Scooter
Community

Licensing ? TURNING O

Last post 09-14-2008 12:07 PM by modern. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-08-2008 08:25 PM

• modern
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • VESPA ET2, 125 "S"
    • Posts 89

Licensing ? TURNING O

sorry...nuisance question I know....

Apparently here in WA the licensing test now requires a tight full turning circle. Does anybody know how TIGHT (IE: how small) that turning circle is?...I have been told 5.5 metres - which seems rather small to me.....ive tried it and it is a struggle...ive been riding a 50cc for two years and never had the need to do such a small circle....and its not that easy

Ive done figure 8s no problems, but apparently now its a full circle.

Anyone?

You goin to Brighton this weekend?
  • 09-08-2008 08:31 PM In reply to

Re: Licensing ? TURNING O

I'd heard it was 4m. 5.5m is marginally better. The best thing you can do is to get yourself down a local carpark. Start the circles big & as you become more comfortable you'll be able to start reducing the circle.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 09-08-2008 08:41 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Just practice practice practice, do all sorts of sizes, and slowly get smaller and smaller.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 09-08-2008 11:27 PM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

In SA, the turning box is roughly equivalent to two carpark spaces side-by-side. So it's easy to go to a convenient shopping centre and practice out-of-hours. The instructors should give you practice time and handy hints on doing it before the test anyway, if your setup is similar to ours. You need to be going fast enough to keep your balance, sit up high, turn your head right around  to see right behind you and turn. You would be surprised how tight you can make it.

• 09-09-2008 12:17 AM In reply to

• watto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Landsdale Perth
    • Posts 171

modern:
    Apparently here in WA the licensing test now requires a tight full turning circle.

Hi modern, I recently past my R test at the Joondalup Licencing Centre and the turning circle is not difficult to master.  Whilst they call it a circle or 'O' it is not exactly.  I was given both lanes in a side street in Joondalup and was able to use the entire road area and the turns were done approximately 6 meters apart.  Therefore you do one turn (using the entire road) have a 5 to 6 mt recovery distance and then another turn.  Very easy and over before you can even think about it. 

Things to remember.  When starting the exercise, Mirrors, Indicate, Look, and Over before puling away from the kerb.  Leave your indicator on right hand turn. Check your mirror and blind spot before starting your turns. When call in by the tester MILO left and and park.  Good luck.

Keep the round black things on the black stuff!
  • 09-09-2008 09:57 AM In reply to

Watto, exactly what I've been learning at the moment for my R-E license which I'm going for next week.

Where did the examiner take you exactly? The side street with the "T" end near the townhouses with carpark's on one side? I was wondering if it would be there or Neil Hawkins carpark (on a hill). The one on the street is dead easy. I actually didn't have problems with either location. It's not an actual circle, more of an oval like watto said with a few meters of "run-up/recovery" before each U-turn.

I find the U-turn's much easier on a manual scooter (the PX) than on an Auto one. clutch control!

Vespa PX200 "Killer Wasp" - now on a street near you
  • 09-09-2008 06:44 PM In reply to

it is usually between the curbs.do the milo and the indicator. it is a process of keeping the throttle on and adjusting your speed with the rear brake. that is if you are doing it on a scooter. for a bike i am of no use.

argentum melle
  • 09-09-2008 07:58 PM In reply to

• watto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Landsdale Perth
    • Posts 171

JimmyLee77:

Watto, exactly what I've been learning at the moment for my R-E license which I'm going for next week.

Good luck with your test next week James, hope the weather stays fine for you.

JimmyLee77:
    Where did the examiner take you exactly?

I have done three test in the last two year and the slow control has been tested in different places each time.  The test for my RE-A licence the SC was in a carpark adjacent to a large park in Broadmoore Garden, very simple, flat and smooth surface.  The second test for my R-A the SC control was done in Queensbury Road which I think is the street you are talking about near the townhouses, the emergency braking was also done in the same street.  When I did my R licence the examiner took me from the Licencing Centre in Boas Street straight across at the lights at Grand Bvd into McLarty and stopped the other side of Shenton street, near Curtin Uni, we did the emergency braking on McLarty Ave, then the slow control virtually opposite Queensbury Road.  they give you plenty of room to work in and if all goes well, which happened with me, you only have to do the turn twice.

I also found the slow control easier on the motorbike, riding against a little rear brake and controlling the speed with the clutch.  My X9 has intergrated brakes and having some front brake whilst doing slow turns took a bit to get used to.

Anyway hope you get your licence, and maybe next ride you will be on the PX

Keep the round black things on the black stuff!
  • 09-11-2008 08:17 PM In reply to

• modern
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • VESPA ET2, 125 "S"
    • Posts 89

I havnt actually had a lesson, I have however been practising.

Is it worth a lesson?

How 'finnicky' are the assessors?

I can 'ride' a scooter and have knowledge of general riding requirements...:)....

But what do I really need to show them...?

That Ive taken lessons?

I mean...I wouldnt have a clue what MILO is and I dont actually know the routine for the circles...I am slowly mastering the circles now though.

• 09-11-2008 08:51 PM In reply to

yes it's worth a lesson. The instructor could well pull you up on things which you yourself don't notice or realise.

I've heard that they're more so if they think you haven't had lessons.

Hmm you think so but there may well be rules & conditions which you don't know about yet as you haven't experienced it. I can imagine the 30+ year old I see regularly riding on the extreme left of the left lane on a dual carriageway could well say the same thing. But he obviously has no idea.

You need to show that you are a safe rider, have an understanding of road rules & can competently handle the bike.

Mirror

Indicate

Look

Over

I've got it down to LIMO, gotta work on it some more to make it MILO.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 09-11-2008 09:14 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Just make sure you add 3 teaspoons of MILO to every 500ml of milk

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 09-12-2008 06:37 PM In reply to

Modern - lessons are invaluable to helping pass your test.  I expect that your biggest problem with the turns is that you are looking down, not where you are meant to be going.  Look round and the scooter will turn with you! 

Secondly, yes, turning up for the test with an instructor lets the examiner that you've been trained.  Psychologically, you'll help put the assessor on your side - he knows that you aren't one of these self-taught know-alls.  The assessor wants to ensure that you aren't a liability to yourself and are safe on the road.  Your job is to assist him in that assessment.  There's nothing hard about the test - if you know what to expect and you've been practising appropriately.  A lesson or two is money (and most importantly elapsed time) well spent.  Just to give you some insight, from the customers who have done their tests with us (and the instructors we recommend) everyone (bar two) passed the first time. 

Additionally, a lesson before the test is useful because the instructor will help you to relax, and that's how you want to sit the test!

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 09-14-2008 12:07 PM In reply to

• modern
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • VESPA ET2, 125 "S"
    • Posts 89

looks like i will be booking in a lesson...Wink
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

ADVERTISEMENT