Scooter
Community

Yikes! Safety on a scooter...

Last post 11-18-2008 09:08 PM by sissyhankshaw. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2008 10:56 PM

Yikes! Safety on a scooter...

I have just gotten really excited about possibly getting a scooter to drinve from Sydney's northern peninsula (Newport) to the city (about 30km each way) in peak hour 3 days a week (except when it is raining Tongue Tied)

I've had a friend - an experienced motorcycle rider - who has claimed he would never ride a bike in Sydney peak hour again after the way other drivers treat you. He reckons it is only a matter of time before I would get knocked off the bike and I would be better off on the bus.

Mind you, this guy won't let me walk 300m at night through a nice, beachside suburb from his wife's place to mine! He is more protective of me than my husband! So I'm not sure if he is just being a bit paternal and thinking that I am incapable of looking after myself!

I am planning to get a 125cc scooter, something reasonably substantial with a bit of speed and manouevrability (sp? it's late and I've been drinking wine...) so I thought I would be fairly safe. I'm not overly confident on the road so i certainly wouldn't be doing any daring, tricky moves!

Thanks in advance for all for your help!

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 11-07-2008 11:02 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: Yikes! Safety on a scooter...

Get licenced, get some training

Do you have a budget?

There are some amazing 125's out there at the moment, and you cannot go past the Aprilia range.  The new Sportcity One, is a great price, and a amazing scooter

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 11-07-2008 11:09 PM In reply to

The Aprilia is a bit out of my budget. I'm probably looking around $3-$4k. I've seen a couple of scooters that I really like the idea of (definitely going for a retro look!) but I'm a bit worried now about the safety issue. Then again I got a similar response from everyone when I bought my first snake...

Proud owner of Rita, an Aprilia Mojito 150 in powder blue and cream.
  • 11-08-2008 11:05 AM In reply to

sissyhankshaw:
    I've had a friend - an experienced motorcycle rider - who has claimed he would never ride a bike in Sydney peak hour again after the way other drivers treat you. He reckons it is only a matter of time before I would get knocked off the bike and I would be better off on the bus.

If it were like that no one would ride.. There are moron's & nice people on the road, training & common sense helps

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 11-08-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

The Aprilia Sportcity One 125 is under $4,000, you should check it out.

Piaggio Fly 125

Sym VS 125

Daelim NS 125

• 11-11-2008 09:21 AM In reply to

• WYSIWYG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney NSW
    • Posts 85

sissyhankshaw:

Mind you, this guy won't let me walk 300m at night through a nice, beachside suburb from his wife's place to mine! He is more protective of me than my husband! So I'm not sure if he is just being a bit paternal and thinking that I am incapable of looking after myself!

I am planning to get a 125cc scooter, something reasonably substantial with a bit of speed and manouevrability (sp? it's late and I've been drinking wine...) so I thought I would be fairly safe. I'm not overly confident on the road so i certainly wouldn't be doing any daring, tricky moves!

Welcome to the scooter scene...there are lots of great people here with plenty of experience and generous with their time and advice, so you've come to the right place.

I commute daily from the northern beaches to Pyrmont every day (25km each way) rain, hail or shine and I find it fun, safe and occasionally hair-raising.  I don't find it that scary or dangerous.  There are some moments when motorists (and note, I use the word motorists to include car drivers, motorcyclists and scooter riders) will do something stupid and endangers you...but if you're paying attention, you can anticipate most of the time and slow down.   I actually think it's safer on a scooter - the bus lane/transit lanes are relatively clear in the mornings and bus drivers are pretty good at giving you room.  I also don't filter or split lanes - you'll find that in the time that it takes a bus to stop, let on/off passengers, the traffic in the other lanes don't move any faster....so you lose all of seconds or a minute (if that) and you're off again.  I use that time to take stock of what the traffic's doing ahead and scan.  The key is to assume that you're invisible, don't be scared to stamp your authority by riding confidently (not aggressively) and taking the space that's legally yours (don't stick to the left hand side of your lane all the time or "motorists" will ride/drive through you)...and be courteous to everyone...let people in if they want to change lanes, don't speed up to cut them off, etc AND ride within your capabilities (sorry for all the 'ands'!).  The less stressed you are, the better you ride.  You'd be surprised at how much better you can anticipate traffic, spot gaps and plan your course through traffic when you're not busy speeding around, splitting lanes or filtering.  I'd rather arrive alive 5 minutes later than not arrive at all.

I could never figure out that if riding is so much fun, why people are in a rush?  I try to stay on my scooter as long as possible...and enjoy the ride.

Don't be scared of peak hour traffic.  If you have any questions about scooters, riding from the beaches etc, please feel free to ask.  Happy to share my experience/inexperience...and 'shadow' you in peak hour if you get a scooter.  

Good luck!

PS I ride a VS125 (SYM 125cc) which I find is great for the peak hour traffic.  It handles the Burnt Creek Bridge Bypass easily, the Roseville Bridge, Mona Vale Rd, Forest Way and even took it out west to Smithfield a couple of weeks ago, via the M4.  I can reach 100km/hr easily on the flat...and can ride up Roseville Bridge between 80-90km/hr.  I'm only short and light though...56kgs.

SYM VS125 (white)
  • 11-11-2008 09:25 AM In reply to

Well said WYSIWYG! Do you think it's time you started keeping a blog? A scooterists thoughts on safe commuting perhaps?

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 11-11-2008 09:30 AM In reply to

• WYSIWYG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney NSW
    • Posts 85

Thanks Scootachic!

I'd been thinking about joining the blogging craze...but could never figure out why anyone would want to read anything I have to say....and besides...who's got time to blog, when I'm having heaps of fun on my scooter? Stick out tongueWinkCoolBig Smile

SYM VS125 (white)
  • 11-11-2008 09:43 AM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

WYSIWYG:

sissyhankshaw:

The key is to assume that you're invisible, don't be scared to stamp your authority by riding confidently (not aggressively) and taking the space that's legally yours (don't stick to the left hand side of your lane all the time or "motorists" will ride/drive through you)

I, as a 50cc'er, as a general rule, usually take my legal space in the right car tyre track in 50 and 60k/h zones and keep right to the left in zones higher than 60.

• 11-11-2008 02:35 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Look lets not kid ourselves, sometimes riding a scooter can get hairy. Its a part of the deal. But you can do your rider training, learn to be careful, ride defensively, leave plenty of space between you and the traffic, use bus lanes, wear protective gear, take it easy and enjoy the ride.

I think that scootering is the closest thing to flying without leaving the ground. It puts a smile on my face, makes me want to get up in the morning and go to work, and makes me look forward to taking the long way home. I love the whole thing.

Living on the Northern Beaches is a great place to ride a scooter, Book in and get your L's, then go and check out some of the huge range of fantastic 125 commuters that are about.

ps Ive got a great little Daelim NS125 looking for a new home. 

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 11-11-2008 02:38 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

sissyhankshaw:
    The Aprilia is a bit out of my budget. I'm probably looking around $3-$4k

Aprilia ONE 125cc.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/caterpillar-dozer/SC_ONE.swf <p><a href="http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/caterpillar-dozer/SC_ONE.swf">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/caterpillar-dozer/SC_ONE.swf</a></p>

Top scoot for the money.

DOZER.
  • 11-11-2008 03:08 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Amazing scoot for the money!

• 11-11-2008 06:22 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

dozer.:
    Aprilia ONE 125cc.

I took one of these for a test ride the other day and it's a great little scoot, smaller in size than the Sportcity 125cc the Aprilia One is a very easy ride. It's great that there is another scoot in the 100-125cc class that is small and light, for petite riders.

I know that if it had been available a couple of months ago when I had to replace the Mio, I would have had one of these. It is as chuckable as the Mio but with much better ground clearance.

If this scoot is within your budget, find a dealer and take one for a spin, I highly recommend it.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 11-11-2008 07:07 PM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney
    • Posts 457

Hey Denni

How have you found your Mio? How long you had it? I'm thinking about a Mio or a Vino

I like the retro look.......

THE DREAM IS ALIVE!!! IT'S A VESPA AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's name is WOW
  • 11-11-2008 07:40 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Mio is the better option.