Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Daelim S1 125

Last post 02-06-2018 12:35 PM by kyza. 130 replies.
Page 4 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2008 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: Daelim S1 125

Just a followup ... went and looked at the Annadale S1 today and gave it a good look over & a grope as well Stick out tongue Most impressed with the build quality & ergonomics. A bit heavier than the Mio 100's that I am used to in SEAsia but that aint such a bad thing. It was pishing down Storm so a ride was out of the question do my mate is going back over the weekend for a test ride.

The glovebox seemed a little flimsy but had a cig-lighter plug. Fuel cap lockable & the key also releases the seat lock from the ignition. Doubt any fullface other than XS size will fit under the seat but feel that you could arrange some hook for a helmets d-ring. Both ride & pillion seating was comfortable and good visibility for both occupants. Main stand was easy to operate.

Only real concern was the amount of bodywerk ... that first scratch will be painfull Crying

I think we are almost there mentally to buy this sucka (had to say sucka - Mr T was staying @ my hotel for a Snickas promo). Vic Roads have allayed all rego issues so hopefully next week we can give some real life feedback

Cheers   

Brand Spankin new Daelim S1
  • 07-26-2008 05:59 AM In reply to

kgb-agent:
    The glovebox seemed a little flimsy

That seems to be a common thing with so many scooters,  the rest of the scoot can be quite well built and the manufacturer skimps on the glovebox.. Tongue Tied

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 07-26-2008 09:06 AM In reply to

kgb-agent:
    Doubt any fullface other than XS size will fit under the seat but feel that you could arrange some hook for a helmets d-ring.

It is quite large & takes my nolan N42 & Shark full faced (not at the same time obviously) with room around the helmet. The seat is sculpted from the inside for more storage volume.

kgb-agent:
    Only real concern was the amount of bodywerk ... that first scratch will be painfull

It's the lines, notice everything like the indicators are integrated into the panelwork, if it does go down it will be like the S-five, just pick it up & go. Panels & parts for the Daelims are quite reasonable. More than the Chinese stuff but less than the European & Japanese stuff.

kgb-agent:
    I think we are almost there mentally to buy this sucka

I've been riding it around for a week now, if you are spending $3,990 + orc on a 125cc scooter you won't find anything better. Brilliant

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 07-26-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

I was in at Scooter HQ yesterday getting a annoying squeak checked on the Honda and while the guys were checking it out Brendon offered me a test ride on the S1, well how could I refuse really nice looking scoot with all the bits I wish for on the Honda (disks front and rear and EFI).

Wow great scoot to ride, nice solid feel, the disks work a treat, while I to ride a Mio 100, I didn't notice the weight at all, just a higher riding position. Really easy to do tight turns, and would be great through some twisties. 

If you are looking for a 125cc, you would be hard pressed to find a scoot that could match all the features that this scoot offers.

For my money the black looks the ducks nuts! 

kgb-agent:
    It was pishing down Storm so a ride was out of the question

When you do get a test ride I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Cheers,

Denni. 

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 07-26-2008 05:02 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

I bought a Daelim NS125 in March this year. I ride it every day and have got over 6000 ks on the clock. Its been the perfect commuter scooter with plenty of power and excellent reliability, so I was interested when its long awaited younger brother, the S1 hit the streets. I’ve just got back from a test ride on the S1 today and here are some thoughts.

When you get on it feels a little higher than the NS and the seat feels a little harder as does the suspension. I started it and it sounded so tight and smooth. It had only 10k’s on the clock but the whole overall feel was that it was better built than the NS. Off through Parramatta Rd gridlock I quickly hit the back streets and the S1 ran free. It wasn’t quite as fast off the mark as the NS with 6,000 ks and run in, but it did kick in and when it did it sounded throaty and I thought wow, how would be with a hot exhaust? Riding a S1 has reminiscences of riding a motorcycle. It felt tall and thin and pokey.

I was soon on the 70k/h freeway heading toward Anzac bridge and the S1 was away. To my astonishment the speedo was in the high 90”s before I had to slow down for traffic The S1 just wants to leap above 100. From 70 to 100 took no time at all. With the bigger wheels it begs the question what will its top speed be after it’s run in? I suspect 110 easy. Either that or the speedo is out. My NS speedo is pretty accurate but I was surprised how quickly the S1 got to 100. Up the hill to the top of Anzac Bridge the S1 was sitting just under 80 in medium traffic. I didn’t want to cane the top end as it had only 15k’s on the clock by now. Over the top and the S1 wanted to get back up to 100 but the traffic wouldn’t allow for it.

The S1 has got a dual braking system where the left hand brake operates both the front and back brake and the scooter stops really well. I turned around in the city and headed back across the bridge. Again the S1 rode well above the speed limit and hit over 100 again (for a few seconds) on the down hill run before I caught up with the traffic. It handled well at speed and was very competitive with the traffic. In fact the biggest problem for the S1 in traffic will probably be speeding. That and trying to figure whether I’d just keep on riding or return to the store.

Back through the back streets of Annandale the suspension felt a little hard but that really wasn’t a problem and you could either get used to it or adjust the suspension. I returned the scoot after only 10ks but I was impressed.

These are the things I didn’t like about the S1. The LED part of the instrument panel. (the fuel gauge indicator was so small I couldn’t read it without my glasses), the green winker indicators weren’t as bright as the NS and were hard to see in the sun. I like to put my feet back when I’m riding a scooter (from my motorcycle days I guess) and you can’t do this on the S1 and… and……… and….. I don’t like the fact that I haven’t got one.

The Daelim S1 is a tightly built and sporty 125 that has plenty uf pick up and punch. It is fuel injected, has double disc brakes, external fuel hatch, 13" wheels and great torque at the top end. It looks like a stealth fighter and is about $4000 + ORC and I reckon it delivers bang for your buck.

On my way home along Victoria Rd I’m thinking ‘If I was in the market for a 125 I would have bought the S1 today’, riding up the hill to Gladesville bridge I’m thinking ‘How many scooters can one person ride at once,’ looking across to western Sydney and to the mountains beyond I’m thinking ‘But then again if I was to buy another scoot I’d be looking at a 250.’ and heading down the hill as the speedo clips 110 and I think ‘Gee I like the sound of a Daelim at speed with a motor that’s run in.’ .And I’ve only just paid the NS off.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 07-26-2008 05:07 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Tongue Tied [:S] Re: Daelim S1 125

How do I get this pesky site to remember where I put in the paragraphs. I'm using safari? am I missing something?
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 07-26-2008 06:25 PM In reply to

Pete

This site editor does not support Safari properly.

The easiest way is to

type the following at the end of each paragraph without the spaces    < br >     < br >

a single   br with the < >  causes a line break,   two cause a line break and a blank line

OR

Install Mozilla Firefox v3 and use that instead of Safari

ciao

Deklan 

• 07-26-2008 07:02 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Thanks kiwiscooter. That fixed it.
  • 07-26-2008 07:17 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Great write up Pete.  It is good to hear from someone who has the NS and can tell us exactly what the new differences are.

Sounding like the new 125 at the top of the pile Big Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 07-28-2008 11:30 PM In reply to

Thanks for your review & efforts Pete Big Smile

That & the other review I read here http://www.scooterhq.com.au/ScooterReviews/tabid/4517/mid/5137/ctl/details/newsid/1857/Default.aspx

has convinced us to go ahead & we ordered 2 silver S1's from the Daelim distributors today (due to the lack of dealers here in Melbourne). Sadly the laziness of VicRoads it seems the earlist we can register them is Thursday next week Crying which is a bummer in that we have the scoots by this Thursday.

Wahoo ... I can't wait Party!!!

Brand Spankin new Daelim S1
  • 07-28-2008 11:49 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

kgb-agent:

http://www.scooterhq.com.au/ScooterReviews/tabid/4517/mid/5137/ctl/details/newsid/1857/Default.aspx

has convinced us to go ahead & we ordered 2 silver S1's from the Daelim distributors today

This is a top review from Brendon. Thanks and best of luck kgb agent. keep us in the loop as to how it pans out. enjoy enjoy enjoy!
  • 07-31-2008 09:26 PM In reply to

• philw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-20-2008
    • Posts 3

Had my S1 delivered to day and not disappointed. The build and finish are first class..it does look like a premium scoot. Compared to my NS125 it does have the same pick up, the torque is certainly evident, cornering more even and direct (possibly due to the bigger wheels), braking so easy and the sound of a bike rather than a scoot. It is not as wide at the front and the underseat is smaller but still closes with no space to spare ( a full face). The external fuel filler is a real plus.

The "Zip" is definately there and it feels like a more stable ride even if a little "chunky" with the different profile tyres to those on the NS125 but I guess this is because it only had 1km on it when delivered. I am really pleaded with the unit and I suppose that I will have to sell the NS 125 but am reluctant as it has been such a great scoot.......they relly look good side by side in the shed!

• 07-31-2008 11:00 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

philw:

.......they relly look good side by side in the shed!

Don't say that Deloris. I could easily be in the same situation. Especially after Brendon says the S1 could reach 120. That would solve all my highway urges but how could you sell a scoot like the NS? Damn this is feeling like an addiction! Maybe I should just sell the ute and buy an S1 and a Derbi GP1 too! Toot toot!
    By the way which bike do you think has the higher seat?
  • 08-01-2008 05:58 AM In reply to

philw:
    I am really pleaded with the unit and I suppose that I will have to sell the NS 125 but am reluctant as it has been such a great scoot..

It's great that you are "pleaded" with your new S1,  but don't you think your S1 deserves a companion in the shed......  I'm sure your NS would enjoy the company of the S1 too  Cool

Deklan 

• 08-01-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

petegailey:
    By the way which bike do you think has the higher seat?

NS 750mm

S1 770mm

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
Page 4 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au