Scooter
Community

Sydney Motorcycle &Scooter Show Darling Harbour

Last post 12-01-2017 01:55 PM by aspro boy. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2017 10:22 PM

Sydney Motorcycle &Scooter Show Darling Harbour

I was reading yesterday about the recent Sydney Boat Show at Darling Harbour. Stated as being a huge success, the largest attendance for more than five years. This success was claimed to be as a direct result of the new exibition centre, with all exibits returned to the one site, and the outstanding efforts of the exibitiors in ramping up their displays. I hope the motorcycle industry can take a lead from these results

• 11-22-2017 10:01 PM In reply to

Re: Sydney Motorcycle &Scooter Show Darling Harbour

I hope that many folk who have participated on this site get along to the SMS. It would be interesting then to hear brief take-home thoughts, by others, of what best grabbed your attention - what you really liked.

• 11-24-2017 09:15 PM In reply to

The scooter offerings at the SMS did not live up to my expectations. The show was enjoyable though, generally. What a boring display by Mr. Honda. The surprise for me was to see the latest Yamaha scooter offerings with the XMax 300 - Tricity 155 - the Nmax 155 and the latest D'elight 125. A large rooftop area was dedicated to showcasing the Tricity 155, with 3 bikes readily available for test riding. The Nmax 155, for me, felt roomier than the PCX 150, with the ability to stretch out - shift back when required. The downside appears less passenger room, if that matters to you.

• 11-24-2017 11:46 PM In reply to

Thanks aspro boy look like we are getting the Nmax 155 then could never understand Yamaha logic of bringing the 125cc scooter variants to Australia

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-25-2017 09:08 AM In reply to

Hmm, interesting , asps....

I don't quite see why Yammie are so keen to flog the Tricity here in OZ.....we just don't seem to be a 3 wheeled buying public but time may prove me wrong.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-25-2017 10:30 PM In reply to

Yamaha must believe in the sales potential of the Tricity 155 as they had dedicted much resources to showcasing and offering a test ride circuit to the general public at the SMS. So your recent small fall didn't steer the benefits of the Tricity in your direction MD?

The latest Tricity 155 offering is an improvemed machine over the 125. Study in detail some months back have identified numerous improvements beyond the increase in capacity. Especially so for rider comfort, ergonomics. If I can believe the price quoted they stack as being one of the best value scooters available.

My own opinion is that Yamaha limit themselves (in the Sydney market) by not having a dealer outlet near the urban hub. This is particularly relevant for their small capacity scooters 155cc and less. I spoke to an NMAX 125 rider today at Bondi who must take his ride all the way to Liverpool (Trooper Lu's) for servicing. Leave me out of that. 

• 11-26-2017 10:06 AM In reply to

Oh dear, Asps!

That having to go to Liverpool thing is just plain dumb!

Tricity 155 sounds better than the 125....man, that must have been a sluggish thing!.....but I'm not tempted.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-26-2017 03:15 PM In reply to

I have seen a few more of the Tricity125s about over the preceeding months. Wasn't even tempted to ride the 125 believing it to be underpowered. If you need to take the rig some ways to have it serviced a 125 is a challenging ride in modern outer metro traffic. It is not about top speed, but how quickly you can come up to speed to match modern auto motor vehicles, as we all know. So much aggression out there; impatience.

I just read an owners review of the new 155 (NZ). This guy had just traded his 125 Tricity for the latest 155. States that it is vastly improved in areas of performance, rider comfort and machine benefits. This parallels what I have previously read. I will test ride one next year. I wasn't interested in riding around 20 witches hats. I already 'get' the benefit offered by increased cornering stability. What about the rest of the package out in the jungle. I can see their place in the (two wheel) world. Make a fantastic 2nd vehicle. I remember encountering a guy (and his gal) aboard a Tricity 125 just after they were released. He rattled away at the number of amazing motorcycles that he owned (8), but he thought this things, particularly two up, sight seeing, was a gem.

• 11-27-2017 10:24 AM In reply to

Here's me on Saturday:

Very impressed with the Tricity, it's currently at the top of my shortlist.  I just wish they'd had some of the other models available for rides as well.

Then: Daelim S1 125
    Now: Honda PCX 150
  • 11-27-2017 03:15 PM In reply to

Re all this,

Did Suzuki have much of a presence? Just wondering cos for a while there that 110cc Address was selling well

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-28-2017 06:05 PM In reply to

Martin -

It seems to me that Yamaha are not very agile in promoting the 3 wheel concept or they would have sold more.

3 wheels will always be better than 2, but the bike is seen as a novelty by the general public/ first buyer who tend to be conservative.

They need to be coaxed!  (Wake up Yamaha!)

Now if they raised the stakes by putting in something more lively (say a 220-250cc engine/ at a low price) then we diehard scooter riders might get the ball rolling...

• 11-28-2017 08:32 PM In reply to

If you go back to the early days of the 125 Tricity release Yamaha did make an effort to court the two wheel media circus to promote acceptance and hopefully volume sales. But we're a conservative lot. I see this also in the bicycle world. Also, 125cc was underpowered, imo, adding to that no dealer outlets where 125cc might surffice. 

This latest model is a ground-up re-think, with new chassis, improved rider comfort and ergonomics. The 11.1 claimed kw output is at the top of the 150 class, with weight and rolling resistance of three wheels being the only detractors.

My head is screeming at me that this is a scooter I should seriously consider, now, at my age. And it is not about being timid with only two wheels. I need ride one to interpret whether there is a loss of riding enjoyment 'feel' over that which I have always known.

Now if only it had the little Burger 200 donk - If only I had a bigger boat.

Dealer location is a foreseeable impediment to me. But the Dio will remain a back-of-the-garage keeper 

• 11-29-2017 12:04 PM In reply to

Devil It's got 3 wheels end of story if safety is that important buy a car Stick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongueBig Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-29-2017 10:52 PM In reply to

Thanks Pyrah. Nothing like the swing of a big boot, a polished boot to boot, to add adjustment to a situation. As hard as I try I can't imagine myself riding around on the Tricity - imagine it being parked in my garage. So, early next year it will be a shoot-out between a Honda PCX 150 and the Yamaha NMAX 155. 

• 11-30-2017 02:57 PM In reply to

G'day Team,

(Long time Listener/ First time caller)

I'm with legendary Pyrah (since he resides in the Free Settling State) "It must have 2 wheels" !!!!!

just my 2cents worth;

What are these manufactures thinking !!!!! ffs

all I want is flat floor, power and modern styling. HEY YAMAHA !! GIVE ME THE SMAX 155 !!!! is it too much to ask ???

with the current climate I don't Care if they call it the "BiCity" (he he) I would still get one !

These Managers of these great Manufactures are out of touch with my thinking !!! (he he)

(bare with me, new to posting)

Regards

LittleJohnny

ǝlƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇᴉ ʇɐ ƃuᴉʞool ʎɹʇ

BWS100 now a 125
    09CB400 VTEC3 REVO SUPER4
    pretty in RedWhiteBlue
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au