Scooter
Community

Riding on the freeway (perth)

Last post 07-14-2008 07:50 PM by Scooternut. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-11-2008 10:50 AM

Riding on the freeway (perth)

Hi guys just inquiring as to people's experiences. I'm knew to riding and i've avoided the freeway so far i figure when my confidence gets to a certain level i'll use it. I drive on it a fair bit with work in a small truck and i reckon that when people get onto the freeway there head goes up their ***. I'm driving along and you see people realise oh this is my exit whilst in the right lane and "look out here i come" the're making that exit regardless. It seems to me its no place to be on a scooter. ??

Carlton Blue Vespa GTS250
    Freo
  • 07-11-2008 10:59 AM In reply to

Re: Riding on the freeway (perth)

Hi Scoota

while I do tend to avoid the freeway in most circumstances, I have used it on a couple of occasions but only on weekends, preferably Sunday. I have to admit that I prefer taking the scenic route to any destination, even if it does take me twice as long! ;)

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 07-11-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

I've been riding a scooter for a bit over 6 months. I've only started riding on the freeway during peak hours this week. I've actually found it quite easy. I haven't got to the lane splitting part and I don't think I will. So far I haven't had any incidents.

When I ride my scooter anywhere behind traffic I always look at the rear lights of the car 2 or 3 cars ahead. When their brake lights come on my hands go to the brakes. Basically I'm anticipating ahead of time. On the freeway I'm continuously scanning left and right because cagers seem to have forgotten that indicators aren't an optional  extra.

Just be alert and watchfull 360 degrees around you.

I was riding home from work on the freeway yesterday. All of a sudden we got an almighty storm. It was blowing a gale and pelting down. It was very scary and exhilarating at the same time. Once I got home I was on a real high. It certainly builds my confidence knowing that I made it home after that deluge.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 07-11-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

Yes i've avoiding the bad weather as well i think the scooter got a weekend in the shed coming up. 
    Carlton Blue Vespa GTS250
    Freo
  • 07-11-2008 01:31 PM In reply to

ride on the freeway every day, twice a day. Its good fun as long as you remember everyone else is a total fuckwit. Personally I stay in the outside lane as I find I can see the bastards coming better. Middle lane = attacks from both sides

Scooters - for men who dont need to over compensate.
  • 07-11-2008 09:15 PM In reply to

gibbo1969:
    Middle lane = attacks from both sides

Well said !!  Yes

I always avoid the middle for exactly that reason.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 07-11-2008 09:32 PM In reply to

if you remember that all the other people on the freeway are out to kill you.

keep scanning ahead and to the sides. watch out for everything.

argentum melle
  • 07-11-2008 09:33 PM In reply to

Wow you guys made it sound like it's a really scary thing for scooter rider, now I'm seriously considering if I should ever hit that only freeway that connects my area to the rest of the world. The beewee can only hit 90+, we have 80-100 zones on it, I'd be murdered if I keep to the outer lane even just for that 10mins Tongue Tied

• 07-11-2008 09:41 PM In reply to

i wouldn't be riding a beewee on the freeway. you will need a scooter to at least be able substain the freeway speed with bit of extra speed to cover overtaking moves.

usually 200cc and bigger are appropiate.

argentum melle
  • 07-14-2008 10:28 AM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

gibbo1969:
    Middle lane = attacks from both sides

Thanks for the advice Gibbo and Kiwiscoota. I decided to travel down the outside lane going home on Friday and it felt much more comfortable. Sigh... I'm learning so much.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 07-14-2008 01:24 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

It doesn't worry me riding on the freeway, I had to, so I could get to the place that my Q ride was being held at, then during the test we did a long ride over everything, train tracks, gravel, country roads, round a bouts, u turns, hill starts, merging on the freeway and into traffic for over two hours to access the different areas we had to use the freeway.

There would be no way that I would even consider taking the Mighty Mio on roads that have speeds 90kph or higher, 80 is ok.

If I'm in a hurry I take the Honda on the freeway, if not, the scenic route with the Mighty Mio.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 07-14-2008 07:50 PM In reply to

I just received the following in response to an enquiry I sent (note the definition of "moped") -

In addition to a minimum speed on freeways, where a person shall not drive a vehicle at a speed that is more than 20 km/h below the speed limit unless  there is traffic congestion or it is unsafe or imprudent to do so (Regulation 12), the Road Traffic Code 2000 places further restrictions on mopeds on freeways. 79. Further restrictions on freeways(1) In addition to regulation 78, a person shall not on any portion of a freeway —(a) drive a tractor, other than the prime mover type, unless the vehicle is used by an authorised body for maintenance and construction work on that road;(b) drive or ride a moped or an animal; or(c) ride a bicycle, except on a path.Modified penalty: 2 PU ($100) (2) In subregulation (1) —“moped” means a motor cycle that has a propelling engine having a piston displacement not exceeding 50 mL and thatis designed so as not to be capable of a speed exceeding 60 km/h, whether or not it is also capable of being propelled as a pedal cycle, but does not include a power assisted pedal cycle.[Regulation 79 amended in Gazette 13 Jul 2001 p. 3473.] Freeways must have Start and End Freeway signs to be classified as a freeway (Mitchell, Kwinana and Graham Farmer), so mopeds as defined are not permitted on those roads. It seems that Ms Keightly’s scooter is not a moped as it is 170cc and does more than 60 km/h. Her vehicle is classified as a motorcycle and can therefore legally travel on freeways provided she can meet Regulation 12 in terms of minimum speeds.
    Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au