Scooter
Community

Yamaha Cygnus NXC 125

Last post 11-06-2008 08:08 AM by Khoa. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2008 11:12 AM

• Khoa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 52

Yamaha Cygnus NXC 125

The Cygnus is my first two wheeler.  It was bought brand new from Scoota City but is an old model, not the fuel injected 08 one.

I had been looking at scooters for a week or so before hand, but the buy itself was a bit impulsive.  I was after a reliable 125cc on a budget, with still being at uni and all, and was eyeing an Agility.  After doing my Ls and spending a few hours on a scooter, I decided to pop in to scoota city to have a squiz on the way home.  Next thing I know I'm negotiating a price, and placing a deposit...No complaints though, the Cygnus is exactly what I was after, a reliable 125 that I can commute into the city with (30k round trip).

I've had now done 750k so it is well on its way to being run in, and I feel its time for a review.

If there was a word to describe the Cygnus it would be "solid", its just a very well rounded scooter that does everything asked, but may not have the special x factor of the italians.

Handling:  Even from initial impression it felt very responsive, very chuckable, and I'm very comfortable weaving it in and out of traffic.  The 12 inch wheels also handles potholes adequately, when going over them I never feel unstable but I definitely do feel the jolts.

Acceleration: At the start I thought that initial take-off was a bit slow, but it pulls away well from 20 to 40.  As the engine has run in this area has definitely improved.  I have no problem getting away from traffic lights and it pulls away well until I ease up at 70.

Performance: I haven't really had a chance to fully test this out.  Have been reluctant to give it full throttle due to running the engine in, and riding mostly in peak hour traffic has not offered many opportunities.  It cruises comfortably up to 75-80 with a fair bit to go too.  Going uphill is the one area where I think it struggles a bit,  especially if I'm trying to accelerate.  However, this has improved the more distance I've done, and I'm hoping it continues to do so.

The other slightly annoying thing is that it does not like to iddle from cold.  Starting it I have to ride straight away for 15 secs or so then it will be fine, otherwise will just refuse to idle. 

Fuel Efficiency: Have only kept a rough estimation (in my head), but from a tank of 7.1l I seem to get around the 210km mark.  Will do a closer check next time I fill up.

Styling: Nice to look at, clean lines, modern looking.  Definitely does not attract attention like the vespas though.

Storage: Excellent underseat compartment, I fit my full face L easily and have room for some other stuff as well.

Overall: Very happy with it, has fulfilled my needs exactly.  I would describe the Cygnus as like the girl/guy next door.  Dependable and fun to be with, a first love perhaps.  Nothing like the passion that is involved with an Italian model though! 

Yamaha CygnusX (2006 model)
  • 10-11-2008 08:27 AM In reply to

Re: Yamaha Cygnus NXC 125

Congrats on your choice, the Cygnus is a great scoot,  and appears to be a very well put together machine.  I've ridden one and if I was looking for a new 125cc it would definitely be on my short list, together with Vespa, and Aprilia.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 10-11-2008 11:01 AM In reply to

• Ziggy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2008
    • Posts 7

Nice review Khoa. I have owned the fuel injected Cygnus for about a year now clocking up 8000km with a 60km round trip most days through the suburbs. The only fault I had was an annoying squeaky front wheel bearing which was fixed by my local dealer. All he did was add grease as apparently it had come out of the factory dry. Since then, no probs. The service reminder on the current model is a bit gimmicky. I reckon if you look after your scoot, you're not going to forget a service. Acceleration on mine is also slow initially until about 20 where it starts to take-off leaving the cars behind. Just stay clear of the freeways though. Happy scootering!

• 10-13-2008 12:17 PM In reply to

Thanks for the review Khoa. Looks like the Cygnus is a class above most 125cc scoots. Any further comment on how it handles at freeway speed ..say 95 - 100k. Ziggy - could you please elaborate on why the Cygnus should be kept away from freeways. I am in the market for a scoot for my wife who is a slim 5ft 5ins. Now and again we will do 10 - 15 k stints on the Eastern freeway here in Melbourne. My own SYM HD200 has the performance to ride safely on the freeway but as a new rider the impact of wind took some getting used to. The Givi screen improved stability and predictability a lot. And keeps the wind off me. Will the Cygnus be a fair match? Or are 16 inch wheels the go. Having said all this, the bulk of her riding will be within 10k of the CBD. And the features of the the new model Cygnus look compelling. It has a very positive review on the fantastic thescooterreview.com site emanating from NZ. Decisions decisions...
    Filed under:
  • 10-13-2008 03:02 PM In reply to

kiwiscoota:
    Congrats on your choice, the Cygnus is a great scoot,  and appears to be a very well put together machine.  I've ridden one and if I was looking for a new 125cc it would definitely be on my short list, together with Vespa, and Aprilia.

While its a good scoot it isn't in the same class as the Italian Vespa or Aprilia. A head to head competitor would be Daelim's superb S1.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-15-2008 06:58 PM In reply to

• Khoa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 52

Ziggy:

Nice review Khoa. I have owned the fuel injected Cygnus for about a year now clocking up 8000km with a 60km round trip most days through the suburbs. The only fault I had was an annoying squeaky front wheel bearing which was fixed by my local dealer. All he did was add grease as apparently it had come out of the factory dry. Since then, no probs. The service reminder on the current model is a bit gimmicky. I reckon if you look after your scoot, you're not going to forget a service. Acceleration on mine is also slow initially until about 20 where it starts to take-off leaving the cars behind. Just stay clear of the freeways though. Happy scootering!

Good to hear that you're enjoying a cygnus too!  I agree that anything except the freeway, this scooter is awesome.

I've done 900km now, taking it in to see Pete at E2W on Saturday for its first service.

• 10-15-2008 07:04 PM In reply to

• Khoa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 52

Nikko:
    Thanks for the review Khoa. Looks like the Cygnus is a class above most 125cc scoots. Any further comment on how it handles at freeway speed ..say 95 - 100k. Ziggy - could you please elaborate on why the Cygnus should be kept away from freeways. I am in the market for a scoot for my wife who is a slim 5ft 5ins. Now and again we will do 10 - 15 k stints on the Eastern freeway here in Melbourne. My own SYM HD200 has the performance to ride safely on the freeway but as a new rider the impact of wind took some getting used to. The Givi screen improved stability and predictability a lot. And keeps the wind off me. Will the Cygnus be a fair match? Or are 16 inch wheels the go. Having said all this, the bulk of her riding will be within 10k of the CBD. And the features of the the new model Cygnus look compelling. It has a very positive review on the fantastic thescooterreview.com site emanating from NZ. Decisions decisions...

I haven't ridden it much above 80km, as my route only has 60 zones and I'm a fair bit over it as it is.

I think it will be ok at 95-100, but this would be the top end of its speed.  With the scooter I think its essential to have the ability to go a bit over the speed limit to get away from the traffic when required, hence not wanting to take it on the freeway.

10-15km on the Eastern imo is not suited to any 125cc, and you should be looking at something a bit bigger.  Having said that, Andrewd on here had a Cygnus efi and he took it on the Eastern, hopefully he can give an opinion on what that was like.

For riding within 10km of the CBD though, its perfect!

• 10-15-2008 07:06 PM In reply to

• Khoa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 52

Scooter HQ:

kiwiscoota:

While its a good scoot it isn't in the same class as the Italian Vespa or Aprilia. A head to head competitor would be Daelim's superb S1.

Hey Brendan.  Can you tell me whats the different between the Cygnus/Daelim and the Italians.  Is it mainly with styling or do you find the Italians' performance superior as well?

• 10-15-2008 08:33 PM In reply to

andrewd had one yes and took it down al the freeways!

andrewd is also 115kg and it would EASILY sit @ 110km/h indicated (104 actual) on the freeway day and night..

i also took it up the spurs a couple of times and it was no worries... absolutley murders something like and espresso 150 (even though the espresso feels like its accelerating faster... its not)

beats the bolwell vs 125 everywhere down low midrange and up top... not to mention after a hard flogging starts 1st touch and uses less fuel! handles fantastic...

a clutch pipe and variator on it would make it awesome along with decent tyres..... that said i still ground off half the ctr stand from cornering..

mine was the late 07 model (the current shape) sold it with 6300 on it and rode it daily down the tulla no worries.

highly recommended

build quality was much much much much much better than on my new piaggio xevo and as god as my sc250, although that had lots of nice looking stainless bolts etc... but the aprilia plastics were carp... the piaggio has to be made in mexico by drunken fools... pull it apart and look closley, and even i do better wiring jobs...

the yamaha cygnus is made in taiwan...

ohh almost forgot did about 150km over a week or so on short trips 2 up, 200kg total weight of both fatties on it and yeah slow off the line derrrr, but still did 100km/h down bell st, and cruised on 80-90 easily... the bugger even kept up with the xevo400 till 40k's untill the 400 smokes it lol

• 10-15-2008 11:27 PM In reply to

• Khoa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 52

andrewd:

andrewd had one yes and took it down al the freeways!

andrewd is also 115kg and it would EASILY sit @ 110km/h indicated (104 actual) on the freeway day and night..

i also took it up the spurs a couple of times and it was no worries... absolutley murders something like and espresso 150 (even though the espresso feels like its accelerating faster... its not)

beats the bolwell vs 125 everywhere down low midrange and up top... not to mention after a hard flogging starts 1st touch and uses less fuel! handles fantastic...

a clutch pipe and variator on it would make it awesome along with decent tyres..... that said i still ground off half the ctr stand from cornering..

mine was the late 07 model (the current shape) sold it with 6300 on it and rode it daily down the tulla no worries.

highly recommended

build quality was much much much much much better than on my new piaggio xevo and as god as my sc250, although that had lots of nice looking stainless bolts etc... but the aprilia plastics were carp... the piaggio has to be made in mexico by drunken fools... pull it apart and look closley, and even i do better wiring jobs...

the yamaha cygnus is made in taiwan...

ohh almost forgot did about 150km over a week or so on short trips 2 up, 200kg total weight of both fatties on it and yeah slow off the line derrrr, but still did 100km/h down bell st, and cruised on 80-90 easily... the bugger even kept up with the xevo400 till 40k's untill the 400 smokes it lol

Yeah mate, yours sounded awesome, I was actually trying to get in touch with you to buy it at one stage. 

• 10-15-2008 11:31 PM In reply to

Thanks Andrewd. Interestingly the other two scoots in contention for my wife were the SYM Vs125 and the Bug Espresso. That the Cygnus is up to a bit of 100 kph work and its handling abilities, plus, to me it is the best looking beast and easy to move around means it will partner my larger SYM HD 200. And do it well. Thats a pretty mean ride up the Black Spur. Well done.

• 10-16-2008 11:37 AM In reply to

Khoa:
    Hey Brendan.  Can you tell me whats the different between the Cygnus/Daelim and the Italians.  Is it mainly with styling or do you find the Italians' performance superior as well?

Depends what you are comparing. In a nutshell the quality maybe similar but the actual componentry on the Italian stuff is generally superior. The Japanese built stuff which is generally over 250cc is top notch like the Italian stuff, if its under 250cc the scoots we see are often not made in Japan. (Taiwan, India, China) to confuse things even more both Yamaha & Honda have Italian built products in the line up like Aerox 50 & SH150i.

Then you have the Italian owned Brands (Piaggio group - Fly, Zip) manufacturing in China which is of equivalent quality to the better Taiwanese stuff. Then there is the Chinese owned Italian names (Lambretta/Benelli) which is something else again.

The Daelim S1 & Yamaha Cygnus are of similar quality but the Daelim is the technically superior scooter with 13" wheels front & rear V's 12" on the Yam, front & rear disc brakes v Disc/drum, the Awesome 4 valve EFI engine with proper oil filter V's 2 valve EFI. Yamaha has better storage & is available at more outlets.

If you compared both to say an Aprilia Sportcity/Derbi Rambla 125 you lose EFI & but gain liquid cooling. Proof of the pudding is in the eating with the Yamaha/  Daelim aircooled EFI engine produce around 8.5kw the Aprilia 11kw. Both the Yam & Daelim are nice handling scoots, the Aprilia brilliant.

I like the Cygnus it is a great scooter, either it or the Daelim makes a reliable, quick & efficient ride keeping a smile on the owners face. The Aprilia owner just has a bigger smile.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-18-2008 09:46 PM In reply to

Guess what. The Daelim S1 is available in Melbourne. Courtesy of TripleSMotors. The shipment is not due in till early November. And today my wife ordered the grey one. After talking with Brendon and Darcy from ScooterHQ I became convinced that pointing Deb to the Daelim S1 was the smart way to go. And as she loved the looks in the brochure (we only had the current one to look at and test ride), understood the technical advantages of it compared with the Cygnus, the decision was clear. David from TripleSMotors was great to buy from and is on a good thing with the Daelim. Looks like meeting demand will be his challenge. I also thank ScooterHQ for their advice and value their experience. Now the wait. And now to sell our ageing but still brilliant WRX.

• 11-06-2008 04:08 AM In reply to

• Clark9t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-02-2008
    • MIDDLESBROUGH
    • Posts 15

Hi i to have a cygnus i was wonderin if anybody out there knows a way to get a faster top speed, its a great 125 scooter but as ive stated before some 50cc scooter can hit near the 55-60 mark, somwthing just isnt right.

• 11-06-2008 08:08 AM In reply to

• Khoa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2008
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 52

Are you talking miles or km here?  Most 50s can do 50-60 kmh put your cygnus will do 50-60 mph. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au