Scooter
Community

Battery powered mobility

Last post 08-17-2017 02:48 PM by ferrix. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2017 06:00 PM

Battery powered mobility

Brompton bicycles Uk have, finally, released a battery powered version of their iconic folding bike. For the last four or so years there has been talk of development for a battery powered variant. Seeking to get it right first up, Brompton have been working with the Williams F1 team as part of their development strategy. The point to this content from me is that when you go seaching the numbers, there has been an explosion of battery powered bicycle sales across some parts of the globe. I believe this fact is a part contributer to declining scooter sales.

Now I love my scooter, and there are things I can do on my scooter, at this age, that are beyond me spontaneously on a bicycle. But there are definitely many things you can do on a bicycle, in they metro area, that are not possible on a registered scooter, even a small unit. Add to the bicycle e-power, as an intergrated unit, and compact, then a shake-up of urban mobility options unfolds.

• 08-02-2017 06:15 PM In reply to

Re: Battery powered mobility

Funnily enough as i get older a pedelec is getting more attractive easy to throw on the back of a ute to use to nip to the shops and no licence rego to worry about Big Smile

Image result for pedelec cartoon

• 08-03-2017 08:37 AM In reply to

The UK Telegraph has just posted an article saying slow death to oil barrons by electrification. An e-Brompton at some time in the future will be part of my mobility mix.

• 08-03-2017 11:10 AM In reply to

UK also saying they will ban sale of petrol and diesel cars/vans by 2040

Image result for no petrol cars by 2040 cartoon

• 08-03-2017 12:58 PM In reply to

Williams F1 team are also working with Singapore-based battery maker called Vanda on a Hypercar named Dendrobium (weird name, but it's apparently a species of orchids). The car is, of course, electric... and on the other end of the scale, Vanda also designed cutesy e-moped called "Motochimp". It looks like a square battery on wheels :) There are clips on youtube about both, if you're interested.

There are great many mobility solutions out there, but they all fall into the cracks between not being road-legal, yet also not being allowed on the footpath. What use are they then? I believe this is the greatest barrier to their acceptance, not technological issues.

• 08-03-2017 01:52 PM In reply to

Thanks Yes

Image result for Motochimp

Image result for vanda dendrobium

• 08-03-2017 06:19 PM In reply to

That Motochimp ?
    Is the spitting image of the Honda Motocompo that came with the "City" mini car.

• 08-03-2017 06:39 PM In reply to

gunnabuild1:

That Motochimp ?
    Is the spitting image of the Honda Motocompo that came with the "City" mini car.

Image result for honda motocompo

• 08-03-2017 09:28 PM In reply to

You have to know how good is the Brompton bike as a ride and a quick fold or deploy to see these other things as silly, imo; stand alone or intergrated transport option. Add to that the latest electric assist, if they can keep the weight down, which is relative, and you have a real world usable tool.

And I ride my Bromptons on the footpath if I feel compromised. Their compact size places them in the 'quaint' category for most observers, so they don't feel threatened sharing the path.  

• 08-03-2017 09:42 PM In reply to

aspro boy:

You have to know how good is the Brompton bike as a ride and a quick fold or deploy to see these other things as silly, imo; stand alone or intergrated transport option. Add to that the latest electric assist, if they can keep the weight down, which is relative, and you have a real world usable tool.

And I ride my Bromptons on the footpath if I feel compromised. Their compact size places them in the 'quaint' category for most observers, so they don't feel threatened sharing the path.  

Image result for 2017 brompton electric bike

https://sydney-electric-bikes.myshopify.com/products/brompton-folding-ebike $3695

• 08-15-2017 02:20 PM In reply to

$3,695 for this thing? F*** me, what a joke. And that's apparently "mid-range" as far as they're concerned... We will never lessen our dependence on cars if their idea of going about it is making pushbikes that cost more than a second-hand car.

• 08-15-2017 09:30 PM In reply to

This photo shows an older model Brompton with a retro fit Battery kit. Unless the photo is inverted, then it is an American bike with crank on the left side; ha ha. I doubt if we will see the e-Brompton specific unit in Aus.until some time next year. Price, depending on variable consumables, will be upwards of $4K.

The whole quality e-bike thing is expensive. There was a parallel with what happened in the scooter market with an inital small flood of cheap Chinese product that left consumers wanting ....  It won't be until economies of scale are production reality that quality e-bikes will look attractive price wise. I see e-bikes about on my many excursions that I know were more expensive than my Honda Dio, a fine economies of scale example. I'm not there yet, but I do understand the usable appeal of an e-bike for many applications. But for me it would only be a Brompton because of versatile size and application(s). A little bike with a big heart - Tonka Tough

• 08-15-2017 10:03 PM In reply to

Wink Maybe better value than a Tesla @ $150,000 + Stick out tongue

Image result for tesla cars australia

I just drove 1100 ks in avalible daylight today will be awhile  before i can do that in a electric vehicle i should imagine Devil

• 08-16-2017 10:54 AM In reply to

Pointy price end or not, they are selling Tesla vehicles to the environmentally spirited. I rarely go out and not see one. Yesterday, on my bicycle errand trip across town, I saw three. A close friend purchased some years back a Lexus 450h demonstrator for @ $112k. When he went to sell the car some years later, with 130K kilometers on the clock, unkissed and very tidy, all they were offered was $22.5k. Now that is expensive motoring. His wife said to me, 'no more - we have done our bit for the environment'. It is interesting also that the top European vehicle manufactures (not commercial) are falling out of love with the Diesel

• 08-17-2017 02:48 PM In reply to

aspro boy:

It is interesting also that the top European vehicle manufactures (not commercial) are falling out of love with the Diesel

It might have something to do with the fact that apparently the only way of making diesel clean is to cheat on tests, and now they've been caught that way is too risky for them to try again...

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au