher.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au