Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Bolwell VS 125

Last post 06-18-2008 08:44 PM by WYSIWYG. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2008 08:46 PM

Bolwell VS 125

Hi Everyone, I have recently bought a Bolwell VS 125. I am really happy with it. I just have a few questions about it's performance and to see if anyone else has had similar performance issues. First of all, when I start it in the morning and drive off, without fail it stalls at the first intersection I stop at. Is this normal? Should I let it warm up first? Occasionally as-well, when I first start it up, i have noticed that blue/grey smoke appears from the exhaust. Is this a problem? And also, I occasionally hear the scooter back fire (like pops coming from the exhaust). My friend thinks that this might be caused by using Premium fuel instead of unleaded. The dealership that I bought it from suggested that I could use premium to increase performance. Any comments would be appreciated Thanks
  • 06-03-2008 09:12 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: Bolwell VS 125

That doesn't sound right for a 4 stroke, maybe a bit of white out of the exhaust but not blue grey and the back fire?. ill leave it to one of the mechanics to diagnose the reason. The word ive had is to just use the unleaded.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-04-2008 06:10 AM In reply to

yes you should let it warm up for a few min!

unlike efi you will have it stall if its not warm and you ride off on it when its cold and the auto choke cuts out, also you will notice the poor performance when it is cold for a few min till its warm.

are you sure the smoke isnt condensation?

i have noticed most scooters backfire a bit when reving high and backing off, but if its excessive get it checked by the dealer..

i doubt the premium fuel would cause any issues, my mate always runs 98 in his and has no worries, but why not try 2-3 tanks of regular of 95 to see if you notice any difference

• 06-04-2008 07:54 AM In reply to

• scootgc
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 156

Dr Cards, great choice of scooter. Do as suggested and take the scooter back to the dealer. We can try to give you a heap of answers but at the end of the day the dealer will have to correct anything for you if it is needed. Let us know how you go.

ScootGC

Regards Adam
    Scooter Shop at your service.
    www.thescootershop.net.au
  • 06-18-2008 08:44 PM In reply to

• WYSIWYG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney NSW
    • Posts 85

I've had a VS125 since March (great choice of scooter btw :))

I'm up to 1,945kms so far, and haven't had any of the problems you've mentioned (knock on wood).  I always warm up the engine before riding off, usually 3-5 mins.  It's the time I take to get ready....stow things away under the seat, in the top box, zip up the jacket, put helmet on, put gloves on, walk around, kick the tires, etc etc.  Then off I go.

Haven't had any smoke either or backfiring.  I've used normal unleaded and premium unleaded...and I haven't really noticed much increase in economy.  It's probably because I ride in peak hour traffic, although I am averaging around 30km/l.

I'd take it back to the dealer and find out if anything's wrong.

Good luck.

SYM VS125 (white)
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au