Scooter
Community

Buying first bike: Bolwell VS125 v Sachs 150....help

Last post 01-24-2008 03:05 PM by crinos. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2008 05:53 PM

• Kathryn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2008
    • South Melbourne
    • Posts 28

Buying first bike: Bolwell VS125 v Sachs 150....help

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about the Sachs 150?

I am considering which bike to buy as my first bike, and whislt the Bolwell is very appealing, as it has a great name and looks fab, I am tempted by the price and the extra capability of the Sachs City 150.

I am struggling to find much information on the Sachs City 150, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions they would like to share.

I am so looking forward to buying my first bike and just want to make sure I get the right one for me.

Thanks for your help

Bolwell VS 125
    Silver / Grey
    ~~~~In Melbourne, on 2 wheels and Loving it~~~~
  • 01-22-2008 06:30 PM In reply to

Re: Buying first bike: Bolwell VS125 v Sachs 150....help

I agree on paper the Sachs City 150 does look good,  but if you compare build quality there is no comparison,  the Bolwell VS125 is literally in a different class. 

In my mind the Bolwell VS125 has brilliant build quality, reliability etc whereas the Sachs fits into the OK category.

If I was in the 125cc-150cc market, my choice value for money would be the Bolwell VS125, the Piaggio Fly (although the Fly is a little small for me) or maybe the Bug Agility,  if not concerned about price,  then I would include the Daelim NS125, Aprilia SportsCity, Vespa etc.

The Bolwell is a Taiwanese scooter, whereas the Sachs is mainland Chinese "generic" scooter.  

Generally you will find the Chinese scoots to be much lower quality than Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese or European scoots, I say generally because there are exceptions such as the Piaggio Fly which while it is made in China (not sure whether all the parts are manufactured in China), it is an Italian design, made under close supervision of Piaggio (Italy) and to their specifications. 

EDIT:   PS,   not sure,  but you would probably find the Sachs City would struggle to do much more than 95 km/h (like most Chinese scoots) whereas the smaller more efficient VS125 would probably be faster.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-22-2008 06:55 PM In reply to

• Paul Jam
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Brisbane - Southside
    • Posts 130

I agree with Kiwiscoota on that one.  Just because the Sachs has a bit bigger engine than the vs125, doesn't mean it is more powerful.  The VS125 from what I understand uses a fairly advanced enigne (4 valve, 4 stroke)  for a scoot in its price class and I would dare say it has a higher power output and top speed than the Sachs.  Plus the Bolwell has the backing of a 4 year warranty.

• 01-22-2008 08:31 PM In reply to

• RHINO62
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Dalby Qld
    • Posts 262

was there a write up of the Sach 150 in the last scooter mag???

1st Scooter Daelim S-Five
    Next Scooter ???
  • 01-22-2008 09:24 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

For the money the Sachs City is not a bad buy, being a good value classic styled scooter where the VS is not [classic styled].  It depends on your taste.  The VS is a great quality scoot as there are quite a few with them around here now.  Also they are in two different markets.

I suggest going for a ride on both and testing them both out and see which one you feel comfortable on.   If we all rode VS's or Fly's, it would be one boring world wouldn't it.  Don't get me wrong they are beautiful scooters.  But it brings back memories of the old days where Vespa and Lambrettas ruled the streets, though there were other high quality scooters also available on the market at the time, also worthy of a look at (just ask Klaus).  Take a look at the bike market 30-40 years ago when Japan started to get main stream with bike production.

Here are a couple of articles on the Sachs/Vmoto/Eagle-Wing:

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-902-new-sachs-city-125-150.aspx
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-1211-eagle-wing-cino-125.aspx
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-923-the-eagle-wing-cino-125.aspx
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-1155-vmoto-montego-125.aspx
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-497-eurovision.aspx

Here is some on the VS:

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-1078-vs125-setting-the-mark-for-value-for-money.aspx
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-976-bolwell-vs-125.aspx
    http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-973-bolwell-vs-125-launched-in-australia.aspx

Just keeping the view balanced and open! 

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 01-22-2008 09:48 PM In reply to

I'd seriously encourage you to go the VS125. My Momma told me if I don't got nothin' to say nice, then don't say nothin' at all. So I'm not going to say nothin' about the City.

• 01-22-2008 09:56 PM In reply to

I saw a red City 150 with white wall tyres on it the other day and I have to say it looked so gay yet so good. Bolwell's do have a better finish but a bit more $$$. If it was me I'd go with a jap brand. All these chinese made scoots still dont hold there own against a Honda for reliablity. If I really had the money I'd go a @125 or a Forza but hey, that just me. Big Smile

• 01-22-2008 10:12 PM In reply to

Nothing wrong with the Japanese mate, good reputation. Except their game shows that is.

• 01-22-2008 10:13 PM In reply to

pete the pom:

I saw a red City 150 with white wall tyres on it the other day and I have to say it looked so gay yet so good. Bolwell's do have a better finish but a bit more $$$. If it was me I'd go with a jap brand. All these chinese made scoots still dont hold there own against a Honda for reliablity. If I really had the money I'd go a @125 or a Forza but hey, that just me. Big Smile

Just don't confuse mainland Chinese with Taiwan,  they are in a completely difference class when it comes to manufacturing quality.

I perhaps should have mentioned in that price range there is also the Yamaha BeeWee 100,  the Honda Lead 100, Bolwell Jet 100 and Bolwell Mio 100, all of which would have performance similar to a Sachs City 150 despite being 100cc.  

Amongst those ones,  I've ridden the Yamaha and the Honda and they are very nicely built and pleasant scoots to ride.  The Honda Lead 100 has the advantage that it is a 4 stroke,  but Yamaha & Bolwell 100's have an edge in performance.

Deklan 

• 01-22-2008 10:14 PM In reply to

I can vouch for the BeeWee, very, very solid and well build scooter. Still miss it too. Until I open the garage every morning.Big Smile  

• 01-23-2008 08:39 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

I have a Mio 100cc which is also a 4 stroke and am very happy with the performance and the way it's put together.

The 4 year warranty was a bonus as well.

Cheers:) 

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 01-23-2008 03:09 PM In reply to

• crinos
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Hobart
    • Posts 124

Denni:

I have a Mio 100cc which is also a 4 stroke and am very happy with the performance and the way it's put together.

The 4 year warranty was a bonus as well.

Cheers:) 

It's $650 more than a VS125 though(same warranty being a Bolwell too)... unless you really want the retro styling and a small scooter, it'd be hard to choose the Mio over the VS125! :)

Incidentally, I just put a deposit on a white VS125 today. This is going to be loooooong wait this week waiting for it to be delivered... :(

EDIT: For the record, I test drove a Bug Agility for half an hour and the Bolwell is far better quality. I wouldn't say the Agility was *bad* , but it was very basic and "no frills" and not nearly as nice as the VS125.... so being the same price, I naturally chose the Bolwell!

My scooter: none :(
    My bike: Honda VTR250 :)
    Wife's scooter: Honda Today 50 :D
  • 01-23-2008 04:55 PM In reply to

• Kathryn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2008
    • South Melbourne
    • Posts 28

Thanks all for your helpful advice.  The four wheels are on the market so I can buy the two!  I am thinking of going with the VS125, 2 extra inches on the wheels and the great name and reputation, hard to pass up - even if it is a little more expensive.

See you on the road!

Kathryn

Bolwell VS 125
    Silver / Grey
    ~~~~In Melbourne, on 2 wheels and Loving it~~~~
  • 01-23-2008 05:16 PM In reply to

Kathryn:

Thanks all for your helpful advice.  The four wheels are on the market so I can buy the two!  I am thinking of going with the VS125, 2 extra inches on the wheels and the great name and reputation, hard to pass up - even if it is a little more expensive.

See you on the road!

Kathryn

One of the nice things about all Bolwell scoots is their 4 year warranty,   long warranties are always good piece of mind.

Deklan 

• 01-24-2008 02:09 AM In reply to

Don't concentrate on cost of purchase.  You have to consider cost of ownership. Better quality vehicles last longer, hold their value better, and they are often cheaper to service too!  So not cost, value.  And this thread shows a certain consistency in its advice!

There are plenty of people on the forums that I know have found that out the hard way, but won't make the same mistake again.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au