Scooter
Community

Advice about buying a new scooter

Last post 03-24-2017 09:23 PM by pyrah. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2017 11:10 PM

Advice about buying a new scooter

My Tmax died, so I've been looking for a replacement. There is a 2014 BMW C600 Sport with about 22,000km near where I live, and after doing some reading, decided it looked like a worthy replacement. It was originally listed for 9300 or so and then reduced to 8950, so I put in an offer of 8400 and the seller accepted, and I'm going to have a test ride on Saturday to see if I like it. I asked for the service history, and was surprised to see the 20,000km service, done in August,  didn't mention the CVT belt. I rang the dealer where it was serviced and they said it only had 14,400km at the August service (!), and that the schedule did indeed require a belt replacement at 20,000km and it would be approximately $1,300.

What should I do about this? Is the bike worth $8400 plus $1300 immediately so I should still buy it (this is ALL my savings, I don't really like being without any sort of safety net)? Should I ask for a price reduction, and if so how much? 

Should I learn to ride a manual at this point (they don't have such expensive services, do they?) or finish learning to drive and buy a car? Or maybe get a less powerful scoot? Can you guys recommend one that'll handle 30km of highway a day and be reliable and have weather pprotection and be heavy enough to not get sucked into trucks and blown about by mild winds? I have too many options and it makes my head spin. But I need to do something soon because it's screwing with my bf's sleep schedule driving me to work and back each day (well, supervising me while I get practice at driving) and he can't get much work done. 

First of all though I need to work out if this bmw is bad news or not. I don't have anyone to ask, I have a family friend who is into motorcycles and all he tells me is to stop messing around with scooter nonsense and get a real bike :-/

• 03-24-2017 01:22 AM In reply to

Re: Advice about buying a new scooter

IMHO Walk away it's already got 7500 ks on it since last service so will need another service before 30,000 plus belt change . If you want cheap weatherproof  runabout can't beat buying a small car if traffic congestion ain't a problem . For excitement something like a new Honda CBR500 around 7grand with warrenty is cheaper than the BMW Big Smile

Redbook price used BMW C600 click  there asking around dealer trade in price

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 03-24-2017 07:30 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 818

$1300 every 20000km is a lot for basic mantenance. you would need to consider whether you should bother with the BMW with those sorts of regular costs.

The new Honda 500 is a great bike, it comes in different models with one having an upright riding position.

There are others in the commuter class but the Honda is a good start to compare the offerings.

Depending on your needs newer cars are pretty good.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 03-24-2017 07:56 PM In reply to

Thanks guys. Someone contacted me about buying my old Tmax so I went in to the mechanic to take some photos, and the mechanic talked to me, and said that they could fix it properly for $1200. WTF why couldn't he have just called me like 2 weeks ago and saved me all this agony?! And they won't let me sell it unless I pay for their labour diagnosing it, which is fair enough. So I'll get it fixed and maybe jazz it up a bit while they're there - heated grips (winter is coming up), 12V plug in the glovebox, reupholster the seat. I have my license test booked in for the Wednesday after next so hopefully that goes well - then when my bike doesn't start on a winter's morning I can drive.

When it eventually dies again I'll look into those Hondas :-)

• 03-24-2017 09:23 PM In reply to

Big SmileYes

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au