Scooter
Community

Scooter ABS/Dropped Scarabeo

Last post 11-26-2017 11:20 PM by Fredy. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2017 09:13 AM

Scooter ABS/Dropped Scarabeo

Hi all,

i dropped the Scab the other afternoon. i was at walking speed...next thing, I'm on the ground!

No injury, just a sore leg and a mirror that needed a bit of realigning.

I looked back a metre or so from my 'landing spot" and I noted an oily rainbow which showed up after some rain...obviously that's what i slipped on.

This got me wondering, just how good could ABS be on a 2 wheeled vehicle, especially a scooter? On a car , if you slip for a short while and then regain control, no biggie but if the front whele on a scoot goes out, even for a split second, you're on the ground!

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-25-2017 10:41 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

Re: Scooter ABS/Dropped Scarabeo

ABS  does not stop you falling off.

It also cuts out at slow speeds where its effectiveness is nil.

The main value of ABS is where you need to stop from higher speeds and a skid at the front wheel will slide the front out from under the bike. When the ABS senses a lock up it reduces the brake leting the wheel grip and prevents it sliding out.

These things happen so fast the ride might not even be aware of the system working. A friend with a new Honda 500 arrived at work after a wet ride complaining his brakes were stuffed, they kept vibrating. Little did he realise his ABS probably kept him upright and got him safely to work.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 11-25-2017 11:22 AM In reply to

Interesting stuff, INMA, esp. re your Honda pal.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-25-2017 11:40 AM In reply to

further to that, i just checked specs for the new Yamaha X300 scoot+ it says that it has ABS to REAR wheel only...I wonder why no front wheel?

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-25-2017 06:47 PM In reply to

My Vespa GTS300 has ABS both front and rear, and also ASR. ASR stops skidding/slipping by detecting when the wheels are rotating at different speeds, and cuts the power for a moment.  

The ASR can be switched off, and I always switch it off when I start the scooter. Whith it on, the scooter hesitates on take-off and when going over bumps. I like to be able to do wheelies etc without interference from the mechanics. But I would leave the ASR switched on on wet, gritty, oily or sandy roads.

The ASR has to be re-calibrated (a simple procedure) when changing tyres or tyre pressure.

Mike

• 11-25-2017 09:49 PM In reply to

I seriously doubt that the XMAX 300 is rear wheel only ABS. It also is equipped with traction control. I'm looking at the latest Australia specific Yamaha comprehensive line-up brochure given to me at the show. Also, I understand the NMAX 155 is equipped with front and rear ABS. Yamaha had the best interactive scooter display - obviously keen to lift their market share.

• 11-25-2017 09:54 PM In reply to

The last generation Tricity 125 and the new, to Australia, Tricity 155 are equipped with ABS. This exemplifies the point being made by inma that the inclusion of ABS is not about front wheel stability. Sorry to hear about your fall MD. Even a small fall can be a phaf.

• 11-25-2017 10:20 PM In reply to

yep,

Looking at mcnews.au, you get "the fitment of a Traction Control System (TCS) as standard underlines the advanced specification of this new Sport Scooter. Using a number of sensors that temporarily reduce drive to the rear wheel when any loss of traction is detected, this electronic system provides rider confidence in wet or slippery conditions."

The Oz Yammie webbie doesn't mention any form of traction or ABS for the Xmax 300 at all

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/scooter/xmax%20300

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-25-2017 10:45 PM In reply to

• Fredy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-04-2015
    • Perth
    • Posts 15

The Scarabeo has linked brakes not ABS and this is something you need to be aware of when riding: you pull the rear brake handle, but the front brake will work as well. Brake force will be distributed across the two wheels and this needs a bit getting used to it, even for experienced riders. EURO 4 norm requires linked brakes for everything above 50 up to 125cc and ABS (single channel/front wheel) for everything above 125cc. The Scarabeo had linked brakes very early when ABS was not even around. The latest Euro must be fitted eith ABS otherwise they couldn't sell them anymore in Europe

• 11-26-2017 09:32 AM In reply to

Yes Fredy,

I can see some wisdom in the linked brakes but I'd prefer the old style where YOU control the braking.

Mind U, with ABS on both ends, it should be pretty good+ fail safe.

Aprilia 200ie
  • 11-26-2017 03:31 PM In reply to

Freddy you asked for some feedback about the Piaggio Medley in a previous post. Interesting reading about Piaggio Group increased sales, posted on this site, I was intrigued to see that the scooters marketed under their own name, to which they attributed improved sales success, was limited to the Beverley and the latest Liberty. No mention of the Medley, a scooter to which they had pinned great hopes.

Also, in the same 'bracket' the newly released Honda SH150 has been subject to a Honda sales promotion for six months. SIX MONTHS! 

• 11-26-2017 11:20 PM In reply to

• Fredy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-04-2015
    • Perth
    • Posts 15

Yeah aspro boy I was looking for feedback from people out there who really ride the Medley. It's I believe one of the best machines in the 150-200cc class but first hand owner experience would be bettet than my opinion....

Apparently not a lot are being sold (at least here in WA) but if you have the chance test ride one that is properly run in (500kms+ on the clock).

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au