Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Xmax 300

Last post 08-23-2018 08:46 PM by aspro boy. 41 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2018 05:04 PM In reply to

Re: Xmax 300

Aspro boy...

The kms are rising (2900) and the XMax is doing fine. The most notable exception to most bikes is the fuel consumption. I maintain a steady 60-70kph at the moment and the indicated consumption is 42.3 kms per litre - I don't think any other bike (300) can beat that !  Overall - it is a better bike, but then that's what I have said of other bikes. The next move is to try out some higher speeds and put the traction control to the test.

With one eye on the future I notice that there is a new 2018 Honda Forza on the horizon - it looks pretty good too.

Cheers

• 04-10-2018 09:19 PM In reply to

Glad that you are enjoying the Max 300 Tony. Should be settled at 3k I would think. A lighter weight than your previous two rides, it should be mare manageable. Weight is always a consideration for me, now. Is stepping through the scooter an easy thing to do?

• 04-10-2018 09:30 PM In reply to

... oh, the 2018 Forza 300 does look good. And the 2018 PCX 150 is also and improvement on the previous model. Up from 10kw to 10.8kw. That must be the same Euro 4 powerplant as found in the latest SH 150.

• 04-16-2018 08:55 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2013
    • Posts 17

Had a chance to sit on an Xmax 300 today.

Coming from a Majesty 250, the Xmax is slimmer in every way except where it counts: the seat is taller and wider (or possibly simply wider). It's workable, but not ideal. I was also fairly unimpressed with the build quality, where e.g. the glovebox panels seem fairly loose. Fairing, screen coverage, footspace is all down from my Majesty, pretty sure there is less room under the seat too, and no felt lining.

The halogen (I assume) turn signal bulbs are rather bizarre considering the rest is LED. 

The Xmax is still a contender, but I will be wanting to see the new Forza first. Maybe even the old Forza...

1994 Honda SR50 > 2008 TGB 303RS 125 > 2001 Yamaha Majesty 250
  • 04-17-2018 12:09 PM In reply to

It would appear that Honda win the quality stakes. This was apparent to me at the SMS at Darling Harbour when I alternated between the PCX 150 and the Nmax 155. The Honda jumped out. This is true for my little Dio also. Honda have gained some mastery over the plastics which present as, well, less plastic, comparatively. I love the quality of the Dio fit and finish against a price point.

Your Majesty 250 was Japan built, I think. This was true also for my 1999 YP250 Majesty, a scooter with which I had no issues.

If you are discerning you could be struggling for choice. I looked for one and a half years before deciding to give the Tricity 155 a try. I waited for the Honda SH150, but the Australian delivery came less ABS and with the cheaper tires. Underseat storage is so small you would need to include a top box. The PCX 150 was due for a makeover. And I see now there is a new up-rated model on the way. Vespa are expensive, with the GTS 300 being price overkill for my limited use time available. I had seriously considered a new GTS 150 IGET, but even at current sale price it is still $2k more than the Tricity 155 ride away. And they persist with funky colours. Just a solid white one could have seduced.

So I expect the Xmax 300 is built down to a price, not up to a standard - but I don't want to be too harsh.

• 04-19-2018 08:58 PM In reply to

Hey tonyr, don't forget to post some comparisons for the Xmax 300 and your Kymco Downtown and Xrosstown scooters.

Also, thank for the kick along by way of your example to try a few different scooters, whilst time and ability allow. Like you i will be looking at the 2018 Honda Forza 300 if they arrive on our shores. Also, I have not let go of the very original idea of a Vespa GTS 300, the idea being to do a few club runs with it.

• 04-20-2018 02:49 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2013
    • Posts 17

I went back to sit on the Xmax again. It's more about appreciating it for what it is rather than grouching about what it isn't. But this is the first scoot (actually first vehicle) that I'll (probably) be buying new, and I'm not keen on spending serious money on something that doesn't tick all the boxes for me. Of course, the Xmax does tick rather a lot of boxes.

I just got a reply from the Honda Australia rep saying that they currently have no plans to bring the new Forza 300 to Australia. Great.

The Vespa GTS has the build quality, but the comical lack of storage space makes it totally unworkable given that I'm using a scooter as my primary vehicle. And it's not like I could even fit my Shad SH50 top box to it anyway. The BV350 looks better in person than in pictures, but storage space is still lacking. The Piaggio X10 350 was my lust object before they withdrew it from Australia. Hopefully Piaggio brings out a larger Vespa or X10 successor eventually -- and ships it to Australia. Can't find a new Burgman 400 in Adelaide to sit on, but it seems fairly uncompetitive with the Xmax anyway.

The BMW C400X looks like it might be the only real competitor to the Xmax for me, though the rep I spoke to said it isn't due till the end of the year. And it's ugly, which is a real achievement for a scooter.

1994 Honda SR50 > 2008 TGB 303RS 125 > 2001 Yamaha Majesty 250
  • 04-27-2018 07:59 PM In reply to

• Aaron
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-30-2010
    • Torquay, Vic
    • Posts 33

The Xmax 300 is very popular over on the Maxi Muppets forum.  They seem to really like them.

If I was using a bike/scoot as my primary vehicle it would be one of the Jap brands.

Aaron

• 08-02-2018 08:34 PM In reply to

I was chatting to the dealer principal when I took my Tricity 155 for a first service on Wednesday. He was saying that the XMax 300 is hard to obtain, he holding numerous back orders for them. Shake a leg Yamaha Australia.

• 08-15-2018 05:36 PM In reply to

Hi Tonyr ....I would really enjoy an update on the XMax 300 - the best things about it....things you don't like. Thank you. Mark

• 08-20-2018 08:23 PM In reply to

Mark - re X-Max 300 review

We now have 7500kms on the clock so although my feelings for the bike are neutral I must be enjoying it or I wouldn't be riding it so much.

Seriously; the X-max is 1. Well made. 2. Very economical (constantly 40kms/ltr - I measured top-up to top-up 3-4 times). 3. Very good power response (even though I rarely go over 80k's/hr- overtaking is clean and confidence building) 4. The brakes are great as they have a nice balance font to back (or vice versa). Direction with the steering is reasonably good. 5. Although the seating leaves me with less leg room than I would like, my bum does not get sore over long distances (say 100-150 kms). Maintenance is easy except for battery location (under/ behind front screen) but no top up is needed. 6. Keyless entry is easy to get used to, but the emergency key opening of underseat is a bit too fiddly. 7. All lighting is exceptionally good, both front and rear. All switches are easy to operate except the electronic information switch when actually mobile (a little low - not that you need to use it on the move much anyway). 8. Traction control is something that I think is only noticeable when abusing the bike from the traffic lights (something I don't do). 9. The seat is a little high even for me (6ft) so I use the side stand when the ground surface situation is suspect. 10. I am not in love with the tyres now that they are half worn as the front tyre tends to respond badly to ridges etc in the road rather than the other way around as I think it should be. The rear tyre tends to let go a little if there are inperfections in the road surface on bends ( at say 60+k's). 11. I increased the roller weights by 2.5 grms and it does lower the rev range by about 500 rpm. The engine copes with the change very well. 12. My only real negative is that the "check engine" light came on for no apparent reason about 2000kms ago. I can overcome it, but at the moment I will continue with it on until the next service. "Why not go to the dealer" I can hear you say. Forget it. I don't want to listen to lame excuses anymore!.

So Mark, I hope I haven't over done or under done my update.  The X-Max is good - better than other 300's on the market at this time - but not quite perfect.

Maybe a comparison with the Kymco models is unfair at this time.

Cheers

• 08-23-2018 08:46 PM In reply to

Tony, thank you for your detailed reply. I will come back to you with a response. What adds credence, for me, to your evaluations is your willingness, pleasure in experiencing back-to-back purchases in this category in an attempt to 'squeeze the lemon' of scootering experience. I admire this.

Now, something for you to wrestle with: I have just seen the latest Honda Forza 300 being promoted on Bikesales.com and on the Honda Aus. web page. I think that we both thought that this model might not find it's way to our shores. 

Thoughts. Mark

Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au