Scooter
Community

Active Scooter Clubs

Last post 01-19-2017 10:20 PM by Mike Holland. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2017 10:40 AM

Active Scooter Clubs

Facebook has definitely decimated the number of scooter clubs there are currently throughout the world

Just from a curiosity point I was wondering how many clubs are still functioning in Australia and which one would be the oldest

When I refer to functioning --I mean having a meeting or ride at least once a month and are they doing it on Facebook or a club forum

riding for fun
  • 01-14-2017 04:38 PM In reply to

Re: Active Scooter Clubs

The Sydney City Scooter Club is probably the oldest  -  I joined in about 1989. They meet first Sunday of the month, but usually only 4 to 6 riders, and often don't bother to ride anywhere, just eat and drink coffee and chat. They also meet Tuesday nights, but are more a social club than a scooter club these days. Their online forum is dead  -  I am the only one who has posted there in months.

Northern Beaches crowd have been around for a long time and are still going strong, but I don't remember when they started. About 15 years ago? Scooter Central set the club up and promoted it initially, I think. It used to meet there and have a free coffee before rides.

Mike

• 01-15-2017 10:09 AM In reply to

Thanks Mike ,I was aware of both but cannot be sure of whether they are on forums or facebook or wheyher they have been consistant in meetings /rides over their entire time

What about the other states like Qld with Maxitag ,SA ,WA and i think Vic still has the Vespa club

No news from ACT or NT  and our largest island TAS

Our neighbours in the long white cloud seem to have lost their Magneto club

riding for fun
  • 01-15-2017 01:39 PM In reply to

The Vespa Riders club was formed about 2010, but died out everywhere except Melbourne, where it became the Melbourne Vespa Club, and as far as I know is still doing well.

Mike

• 01-15-2017 02:22 PM In reply to

The logical question is --Why is the Vespa Club doing well in melbourne --after all Sydney is the dominant city in Australia so why cant somebody get off their butt and get the Sydney Vespa club up and active

Is it because no one cares or has the time --Gee in victoria they even have what they call a "safe Schools program where they encourage young children to decide on what sex they want to be They are so advanced that they dont want men and women anymore --no males or females and everyone must use the same toilet regardless of age and the CMFEU rules supreme and virtually runs the state.

What with all that  crooks cheats and  gender benders they can have a successfull Vespa club and Sydney cant --There has to be something real wrong .

riding for fun
  • 01-15-2017 03:10 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Rod Fountain:

Facebook has definitely decimated the number of clubs there are currently throughout the world

Just from a curiosity point I was wondering how many are still functioning in Australia and which one would be the oldest

When I refer to functioning --I mean having a meeting or ride at least once a month and are they doing it on Facebook or a club forum

The Red Menace
  • 01-15-2017 03:42 PM In reply to

Image result for st of lost causesDevil Just an observation on one of Rod's pet topics scooter clubs . Scooter sales are still dropping in big numbers .  This site barely ticking over (maybe terminal last member to joined was on the 26/8/16 ?) the best good knowledgeable members of all things scooter have drifted away this last few years . Clubs taking off again or new ones forming  IMHO can't see it any time soon  Sad

Scooter numbers sold in Australia over the last 12 years

2005 10,242 units

2006 14,505 units

2007 14,271 units

2008 15,364 units

2009 10,398 units

2010 10,443 units

2011 11,347 units

2012 10,680 units

2013  9478  units

2014  6971  units

2015  5389  units

2016  4486 units

TOP 10 by Category - Scooters
    January - December 2016 Compared with January - December 2015

Manufacturer Model Total

YTD 2016 YTD 2015 % Chg

Piaggio Fly 150 368 393 -6.4%

Honda WW150 305 374 -18.4%

Honda NSC110 289 316 -8.5%

Suzuki ADDRESS 269 171 57.3%

Honda MW110 266 156 70.5%

Piaggio ZIP 50 259 248 4.4%

Vespa GTS 300 248 276 -10.1%

Vespa PRIMAVERA 150 229 169 35.5%

Piaggio Typhoon 50 191 162 17.9%

Yamaha YW125 176 195 -9.7%

TOP 10 by Category - LAMS Approved
    January - December 2016 Compared with January - December 2015

Manufacturer Model Total

YTD 2016 YTD 2015 % Chg

Honda NBC110 2,558 2,112 21.1%

Harley Davidson XG500 1,664 1,608 3.5%

Yamaha WR450F 1,653 1,185 39.5%

Yamaha YZF-R3A 1,522 1,156 31.7%

Yamaha MT07L 1,382 1,427 -3.2%

Kawasaki Ninja 300 1,299 1,947 -33.3%

Honda CBR500R 1,275 1,215 4.9%

Honda GROM 1,162 - 0.0%

Honda CB125E 903 981 -8.0%

KTM 500EXC 902 633 42.5%

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 01-16-2017 09:14 AM In reply to

Rod, there is a new Vespa Club Sydney on Facebook. They had a ride up to the Blue Mountans recently that I joined up with half way, and have had many meets/rides since. A good, enthusiastic crowd at the moment, and I wish them every success. I am a member, but will only be joining a  few of their rides.

I don't like Facebook, and wish they had a regular forum.

Mike

• 01-16-2017 11:10 AM In reply to

Rod Fountain:

The logical question is --Why is the Vespa Club doing well in melbourne --after all Sydney is the dominant city in Australia so why cant somebody get off their butt and get the Sydney Vespa club up and active

Is it because no one cares or has the time --Gee in victoria they even have what they call a "safe Schools program where they encourage young children to decide on what sex they want to be They are so advanced that they dont want men and women anymore --no males or females and everyone must use the same toilet regardless of age and the CMFEU rules supreme and virtually runs the state.

What with all that  crooks cheats and  gender benders they can have a successfull Vespa club and Sydney cant --There has to be something real wrong .

Right. That's it. I'm done.....

This used to be a good forum, I used to enjoy logging on to this site and reading some great stories, conversations, and interesting tech tips. However, it has now degenerated into a constant rant by a singular individual on all things evil in the world. There is not a topic or post that he has not criticised or cast some sort of demeaning comment about or introduced some political rant. What happened to all the interesting people with interesting stories that used to frequent this site? Where are you Jax, Pete Gailey, Eccles, White Fang, etc. etc. If you want to be critical of the government go to a political site to vent your frustration. This is a Scooter Site we dont give a toss about safe schools here.

Why have the Scooter clubs gone to facebook? I'll bet it's to keep you out of their conversations.

Oh, and one more thing.... it's called the the Old Pacific Highway, or Old road, not the bl**dy Serpent. there is no serpent. There will never be a serpent no matter how hard you try....

Adios, sayonara, chao, and farewell.  

Jenshore. 16th Jan 2017.

2015 BMW C650 GT Special Edition
    2012 BMW C650 GT, gone
    MaxSYM 400i.. gone
    Sym Firenze 300i... gone
    Royal Enfield C5... gone

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of the window
  • 01-16-2017 11:44 AM In reply to

Thanks JENSHORE for the spray -I wonder what marvelous contributions have you made to the scootering world under your non De Plume of JENSHORE

But then maybe you are one of those with little opinion on nothing

riding for fun
  • 01-16-2017 01:35 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

i suppose what I was trying to say was that "social media" has killed most "social" clubs which depended for their rationale on actual contact and meeting way back in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

There is no real need to slag off Facebook or any of the other internet-based outlets (indeed like this one; if you think that Scooter Community is fundamentally different to Facebook, then you are sadly mistaken. They are just a means to arrange contacts, meetings, rallies, rides, chat, and exchange of views etc etc. No point whatsoever in saying "I hate Facebook" or other such nonsense - it's pointless. I don't like Facebook; I don't dislike Facebook; it just is.

The Red Menace
  • 01-16-2017 03:24 PM In reply to

For the scootercommunity site seems to be one more [:'(]

Image result for another  nail in the coffin cartoon

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 01-16-2017 04:18 PM In reply to

I have no intention of slagging off facebook but it seems funny to me and others i have spoken to that as soon as a club goes from a club forum type over to facebook then the membership falls away and soon there is no club left

Furthermore it is not just in Australia but look at clubs in other parts of the world

I am an enthusiastic supporter of Scooters for no other reason than I think they provide a essential mode of transport

Scooter clubs add another dimmension to the ownership of scooters which I also highly support

At my age I cant do much more but if i was 40 yrs old I would be in it up to my eyeballs

riding for fun
  • 01-16-2017 10:34 PM In reply to

Just for the record, Jenshore has 64 posts on this forum, and Rod has over 1000. So who is doing the most to keep this forum alived?

Rod is an old fogey, like me, and we occasionally stir things up a bit and have a set-to justy to liven up the forum. I would hate to see it go the way of GTSOwners forum or Sydney City clubs forum. So please keep a sense of humour, give as good as you get, and have fun here.

Mike 

• 01-16-2017 11:40 PM In reply to

Back to the topic.....

Illawarra Scooter Riders are still hanging in there.... barely. We have 95 members, but only the same few regulars attend the monthly rides. There are a few reasons why this is so, but in short I guess people aren't having their needs met within the group??? Maybe?? Or maybe, like many aspects of life, enthusiasm waxes and wanes, as people's priorities change and life moves on.

ISR communicates via a FB site and we always have. In 2011 and 2012 we'd all get on the site - almost nightly (much like here) - chatting away and really enjoying the banter. Now weeks may go past with no-one there communicating.

It definitely has a sadness about it, but I'm not sure there's any solution to it. I guess we should all be grateful for those years when the scooter world seemed more vibrant and alive. Smile

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au