Scooter
Community

Help please: want to do an oil change on my CygnusX

Last post 08-04-2008 03:57 AM by Clark9t. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2008 01:53 PM

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

Help please: want to do an oil change on my CygnusX

With the next official 'Yamaha' service not due till 6000km, I need to have the oil changed every 3000km, so I am coming up to the 4000km mark (which is 3000 from the initial 1000km service) and wanted to do the oil change myself (as suggested by Brendon), but not too sure where to start. I have changed the oil numerous times for my cars, but never a bike.

So I was just wondering if it is easy enough to locate the drain bolt, run a little clean oil through, then replace the bolt and fill the oil up?

Another thing is that the oil change indicator has come on at the 3000km mark, but the Yamaha service guys say don't worry about it till around 4-5000km?????

Either way I'd like to change the oil now (between 3000-4000km) myself, then put it in for the 'official' service at 6000km as per the book! 

Any help would be appreciated!

Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 02-27-2008 04:21 PM In reply to

Re: Help please: want to do an oil change on my CygnusX

mttttt:

With the next official 'Yamaha' service not due till 6000km, I need to have the oil changed every 3000km, so I am coming up to the 4000km mark (which is 3000 from the initial 1000km service) and wanted to do the oil change myself (as suggested by Brendon), but not too sure where to start. I have changed the oil numerous times for my cars, but never a bike.

So I was just wondering if it is easy enough to locate the drain bolt, run a little clean oil through, then replace the bolt and fill the oil up?

Another thing is that the oil change indicator has come on at the 3000km mark, but the Yamaha service guys say don't worry about it till around 4-5000km?????

Either way I'd like to change the oil now (between 3000-4000km) myself, then put it in for the 'official' service at 6000km as per the book! 

Any help would be appreciated!

Im getting the first 1000km service on my vespa, and will do the same, do the normal scheduled maintenence for warranty purposes, and change the oil frequenstly, probably every 2 or 3 thousand kms, plus a new oil filter. It cant hurt, and will prolong the life of the scooter. 

• 02-27-2008 04:22 PM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Hey mttttt. Does your owners manual help? It should indicate how to reset your oil light indicator after service & volume of oil required.

If not the plug will be on the bottom side of the oil sump under the engine. It will be a largish hex head I would imagine. The oil change should be as simple as oil in your car, but a bit trickier with the refill usually through the dipstick tube. Use a small funnel & it should be sweet.

I used to do the oil in the Monaco all the time with no probs. would not hesitate to do the Sportcity either.

• 03-14-2008 02:18 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

hey guys, the CygnusX is fast approaching the 4000k mark (only 3000k since the first service), and i want to change the oil myself....not too sure about the correct bolt, etc, but i could source the oil, etc okay.....Yamaha dealer said $50 just to change the oil, then another $120 when the normal 6000km service comes around.

so my plan is to do the oil change myself now, then get Yamaha to do the scheduled service at 6000km.

just wondering if anyone in the Brissy area can simply show me where/how and i will take it from there?

cheers!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 03-14-2008 02:53 PM In reply to

• Clarry
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-17-2008
    • Bonnet Bay, Sydney
    • Posts 153

I do my own oil changes on my Arriba XS & I do it every 1000kms or so. Why not, it's cheap & easy to do.

Down to Auto1 and spent $42.00 on an oil drip pan, a long thin funnel & 5lt of 15/40 oil. That's enough for 5 oil changes.

Take out the oil dip stick, position the tray under the sump, remove the sump plug with a 17mm open ended spanner & then go have a coffee while it's draining. About 10 mins.

Replace the plug and fill with 900ml of the good new oil.

Done & dusted in under 30 mins. 

• 03-14-2008 03:14 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

thanks Clarry! i will check out the location of the sump plug this afternoon....which I gather should be somewhere under the dip stick!

any need for a sump plug washer at all?

any other tips, etc....most welcome!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 03-14-2008 03:50 PM In reply to

Old Ice cream buckets make great containers for catching the oil & are heaps cheaper than the car ones. The engine will hold around 1 ltr.

Use an oil like Shell VSX4 (full Synthetic)

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 03-14-2008 06:09 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Or a dish out of my cupboard as my husband does.  I find a lot of my tupperware type items in his shed

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 03-14-2008 06:47 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

Scooter HQ:

Old Ice cream buckets make great containers for catching the oil & are heaps cheaper than the car ones. The engine will hold around 1 ltr.

Use an oil like Shell VSX4 (full Synthetic)

Thanks Brendon....I know you mentioned Shell oil on the last run, but couldn't remember which one!

Checked out the manual (properly ie.) and noted 2x Engine Oil Drain bolts (one underneath & one one side).....do you undo both ie. will oil come out both, or do you just undo the bottom one?

Also mentions an Oil Strainer?????

So from what I can gather, just get a plate (or old continer), some Shell VSX4 oil and do it! Any particular oil type or grade? As they mention TYPE - SAE...10W30 or 10W40 or 15W40 or 20W40 or 20W50????? .....and GRADE - API service SE, SF, SG or higher!

Cheers guys....must change this weekend, as it'll be just on 2900km since the last oil change and the next scheduled service is not until 6000km!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 03-14-2008 09:45 PM In reply to

While I know nothing about your Yamaha CygnusX,  being as I understand a 125cc there seems to be a good chance it uses the same engine/transmission as the Yamaha Vino125.

So if I were you I'd download the Vino 125 tech manual from the Downloads Yamaha section of this web site and check it out.

cheers

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 03-15-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

mttttt:
    Checked out the manual (properly ie.) and noted 2x Engine Oil Drain bolts (one underneath & one one side).....do you undo both ie. will oil come out both, or do you just undo the bottom one?

The drain plug should be the lowest one & there will be an oil strainer & spring attached to the plug (Don't put it back in upside down). The manual will give you a choice of 10W40, 20W40 or 20W50 oils depending on the ambient temp you live in. There should be a chart in the manual giving temperatures & recommended W to suit. So if you live in a cold climate go for a lighter oil, if you live in a warmer climate go for a heavier oil. VSX 4 is a 15W50 so it good for our (Qld) conditions.

Email me I picture if you like & I'll let you know which one.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 03-16-2008 08:51 AM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

Hey Brendon, can't seem to find Shell VSX4 anywhere near me....I have found SX4, but from reading this appears not to be fully synthetic....does this matter? I am gathering a fully synthetic oil is best overall! Any suggestions? In fact, what do you guys charge for (1) just an oil change (& how long does it take?) AND (2) a standard service (oil & bike checkover, etc....how long?)?????

As for the drain bolts (the two), the manual certainly says remove both and be careful with the o-ring, spring and oil strainer.

Cheers for the help!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 03-16-2008 09:10 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

took some photo's of the cygnus...looking from the left!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 03-16-2008 10:41 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

mttttt:
    Hey Brendon, can't seem to find Shell VSX4 anywhere near me....

I have found the same drama, so I use Fuchs for Scooters.  Have to get my hands on some Motul again I think!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 03-16-2008 11:35 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

second photo -