ADVERTISEMENT

Scooter
Community

What is the most fuel efficient scooter (over 50cc)?

Last post 08-05-2008 05:23 PM by petegailey. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2008 12:36 PM

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

What is the most fuel efficient scooter (over 50cc)?

In the latest Scooter issue, the Vespa S 125 is claimed to have a consumption rate of 2.5L/100km, covering about 300km between refills.

What are other consumption rates of scooters over 50cc and the most fuel efficient scooter (other than electric, hybrid scooters)?

• 08-02-2008 12:55 PM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

Re: What is the most fuel efficient scooter (over 50cc)?

What the heck. Lets make it the most fuel efficient scooter overall - any capacity.

Then the best in each capacity: 50, 100, 125, 150, 200, 250, 400+

• 08-02-2008 02:17 PM In reply to

whats claimed and what you get are often very different

my cygnus should be one of the most efficient things out there, light weight efi... but 120kg rider and high speed riding see's it doing mid 3L/100km the same as my old sports city 250...

a 50kg person in the city may get 2L on it, but i ride with a heavy hand and *** so i get the same around town as hwy.

one thing scooters should have is an accurate speedo, an email from piaggio recently in response to one of my complaints said.... the sppeds is required to be accurate within 10% +4km/h meaning they can sell you a scoot that indicates 114/km/h @ 100km/h actual a 14% difference @ 100km/h ann more @ lower speeds... not acceptable if you ask me... its a magnetic pickup electronic speedo and could be 99.99% accurate but when im riding 60 indicated is 50 70 is 60 etc... drives me nuts!  most scoots are better though, the cygnus is almost spot on and my mates VS125 is spot on with the gps..

but it's not just the indicated speed thats out the odometer is out on most scoots too... it's exactly 19.4km on my work route on the cygnus but it's 20.8 on the Piaggio... so working out your economy from your odometer gives you a better than actual reading...

• 08-03-2008 09:05 AM In reply to

What andrew says about checking the accuracy of the speedo is true. You cant really figure out the fuel consumption of a scooter with all the variables, how are you on the throttle? How hilly is the terrain? How heavy are you? How accurate is your speedo? etc etc.
    You can check your speedo on the freeway with those 5x1K speedo checks. Do they have those in other states? My daelim has gone down from 29k/l to 26k/l in the six months since i bought it. I dont know if it's the scooter or the extra weight Ive put on since I dont ride the push bike or walk to the bus stop any more.
    From a previous thread on fuel consumption I was interested in the fact that the 250"s were returning about the same consumption as the 125's. Probably because you don't have to cane them as much.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 08-03-2008 01:00 PM In reply to

• Paul Jam
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Brisbane - Southside
    • Posts 124

I'm hoping to get a bit better fuel economy from my ns125 after it's 4000km service this week, as I've mentioned before Pete (will let you know if it makes a difference).  The best economy I've got was on my last run down the coast to the Scooter HQ run which was 29km/l (compared with average 25-26km/l), presumably because it is much less stop/start than my usual riding and I'd put in a tank of 95 ron fuel as well.  I thought 29km/l was ok until I read that mttttt had got 40km/l on the same run on his Cygnus 125 (non-efi model) using regular unleaded, and that Scott gets ~33-35km/l on his Agility while riding 'heavy handedly'.

PS Curto, what sort of fuel consumption were you getting from your NS125?
  • 08-03-2008 08:32 PM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

A Vectrix ?

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 08-04-2008 07:41 AM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

My first NS125 was the best performer from all my scooters getting an average of 30km/L.

Current NS125 gets about 25 - 28km/L

The Dealim site reads the average at 50km/L (but like its mentioned here, it depends on the terrain, speed and riding style)

• 08-04-2008 02:26 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Paul Jam:

and that Scott gets ~33-35km/l on his Agility while riding 'heavy handedly'.

I did not think people read my posts Stick out tongue

It always amazes me when dealers or manufacturers put up fuel economy figures.  I wish there was a standardised way of properly measuring the economy but realistically there isn't.  With the variables of rider weight, terrain, speed and city/highway as the easy things to standardise, it is a little hard with wind factor which, as we know can affect your speed by 10-15km/hr sometimes and would obviously affect economy.  There is also road type and to some extent even the size and width of the tyres to consider.

Far too many things that can vary it.  I think we sometimes just have to be happy with the simple fact that we are spending only one sixth of what a 4 cylinder cage is Big Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 08-04-2008 02:35 PM In reply to

Scott:
    I think we sometimes just have to be happy with the simple fact that we are spending only one sixth of what a 4 cylinder cage is Big Smile

So true Scott... Well said!

Jimbalaya!! 

• 08-04-2008 02:55 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

Scott:
    Far too many things that can vary it.  I think we sometimes just have to be happy with the simple fact that we are spending only one sixth of what a 4 cylinder cage

Too true Scott. Well said.

The more kms I do on my Piaggio X8 250ie, the more economical it gets. I've now done 9000km and it's nicely run in. I get about 30 - 33kms/litre.

I had Gelati 50 and that was awful on petrol... plus I had to keep topping up the oil... another extra cost. I think it was because I had to cane it hard so that it could perform the way I wanted it to.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 08-04-2008 04:15 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Pegasus:

The more kms I do on my Piaggio X8 250ie, the more economical it gets. I've now done 9000km and it's nicely run in. I get about 30 - 33kms/litre.

I had Gelati 50 and that was awful on petrol... plus I had to keep topping up the oil... another extra cost. I think it was because I had to cane it hard so that it could perform the way I wanted it to.

Exactly right Pegasus.  I just know that if I got a 250cc then my fuel consumption would stay around the same as I travel over several fairly hilly areas and the 250 would not work as hard as the 125. (As long as I just did not adjust my riding again and try and beat more cages Embarrassed)

One part of scooter selection that is often forgotten is route consideration if it is to be a regular commuter. Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 08-04-2008 04:24 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

Scott:
    One part of scooter selection that is often forgotten is route consideration if it is to be a regular commuter. Smile

The reason I bought the X8 was for commuting between home and work. I ride in speeds ranging from 50km/h to 80hm/h and there is only one real hill. I probably rarely use the full capacity but it's there when I need it... like last week when someone was cheeky enough to try and jump me at the lights.

My weekend rides into the hills is just an added bonus and it does those comfortably without an increase in the use of petrol.

I also think I get more respect on the road because I do ride a bigger scooter.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 08-04-2008 06:30 PM In reply to

Pegasus:
    I probably rarely use the full capacity but it's there when I need it... like last week when someone was cheeky enough to try and jump me at the lights.

Did you REALLY need to be able to burn that person off,  would it have hurt that much to have someone get the jump on you ??????

Pegasus:
    I also think I get more respect on the road because I do ride a bigger scooter.

I've never found riding a small engined scooter like my current Bandit makes much difference to the amount of respect I get from other road users.  In over 40 years of riding,  I've owned numerous motorbikes and scooters,  including 2 x 50cc,  1 x 65cc, 4 x 150cc, 1 x 225cc,  1 x 250cc, 1 x 750c,  1 x 900cc.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 08-04-2008 07:05 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

kiwiscoota:
    Did you REALLY need to be able to burn that person off,  would it have hurt that much to have someone get the jump on you ??????

I've thought about it and have decided I really didn't have much of a choice. I was in the left lane and the car in question was right on my hammer. I couldn't move into the right lane because there was a car there as well. And to be honest... I enjoyed doing it at time.

kiwiscoota:
    I've never found riding a small engined scooter like my current Bandit makes much difference to the amount of respect I get from other road users.

I've only ridden 2 scooters, a 50cc and a 250cc but I've already found that cagers seem to accept me more as an accepted member of the road than when I had the 50cc. I'm now given much more room, cagers stay further behind me and I find I don't get cagers trying to get ahead of me all the time by cutting cutting me off... except for the clown that tried it the other day.

You've probably realised from reading my other posts that I'm not a hoon. I'm all for safe riding and keeping to the road rules. Just occasionaly I get a rush of blood to the head.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 08-04-2008 07:33 PM In reply to

Pegasus:
    I've only ridden 2 scooters, a 50cc and a 250cc but I've already found that cagers seem to accept me more as an accepted member of the road than when I had the 50cc.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not trying to put you down.  

I wonder whether riders that start off with 50cc and then go to larger engined scooters feel less threatened because they have more power to be able to "get away" from cagers.  

In my case I learned to ride on a Yamaha 65cc Trail Bike but sold that after only 3 months (probably only 500km) because I could not get it to go up a hill that I really needed to go up twice a week,  I then bought a 225cc scooter as my "upgrade",  since then it's been an assortment of various engine sizes over the years.   What I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that I gained my confidence on larger engines so that when jumping on my first 50cc (last year), I was already a confident rider,  not overly concerned about what other road users were doing.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au