Scooter
Community

Looking at buying a new 50cc

Last post 07-02-2008 11:48 AM by Scooter HQ. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2008 02:52 PM

Looking at buying a new 50cc

Hi everyone

Driving home from work last night my mitsubishi cordia turbo had its last journey after 19 years. It's in pretty poor shape and not worth fixing.

I only travel 3km to the train station a day or maybe once a week 12km if I drive to work and thought a scooter could be a good option.

I'm in Perth and looking at spending around $2000-$2500. I've done a bit of reading on the forums the past few days finding some info. The only thing that worries me is the 50km limiter as i've have to go on a 70km road to get to work. I'm only a lightweight 60kg, does that make any difference?

Are the vmoto matrix half decent? i've just seen they have had a price drop (are they better than the monza and milan?) I'm planning this weekend to go have a look at a few as i'll need some transport soon.

Cheers

Dan

• 06-19-2008 03:06 PM In reply to

Re: Looking at buying a new 50cc

Thanks for that. But with a 125cc will I need to get my motorbike license?

Unfortuantly I just can't really afford the lessons and wait at the moment.

• 06-19-2008 03:14 PM In reply to

Welcome to the club Kuta!

If you bypass the 4 strokes & buy something like a Yamaha Beewee or a TGB 101 you'll easily be able to do the speeds you've specified (once derestricted for trackwork) AND you'll be able to join us on the group rides! Wink

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-19-2008 10:13 PM In reply to

Thanks.

I'm just looking at the TGB website now, the 101 S looks like it will do the job. Though the R50x does look pretty good too, maybe a little over budget.

I'm happy with the 50km limit for the moment. I can still get to work and train station through 50km max roads and i've never been on a scooter before could be a good thing to learn on.

Maybe down the track I might get my license and purchase a new bike.

• 06-20-2008 08:13 AM In reply to

kuta kintay:
    101 S looks like it will do the job. Though the R50x does look pretty good too

I know 2 people with TGB's personally, and one is Tubsta with his R50X. Derestricted, he's hitting 90km/h no probs.

My apprentice has a 303 S, but its a 150cc. It goes like the clappers, and reasomable build quality. Good choices. 

• 06-20-2008 09:47 AM In reply to

kuta kintay:
    the 101 S looks like it will do the job. Though the R50x does look pretty good too, maybe a little over budget.

You only get to buy it once.

The 101S is a basic but solid scoot the R50 is so much better. Smoother, better handling & better braking which makes it easier to ride. If you can afford the extra couple of $ spend it on the R50.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 06-20-2008 10:04 AM In reply to

Two things to look for in a 50cc particularly if you are depending on it for transport.  1) Warranty - I'd recommend at least 2 years to ensure an dependable quality and 2) physical size - some lower priced scooters are physically quite small.

BTW the BeeWee is a 100cc. 

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-20-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

steve@ace:
    1) Warranty - I'd recommend at least 2 years to ensure an dependable quality

How is the warranty comprimised with de-restriction Steve?

• 06-20-2008 03:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for all the help.

I'll come and see Steve in Joondalup on the weekend. He seems really respected on the forums and has local knowledge.

So i gather the $3k mark scooters are alot better in terms of quality and handling compared to the entry level $2k scooters?

• 06-20-2008 03:20 PM In reply to

dozer:

steve@ace:
    1) Warranty - I'd recommend at least 2 years to ensure an dependable quality

How is the warranty comprimised with de-restriction Steve?

Warranty isn't compromised by derestriction if its essentially a reversal of what the manufacturer has done to slow the vehicle down for the market (ie done by someone who knows what to do for that particular vehicle).  If its modified (speed-pipe, variator kit etc) then technically its not - though only for the parts affected ie if you modified the transmission and had a problem with an indicator switch there wouldn't be an issue, but if the vbelt tore to shreds or the clutch got Friar Tucked then you'd be Whistling Dixie.   

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-20-2008 03:23 PM In reply to

kuta kintay:
    So i gather the $3k mark scooters are alot better in terms of quality and handling compared to the entry level $2k scooters?

Yep

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 06-20-2008 03:33 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

kuta kintay:

Yep

Yep, $1000 is a big difference in the scooter world. $3000 gets great value for money, where $2000 buys you way less than a third  less scoot.

• 06-20-2008 05:50 PM In reply to

Though build-quality wise, there are a couple of exceptions if you know what you are looking for... 

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-26-2008 06:57 AM In reply to

• vicks
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2008
    • Hillsdale NSW
    • Posts 131

kuta kintay:

Thanks for that. But with a 125cc will I need to get my motorbike license?

Unfortuantly I just can't really afford the lessons and wait at the moment.

Here are somethings I never considered when I purchased my 50cc vespa, hope they help your decision.

1. Journey limitations
    This is good since you live in Perth, can give you some real examples.  I usually take Graham Farmer Freeway home but couldn't when on my vespa, also travelling from UWA to church (mt pleasant) I had to go all the way along riverside drive to the causeway, then down canning hwy (a 30min journey) as opposed to an 8min ride down the freeway.  If I had a faster scoot I probably would have rode a lot more, but if I had to do freeway journeys, I had to car it... no choice else it would take forever to get around.  Especially when travelling to northern suburbs.

2. Top speed
    You mentioned going on 70kmph roads.  It's really not that comfortable on a 50cc because 70kmph is like your max max speed (derestricted, no wind, smooth/flat road).  When I went on Leach Highway it was really scary, since no one is going 70kmph, they are all going 80kmph, while I'm going an average of 65kmph and 55-60 on windy days.  Further east on Leach hwy is even worse when the speed limit is 80kmph!  Plus, people want you to move over to the left lane cos you're slower, but you find yourself stuck cos you don't want to cut in front of a car in the left lane and now hold him up! sigh...

3. Cost of licence/lessons vs Decline in resale value
    When you take into account the added convenience I really think it's worth getting lessons and getting your licence.  I didn't even know the RE-A class existed back then so there are easier options.  If I had to do it all again I would definitely go this route.  But if money is really an issue then you learn to live with it, as I did.  But all the times I had the thought "damn can't take that route" or "I'm holding up traffic =[" would never have happened and lane filtering would be guilt free because you didn't hold up traffic after you squeezed your way to the front of the line.  Just want to add that in Perth, the scooter market is very young and small, so selling a scooter 2nd hand isn't as easy as you think.  Also most people in the 50cc market are like yourself, low on cash, so they're not really looking to spend top dollar.  This doesn't help resale value...

4. Other costs
    This isn't really abour 50cc's but just something to remember like others have said.  Don't forget to account for insurance costs, helmet, gloves, jacket, luggage etc.  These can really add up sometimes.

Sorry if this post is late, don't want to be the guy that makes you regret your purchase.  But these are things I learnt after owning a 50cc for 4 years.  But once you start riding you'll never go back, save so much money (petrol, parking), time (traffic, looking for parking) and the convenience is incredible (rocking up to uni, movies, events 5 mins before they start because there's no need to find parking - this one is the best!).  All things said, whether you decide to go 50/125/150/200/250cc, it's still better than a car =].  Happy scootering =].

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. [Romans 5:8]
  • 06-26-2008 07:13 AM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

I being reading your post on getting a biiger scooter licence ,and I totally agree of what you are saying about the cost of lessions  and upgrading to bigger scooter above 50cc , training provided at no cost for free. how about that !!

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au