Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Xmax 300

Last post 10-03-2018 11:18 AM by Lethe. 50 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2018 03:00 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2013
    • Posts 21

Re: Xmax 300

I test rode the new Forza 300 today and then immediately went back to the Xmax 300 (sat on but not ridden) for comparison:

-- fit and finish excellent, a clear step above the Xmax 300

-- METAL grab bar! (Xmax is plastic)

-- front storage compartment (there is only one, on the left hand side) does NOT lock, but it is quite deep and could easily accommodate e.g. a water bottle. Basically my hand disappeared almost up to my elbow.

-- seat is very firm (firmer than stock Xmax seat)  and (coming from a Majesty) I would definitely be looking to change it

-- mirrors are fantastic (again, clear step above Xmax 300)

-- would be nice if the moveable screen had a bit more travel, but still an excellent feature

-- so quiet! (relative to 2001 Majesty 250)

-- keyless system is easy enough to use although I'm not sure what the buttons on the actual key fob itself do.

Really, everything about the Forza impressed me except for the seat. And the lack of information regarding accessories.

I think the extra dollars are there in the Honda.

Xmax advantages:

- lower price

- better seat

- better engine

- lockable left glove box

- courtesy light under the seat

Forza advantages

- more attractive styling (IMO)

- build quality, fit and finish

- adjustable windscreen

- better mirrors 

- full LED lighting (Xmax has halogen turn signals)

- control dial (vs. control knob on Xmax)

1994 Honda SR50 > 2008 TGB 303RS 125 > 2001 Yamaha Majesty 250
  • 10-02-2018 06:08 PM In reply to

Thanks for the post. It's great to hear the views and opinions of others.

The Honda product finish, imo, is always a cut above the competition. When I view the Xmax, in the street or on the road, the first thing that jumps out at me is a hectre of plastic. I have the same sense with my Tricity 155. Even my humble Dio was refined comparitively. I logged 100ks on my Honda Monkey 125 today, with the great build quality an enjoyable and rewarding component of the overall experience. Yes, the mirrors on the Honda are far superior to those on the Yammy. What a wicked 'pure' little machine.

*** the fob for the Monkey is for the alarm and bike finder. So ......

Several questions: How did the underseat storage compare?

Qualify 'better engine'.

From whom did you source a test ride?

• 10-02-2018 06:52 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2013
    • Posts 21

Yes the Honda build quality is mainly about the fit and finish on the plastic panels, and the grab bar which I was very surprised to find was metal. But even in areas where the Yamaha seems perfectly unobjectionable, like the quality of the switches and the bar grips, the Honda seems to be just that notch above. The overall impression is of a more refined product.

I have seen some criticism that the Forza mirrors invariably show part of your body. That may well be true (I didn't play around with them enough to work out the optimal position) but against that is the fact that the Forza mirrors are simply significantly larger and, courtesy of their broadly rectangular shape, provide an "unencumbered" viewing experience vs. the more aggressively sculpted Xmax mirrors. Plus the Forza mirrors fold in (manually) for extra lane filtering capacity, although I expect I'd only bother to do that in serious traffic jam situations where one expects to be filtering through traffic for a fair while.

The Forza underseat storage could accomodate my helmet (Nolan N21 Visor) in two positions. I expect it would be able to take two such helmets and two pairs of gloves, or more commonly one helmet, one jacket and one pair gloves. I didn't go for a second look under the Xmax seat for direct comparison, but it is certainly in the same ballpark. My impression is that on the Xmax, the space between the front and rear helmet positions is very restrictive in terms of what you can fit in there, and on the Forza less so, but that impression could easily be mistaken.

The Forza's ace in the hole should be the smart-key linked 45 L top box that is advertised in the European press material, but Honda Australia doesn't seem to know about it. 

By the Xmax having a better engine I only mean that it is a brand new engine and one of the first to incorporate variable valve timing in a scooter, whereas Honda is reusing the engine from the old Forza. I only assume that this translates to the Xmax engine embodying a higher level of technology and consequently better performance/economy/etc. Again, open to correction.

I'm in Adelaide and obtained a Forza test ride from Moto Adelaide on South Road.

• 10-02-2018 10:19 PM In reply to

I understand that the 2018 Forza 300 utilizes the proven SH300 power plant, re-tuned for longivity of service. The re-tune possibly has something to do with Euro 4 compliance also. I read that this engine was the first of their smaller capacity engines to undergo Euro 4 development. It is down in hp from the original SH300, which ran 27hp to be now at just under 25hp.

An interesting development with latest Honda model accessories might be highlighted by my recent experience. The Monkey 125 (quality) rear rack I just fitted was a genuine Honda part. It arrived in original Honda packaging, but only appeared to be available from Webike Japan. The dealer was unaware that such an accessory existed.

The Tricity 155 also runs the latest generation VVT. It is geared to pull strongly to about 70kph, I suspect to counter the additional weight for this class of scooter. The acceleration is linear. I haven't had the 155 above 80kph as yet.

• 10-02-2018 10:25 PM In reply to

... Oh, I purchased new a Yammy YP250 Majesty scooter (Silver). I very much enjoyed this reliable and comfortable scooter at that time (circa 2000). I suspect it was a Japan built machine.

• 10-03-2018 11:18 AM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2013
    • Posts 21

I just read on Youtube that the Forza front compartment is locked when the steering wheel is locked. If true then that is fantastic. One of the pains of scooter ownership is the "gear up" time and having to use the key in glovebox, ignition, and top box contributes to that. That's why I like the idea of the Forza smart top box (despite the eye-watering price tag). Webike Japan (thanks for that) doesn't have it listed, but I have found it listed in a couple places which gives me hope: https://www.forza125shop.com/en/honda-oem-accessories/108-honda-45l-top-box.html (the new Forza 125 and 300 are apparently almost identical with the latter having a slightly longer wheelbase)

That said, I'm not sure about importing a component that needs to be integrated with the smart key fob...

Page 4 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au