Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Tyre Reviews

Last post 06-23-2008 01:41 PM by VENTURI. 47 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-16-2008 08:28 PM

Tyre Reviews

Hi all I'm currently in the market for new tyres for the Le Grande & was wondering if people would mind reviewing various tyres they've used, particularly in the wet.
    Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-16-2008 08:41 PM In reply to

Re: Tyre Reviews

I've had Michelin's and currently have Pirelli fitted to my ride.  I much prefer the Pirelli's for high speed work whether in dry or wet conditions. 

For city speeds, I found Michelins have an edge over the Pirelli in terms of wet weather performance.

As the bulk of my riding is high speed work,  I'll probably stick with the Pirelli. 

------------------------------------------
    David
    Vespa GTS 300 Super
  • 06-16-2008 08:41 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

Hi ScootaNut,

I have just had Continental Twists fitted to my Honda, I have only ridden in the wet once and am impressed with the grip. The only thing that takes a bit to get used to is the road noise from them.

You have 12 inch rims on the Le Grande so you should have a good choice.

I will be interested to know if others with the Conti's notice the noise also.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 06-17-2008 09:33 AM In reply to

Denni:

I will be interested to know if others with the Conti's notice the noise also.

I don't remember noticing any more noise when I put Conti's on the Monaco....i was just so impressed with the level of grip and smoothness of the ride that they could have sounded like a 747 taking off and I wouldn't have cared....Big Smile

Riding a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and selling the Derbi GP1-250 - PLEASE BUY IT!!!!!!!

• 06-17-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sava Mc-29s are nice. Smooth ride and tons of grip right to the edge of the shoulder. They do wear being (what I believe are) a softer compund tyre than your average commuter tyre shod runabout. Rob's had the same pair of  Sava Mc-29s on the Bandit we've raced in the 6 hour and the youngstar race series and they were so sweet. At the end of the last round there was still plenty of tread in the middle of the tyre but the shoulders were getting worn down.

However, to the ability in the rain, I can't tell you. Maybe Rob's ridden the bandit in the rain or I think Shell had Savas on her Monza so she might have had a dice in the wet. So will see about that.

Now Cheng Shins!!!!  Well what a mixed bag of hoodoo we got here.  The Agility runs 120/70 front and 130/70 rear on 12" rims.  Now I've had the Agility on the track a few times still shod with the Chengshins and they went ok as my track prowess improved slowly. But I'll say this... The front tyre profile just ain't right. Almost a triangle and as you approach into a corner, you feel the bike wants to tip in suddenly as you get to a certain point and you got make an adjustment for it.  The rear though seems to be an entirely different situation. Smooth, nice round profile and nothing much to say about it.  I haven't found it to be lacking when I've had the front end of the Agility all over the place.  I think for a challenge I'll leave the chengshin on the Rear and throw a Sava Mc-29 or if I can get it, an MC-31 S-Racer on the front. Might have some sweet Motard style backing it in to corners in the race series.  We'll have to see.

Anyway, Sava's are avail from Brenton at GPS Imports

Ya just can't beat having a good tinker.....
  • 06-17-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

Denni:
    I will be interested to know if others with the Conti's notice the noise also

No problem for me, I consider them a quiet tyre.

Cheng Shins or "lane changers" as we call them (turn right on a dual lane roundabout in the wet & you'll see why we call them lane changers) are pretty ordinary K-Star. The Sava's are much better than the chengs but I don't consider them as good as the Michelin Pilot sports or Conti Twists & we have ridden on them all.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 06-17-2008 12:40 PM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

I use Conti Twists and have found them to be much quieter and smoother than the standard tyres that were previously on the scooter.
  • 06-17-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Tyres I've had,

Monaco 12"

Kenda's - burnout tyres

Conti Twist- excellent wet or dry

Conti Twist Sport- even better

Sportcity

Sava MC28- Pretty good, will go to Michelins next time if available

I have also ridden scoots with 12" Michelin pilot's & they were very good. Also 12" Cheng shits    shen's...... No thanks, I'll walk.

• 06-17-2008 01:35 PM In reply to

• RatRide
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-07-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 532

no-one has mentioned 10" tyres, as I seem to recall the Conti twists don't come in 10"....

Don't forget us poor people with only 10 inches?? Stick out tongue

I actually did a really close-up check of RatRide's tyres and they are f&*ked. Rubber is perished and starting to crack between the treads. I was hoping they'd last to 10 000kms (I'm at 9100km now) so I could give him a birthday present, but will be needing something before then. Indifferent

Matt black is the new black!

Vmoto Milan Tech Blog
    Vmoto Monza Tech blog

2003 Vmoto Milan
    2005 Vmoto "Monzta"
    2007 Suzuki M109R + scoot trailer
  • 06-17-2008 02:00 PM In reply to

Don't worry Ratty. You're not alone. They also don't cater for the LeGrande's apparenlty odd profile - 130/70-12 back, 110/80-12 front. it looks like I might have to stick with the Maxxis! Although there's a possiblity of Michelins for the rear wheel atleast. Tyre shopping shouldn't be so painful!

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-17-2008 02:05 PM In reply to

RatRide:
    no-one has mentioned 10" tyres, as I seem to recall the Conti twists don't come in 10"....

Conti Twist do come in 10 inch sizes including the race compound in 350/10, but for the 90/90/10 Conti Zippy are a good choice

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 06-17-2008 02:07 PM In reply to

ScootaNut:
    130/70-12 back

Is a standard tyre size & you can get just about everything for them. Font is a bit harder, we have asked the importer about a Twist in that size, awaiting response.

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 06-17-2008 03:15 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 06-17-2008 04:22 PM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

They even come in a chunky 10 to suit the BeeWee.

• 06-17-2008 05:27 PM In reply to

• RatRide
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-07-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 532

Scooter HQ:

RatRide:

Conti Twist do come in 10 inch sizes including the race compound in 350/10, but for the 90/90/10 Conti Zippy are a good choice

Conti twists for the Rat. oh yeh!!!

So what are the Conti Zippy's? I'll call you tomorrow Brendon. Also about my throttle cable as well. I'd forgotten about that.. he he 

Matt black is the new black!

Vmoto Milan Tech Blog
    Vmoto Monza Tech blog

2003 Vmoto Milan
    2005 Vmoto "Monzta"
    2007 Suzuki M109R + scoot trailer
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au