Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Honda EV-CUB

Last post 07-24-2017 04:27 PM by martindemo. 46 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2017 07:18 PM In reply to

Re: Honda EV-CUB

Ah Ferr, interesting story.

i was at Lithgow two wekends ago with a pal. We were walking near the show ground when we saw a lot of middle aged bikers hanging around some poles in the showground area. ...bit out of the ordinary.

Soon sorted it out, these were ZERO RIDERS all gathered around some power poles, recharging their vehicles!!

I guess that Lithgow is about as far as U can go out of Sydney until the thing dies.

This meant that these guys--at least ten of them--were faced with the prospect of hanging around Lithgow Showground for a few hours in the middle of winter.

Fun!

Luckily I saw them depart a few hours later......the sound was weird ! like a swarm of those automatic doors they had on Star Trek.

The bikes looked pretty good

Aprilia 200ie
  • 06-29-2017 09:28 PM In reply to

Agree. Unlike a lot a battery bicycles, the Zero style wise is not a bad expression of what a motorcycle can be.

• 06-29-2017 10:00 PM In reply to

Think a good way of seeing how electric motercycles are improving is to compare the zero tt results now from when they first started in 2010

• 06-29-2017 10:27 PM In reply to

martindemo:

I guess that Lithgow is about as far as U can go out of Sydney until the thing dies.

Unless of course they already stopped for a couple of hours to recharge before they even got to Lithgow... which seems pretty likely to me, considering you not only have to travel some 150kms from Syd to Lithgow, you also have to climb nearly 900 meters vertical before you get there.

• 06-30-2017 09:47 AM In reply to

HHmm, good point. Also, being a Saturday, there would have been a fair bit of traffic going to the B. Mountains and I think there's still roadwork happening so even more power usage.... We took train so i 'm not sure.

I did notice that they seemed to have some kind of device plugged into the power point: Maybe this was a transformer or a fast charger?? I wouldn't know.

They did look pretty good but, the sound!! Beam me up, Scotty

Aprilia 200ie
  • 07-05-2017 05:06 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 256

ferrix:
    Honda have a right idea here, depending on their pricing of course.
    Definitely.

There's zero details about the specifications, unfortunately. But even a 50cc-class EV-Cub up to $4500 would be a deal for me.

(and now returning to a derailed thread talking about bullshit alpha-male sunday ev-bikes that're designed to travel in straight lines..)

• 07-06-2017 08:42 PM In reply to

It is difficult for me to imagine how the Honda EV Cub would be applied in Australian cities. Before I jumped back on a scooter again, thinking that this part of my life was done and dusted, my long time cycling interest had me considering an electric pushy, when the time came. Most early models were restricted to 200W, the then compliance output, and were Chinese units. The regulation changed to 250W, which is a European standard, to allow better quality units to become available (we all recognize what happened to the scooter market when it became flooded with cheap Chinese built units).

The big benefit for a 250W pushy is that it can legally be ridden on shared paths, cycleways and cycle lanes. This is a considerable advantage over general traffic conditions (metro), which I believe the EV-Cub would be restricted by, needing to be registered. I think, but am not certain, that 250W is equivelant to 25cc. 

But the idea, in the short to medium term, of an electric pushy was shelved. Any worthwhile E-bike was serious $$$s making the brilliant little Honda Dio appear as good value comparatively. E-bikes are certainly gaining in popularity and they are a great mobile option in the urban jungle, as is the Honda Dio (and Suzuli Address), but I struggle to see a future for a registered 50cc electric Cub if it retails for more dollars than the 108cc Dio. Except of course with the fashion conscious, saving the planet. A different scenario for some Asian and European cities. IMO

• 07-06-2017 11:56 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 256

but I struggle to see a future for a registered 50cc electric Cub if it retails for more dollars than the 108cc Dio

What I see the EVCub being better than a Dio or CT110 for is the running costs.. The only really big whack will be battery replacement--I can't see those lasting as long as the 70,000kms my Postie's engine as done. But fuel, oil, $100 mechanic bills for removing wasps from the exhaust, etc... (And would the likes of Dominos want a fleet of EV-Cubs for that reason..?)

The "clean bike" thing could be useful for people, too-- bringing it inside the apartment/office/laundry for safekeeping and such. (Ha, you could possibly take an EV-Cub on a train, because it doesn't contain petrol, although it won't make you popular. :)

Most e-bikes in Australia are: a frame + motor "sourced from china" + you-need-the-power-brah lithum batteries "sourced from china" + controllers and bits "sourced from china". The frame is really the only thing that seperates the Quality shops (Glowworm, etc.) from the Cowboys (i.e: the dropkicks with youtube channels riding a 1kw bafang ebike on Sydney streets...) A Honda EV-Cub is an electric bike from a Real Company that people can actually can see the affordability of.

• 07-07-2017 12:01 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 256

but I struggle to see a future for a registered 50cc electric Cub if it retails for more dollars than the 108cc Dio

What I see the EVCub being better than a Dio or CT110 for is the running costs.. The only really big whack will be battery replacement--I can't see those lasting as long as the 70,000kms my Postie's engine as done. But fuel, oil, $100 mechanic bills for removing wasps from the exhaust, etc... (And would the likes of Dominos want a fleet of EV-Cubs for that reason..?)

The "clean bike" thing could be useful for people, too-- bringing it inside the apartment/office/laundry for safekeeping and such. (Ha, you could possibly take an EV-Cub on a train, because it doesn't contain petrol, although it won't make you popular. :)

All e-bikes in Australia are: a frame + motor "sourced from china" + you-need-the-power-brah lithium batteries "sourced from china" + controllers and bits "sourced from china". The frame is really the only thing that seperates the Quality shops (Glowworm, etc.) from the Cowboys (i.e: the dropkicks with youtube channels riding a 1kw bafang ebike on Sydney streets...) A Honda EV-Cub is an electric bike from a Real Company that people can actually can see the affordability of.

• 07-07-2017 08:48 AM In reply to

aspro boy:

But the idea, in the short to medium term, of an electric pushy was shelved. Any worthwhile E-bike was serious $$s making the brilliant little Honda Dio appear as good value comparatively. E-bikes are certainly gaining in popularity and they are a great mobile option in the urban jungle, as is the Honda Dio (and Suzuli Address), but I struggle to see a future for a registered 50cc electric Cub if it retails for more dollars than the 108cc Dio. Except of course with the fashion conscious, saving the planet. A different scenario for some Asian and European cities. IMO

Electric pushies are, sadly, ridiculously expensive; The nice ones start at around 4k and go up from there... come on, this was supposed to be the cheapest transport!!! And then you have to worry about leaving the thing behind because it might be expensive to buy, but it is easy for someone to just carry off.

Hoewver, the electric scooter as long as it has the range of honest 80-100km (that is, advertised range of 150km or so) is perfectly OK where a conventional scooter is used. It needs to be more than equivalent of 50cc, yes - but equivalent of 125-150cc class is still not a big ask in my opinion. Honda Cub was what - 110cc? I imagined (without having any info, admittedly) EV Cub would be in the same ballpark, performance-wise. And if it was in the same ballpark price-wise, it could be a hit. I'd get one.

• 07-07-2017 02:07 PM In reply to

Unsure on this one.I know the value is not there.I recall someone ran the numbers on another e scoot and it wasn't good. I can see folks sticking with e pushies for all the reasons mentioned. Also getting a scooter licence is a hassle!

Having said that I reckon around our way some would buy the Honda as a toy and for a bit of green cred. My other issue remains the NOISE. If I'm riding a scoot around Sydney's East,  I want to be heard so that every idiot backpacker and party boy does not step out in front of me.

I don't mean Harley ,Scarabeo is loud enough. E scooters. Ya don't hear them.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 07-07-2017 03:34 PM In reply to

Yep 250w pedelec seem a good idea to replace 50s no licence and can be ridden i believe by anyone over 14 just need some well known brands to build them at an attractive price . Reid cycles look like they have dropped their line off Ebikes would that be poor sales or reliability problems ?

To get a scooter to perform as good as over 100cc scooters will need some improvements on current batteries technology or maybe standardized hire batteries where you can swap them over as quickly as getting fuel and all service stations stocking them

Idea Sound they my come with speakers and sound system to mimic any engine noise you so desire

• 07-07-2017 05:47 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Idea Sound they my come with speakers and sound system to mimic any engine noise you so desire

I absolutely hate artificial engine noises in cars and I don't want that on my bike. Let pedestrians look where they are going and anyway, if you're counting on others hearing you, you're going to get rudely disappointed one day.

• 07-07-2017 09:21 PM In reply to

Someone only asked me several months ago how I have managed to successfully survive Sydney roads as a cyclist all these years. 'I ride with my ears' (no wise cracks). You become tuned-in to driver conduct through engine/exhaust noises etc. So it would be a sad day for environmental progress if a cyclist was knocked down by an e-scooter. Lol. Not.

• 07-07-2017 10:00 PM In reply to

ferrix:

pyrah:

I absolutely hate artificial engine noises in cars and I don't want that on my bike. Let pedestrians look where they are going and anyway, if you're counting on others hearing you, you're going to get rudely disappointed one day.

LOL im sure a off switch will be fitted Stick out tongue

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au