Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Random 3

Last post 10-07-2017 12:24 AM by pyrah. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-03-2017 03:31 PM

Random 3

Hello all,

Just a few random and hopefully related points...

Jackets for Homeless. does anyone else remember this? There was a scheme a few years ago where U could give your old bike jacket to homeless folk via and organisation. It was good cos with linings these jackets are pretty warm and the flouro makes these folks easy to see when the cross roads perhaps not totally aware.

I know that I have the odd jacket which no longer has the padding or the padding poxckets have ripped but it would make a peerfectly reasonable non-riding jacket.

Re summer jackets + black....i've moved on from the kevlar shirt for O.S ( asia) use and I am now looking at a light summer jacket.. Thing is, just about all I see offered is black, the most heat -absorbent colour ! I  kinda wonder why U can't get a choice of white/cream for use in the tropics: they are out there , but very few.

I've had the Pirelli's on the Scab for 6 years now...only 20,000ks on them but, as they are quite old, thinking about some new rubber. Any thoughts?

Re BMW..some of U may recall me saying that i'd like to buy an old BMW for the country when I move there next year.

I got one cheap...a German Brick...the BMWk100RT. MAN IT IS BIG ! even for me, at 193 cm, I have to think twice before getting on.....centre standing still requires effort and thought.

As i said, it was cheap and I think that I'll take my time next yearm remove a lot of the tupperware and do a mild custom job.

If not, I could always rent it out as a boat anchor for the Queen Mary

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-03-2017 03:51 PM In reply to

Re: Random 3

Think still ongoing by Australian Motorcycle News Magazine

Image result for Australian Motorcycle News jackets for the homeless

Cafe racer maybe Cool

Image result for bmw k100rt cafe racer

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-03-2017 07:27 PM In reply to

Thanks Pyr, 

Dunno why I did not see that info this year: I think it's a fine + practical charity.

Re Beemer, thinking not quite as radical as that but heading down that line.

My butt is way too old for a hard seat like that ...

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-03-2017 10:00 PM In reply to

I have seen several Ks recently with some 'tupper ware' removed and they looked good. Weren't you going to buy an airhead?

• 10-03-2017 10:52 PM In reply to

Yes Asps, I was def. thinking airhead...................but my bank account wasn't.

A nice airhead cost more than I was prepared to spend on what is, really, an old bloke's indulgence to keep me busy in the country where the Scab is not suited to long trips.

Like so many older things, folks see the value in the style and simplicity and prices go up.These Ks eries "bricks" as they call them are cheap right now + mine is well maintained + low k's for it's age BUT.....

I would still like an airhead!

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-04-2017 07:59 AM In reply to

Of the many bikes owned over the years, some of the most iconic for their time, the only bike that I would realistically want again is my BMW R100R - The Last Edition. It ticks boxes at our age; won't get you into too much trouble; forgiving ergonomics, character, weight and size managable. The old airheads dried up quickly.

• 10-04-2017 08:26 AM In reply to

BMW R100R Classic - black. The last one Tom Byrne sold to the public.

• 10-04-2017 09:44 AM In reply to

HHmm, I just looked at a few pics of BMW R100r...looks like a really useable bike...nice ergonomics, not too big. Maybe a small fairing for highway use + it would be perfect.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-04-2017 08:39 PM In reply to

The one off the R90s.
    I looked for a while for an R80 in one form or another but they were either to expensive or just had to many k's.
    I knew I couldn't afford a gs but a plain jane R80 seemed like it would be just the ticket.
    The newer ones use to much electrickery for my comfort.

• 10-04-2017 10:20 PM In reply to

One day they were there, then the next day the survivor airheads were being hoarded. My Classic evolved to have me install a small screen, which did not in the slightest detract from the look of the bike. It gave great touring protection and comfort, even with an open face helmet. An enthusiast flew in from Queensland to buy this bike, then rode it home. He contacted me later to say that it was a good leg up from the R80 that he also owned at the time. It should be remembered that it was a roadster, so the gearing was not tall. I loved 5-600k day rides on B roads on this forgiving new, but old girl; old in terms of technology. A small leather roll bag sat on the tail, with a soft bag at the back of the seat easily attached to the rails. I kept the UU11 rego plate an installed this on my Majesty 250 scooter, which I found myself using more often than the boxer, a bike that I was never going to sell. Hmm

• 10-05-2017 11:43 AM In reply to

Sounds good, Asps,

The old "bike we were never gonna sell'......if only we knew

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-05-2017 03:32 PM In reply to

martindemo:

Sounds good, Asps,

The old "bike we were never gonna sell'......if only we knew

More like if only we had the money then to keep things Sad

Image result for piston broke joke

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-06-2017 04:40 PM In reply to

I have been lucky enough to have owned some fine machines over the years, but where I feel truely blessed is that I can still derive the same pleasure of ownership and rider enjoyment, locally, with my mighty midget Honda Dio - this scoot puts a grin on my face. What I demand, though, is some quality against dollars spent.

A blast from our past pulled up alongside me at the traffic lights on Monday last - a BSA Rocket 111 in mint condition. Possibly bettter than new, following a full restoration, the bike was displaying historic rego plate. What a joy it was to see. And these bikes have a most distinct exhaust note - once heard not forgotten.

• 10-06-2017 08:42 PM In reply to

Wow, not that common in Australia and a real goer in thier day!

Aprilia 200ie
  • 10-06-2017 09:13 PM In reply to

martindemo:

Wow, not that common in Australia and a real goer in thier day!

Yep And weren't all that common in the UK either

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au