Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Dropped my scooter

Last post 09-15-2008 10:07 AM by miketl. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2008 03:38 PM

Dropped my scooter

Today i went to the Rider Safe place to practice u-turns for when i go to get my P's. and I found out that while i'll be fine doing u-turns to the right, trying to go to the left results in a dropped scooter.
    I think i turned too tight either too fast or too slow. the bike landed on my foot, but its fine, i didn't hurt myself or anything.

The scooter on the other hand suffered a bent left brake lever (it still works fine and my brother says its meant to bend on impact to keep from snapping or something?) and scratched up sides. It was also leaking oil but when Mum and my brother came, they said it had just tipped up out a bit. As it had stopped leaking by the time we got home they must be right.
    Anyway, tomorrow i'll take Saoirse (the scooter) into Show and Go tomorrow to have her checked over and to hopefully get the handle back to normal.
     So that was my very first experience at dropping my scooter and I hope to never do it again.

Oh and when i go for my p's i'm definitly riding one of their scooters

--------
    Bolwell VS125
  • 09-14-2008 04:05 PM In reply to

• birdy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-20-2008
    • melbourne
    • Posts 22

Re: Dropped my scooter

practice make perfect so don't be put off. good luck with getting your p

• 09-14-2008 04:18 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

It's easy enough to do, I have almost dropped mine a few times, but have been lucky enough to stop it in time.  At North Straddy yesterday, we were in the dirt and the scoot skidded a bit, so I stopped, and cracked up laughing so much I almost dropped it.  I dont think I would have kept laughing if I did!

Keep practicing

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 09-14-2008 05:24 PM In reply to

I have been riding for about, well i am 28 now, and started riding bikes when i was about 14, and I still feel more comfortable with right hand turns than left.

BUT WHY"D YA WANNA GO DO THAT FOR? hope ya didn't scratch it too much. it is a pain in the *** when things like that happen.

• 09-14-2008 05:38 PM In reply to

The rider safe place at Oaklands park has some fairly good scooters to use, aprilla i think was there when I did my L's. I'm going for my Ps soon too and have been too fearful of dropping my scooter when practicing my turning to try turning too tight, my scooter is too fat!

Don't worry paul at show n' go will have your scooter back on the road in no time.

gemely wouldn't mind riding on the back of Gregory Peck's scooter, but would prefer to race him on her own set of wheels
  • 09-14-2008 08:07 PM In reply to

good luck going for your p's,  i got mine last weekend, my instructor for my L course and P course said that you should turn you head to see where you want to go and the bike will follow, i gotta say i think its good advice, it workd great, oh and just my opinion but i would use your own scoot for the the test , you would be more familiar with it, and prob more confortable doing all the tests on it since you ride it regularly.

good luck and keep practicing your turning, Oh and dont forget to head check in the test!!!

Wants a B Bone!!!
    anyone got one they want to give me ... no .. really.... ok , well fine be that way...
  • 09-14-2008 10:14 PM In reply to

italjet torpy:

my instructor for my L course and P course said that you should turn you head to see where you want to go and the bike will follow,

Thats the problem, I had turned my head to see where i wanted to go, but I still fell. Stupidly put my foot down to late. I guess i'll just have to keep practicing (being more careful of course). Though it still seems impossible to turn the scooter as tightly as they want us too, but i guess if others have done it.

I'm hoping to be ready to do the test in 2 or 3 weeks (during uni holidays), but i think i'll need a lot more practice till then. I really am undecided about whether to use the Rider Safe scooter or not. I knowed i'd probably be more comfortable on mine but if i'm gonna drop it i'd rather it be theirs Wink

I guess i'll decide later.

--------
    Bolwell VS125
  • 09-15-2008 10:07 AM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Skoota_addict:
    I really am undecided about whether to use the Rider Safe scooter or not. I knowed i'd probably be more comfortable on mine but if i'm gonna drop it i'd rather it be theirs Wink

I did the test on my 200, complete with panniers and top box, mainly because I was more familiar with it's behaviour.  Having said that, I did drop it while practising the cone weaving which scratched one of the panniers.  Don't know about your test place, but you get a reimbursement of $60 for using your own scooter/bike.

Good luck for your test, whatever you choose.

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au