Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Scooter Posture

Last post 12-11-2008 06:30 PM by Dakoda. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2008 12:13 AM

• modern
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • VESPA ET2, 125 "S"
    • Posts 89

Scooter Posture

Ive had a right laugh recently at some scooter riders' postures on their machines....some sitting WAY BACK and leaning forward to hold the handle bars...some sitting all CROUCHED down....(as if on a toilet)....some pretending they are on a HARLEY.....how do you ride your scooter.....???? I sit forward and upright....I thinkthere is more control that way...and also you dont look like a complete NOBEAD> :0)

You goin to Brighton this weekend?
  • 12-06-2008 12:32 AM In reply to

Re: Scooter Posture

You've gotta love the "sit right back so you can get your feet up on the leg shield, yet leaning forward so you can reach the handlebars" look.  Very popular amongst the younger riders on their sports exhaust 50cc's! 

The style depends on the scoot.  The upright is perfect for the Vespa, the crouch forward is right for the Nexus, or Fuoco, and the easy rider is ideal for the Xevo.  I'd imagine all these looks would be even better with a ciggy hanging nonchalantly out the corner of one's mouth, but given that I gave up the weed a few years ago, I'd no longer know.   But its very clear that the correct posture is that which makes the rider feel as "cool" as possible. Cool

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-06-2008 10:27 AM In reply to

steve@ace:
    You've gotta love the "sit right back so you can get your feet up on the leg shield, yet leaning forward so you can reach the handlebars" look.  Very popular amongst the younger riders on their sports exhaust 50cc's! 

Big Smile - Always with crash marks around the edges of the nose cone.

You can explain the dynamics about weight distribution & the need to get some weight over the front wheel. Usual response "I'd look like a tool/dork/whatever sitting forward" I reckon they look like a tool sliding down the road on their ***. 

Its real simple - crashers sit back, cornerers sit forward.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 12-06-2008 11:06 AM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

Yeah - we'd noticed those tell-tale's as well.  And a trail bike helmet to finish the look.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-06-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Scooter HQ:

steve@ace:

You can explain the dynamics about weight distribution & the need to get some weight over the front wheel. Usual response "I'd look like a tool/dork/whatever sitting forward" I reckon they look like a tool sliding down the road on their ***. 

And what if you sit central?
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 12-06-2008 12:57 PM In reply to

On bends - I am forward and lean into the bend. On the freeway or at any speed over 80kph, crouched forward - weight up front. In slow moving traffic when I want to see whats ahead, a move back and up on the curve to the pillion seat, and with my back straight and head up I can see over the traffic as if I am in a SUV.
  • 12-06-2008 12:57 PM In reply to

• Dazzer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-20-2008
    • Sandgate,north brizzy
    • Posts 125

Scooter HQ:

I find on the work ride I move between the 2 positions depending on the road/area I'm travling on at the time

Long straights = sit back big grin and enjoy the moment !

Pot holed ,corners,alot of cagers = Upfront big grin and enjoy the moment !

There is another position but that involves left Hand gesters and button pushing and usuallty with no big grin 

Riding a Zip50 and a 250 virago
  • 12-06-2008 01:12 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

On the Sportcity I tend to sit more upright.  On the GP1 you find yourself bending over a bit more.  With a lot of the scoots, the seats can dictate how you sit.

• 12-06-2008 03:10 PM In reply to

• Squeeby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-13-2008
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 32

Haha I feel like a right knob now because I'm a youngster on a 50cc who often rides 'easy rider' and up until recently wore my MX helmet. If I'm in the twisties I'm usually eating my mirrors and have my feet on the pillion pegs. Regardless of how I ride I look like a tool though because I'm 6'3" :p I'm going to try out motard/leg out style next time I'm in the hills to see how it goes.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that there aren't any crash marks on the old Monza ;) I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I've gotten quite good at saving crashes. It's always an interesting experience landing back on the bike after stopping a highside :p

• 12-06-2008 03:35 PM In reply to

Squeeby:

Haha I feel like a right knob now because I'm a youngster on a 50cc who often rides 'easy rider' and up until recently wore my MX helmet. If I'm in the twisties I'm usually eating my mirrors and have my feet on the pillion pegs. Regardless of how I ride I look like a tool though because I'm 6'3" :p I'm going to try out motard/leg out style next time I'm in the hills to see how it goes.

Brilliant!  Thanks Squeeby - there's nothing like realising that you conform exactly to a stereotype!  Not like me, of course, there are no 40-something, balding Vespa riders out there, absolutely none at all. Hmm

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-06-2008 04:19 PM In reply to

steve@ace:
    there's nothing like realising that you conform exactly to a stereotype!

Almost - No crash marks on this one

steve@ace:
    Not like me, of course, there are no 40-something, balding Vespa riders out there, absolutely none at all. Hmm

Big Smile

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 12-07-2008 05:41 PM In reply to

• Squeeby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-13-2008
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 32

Problem solved: Went for a ride in the hills today and just out of curiousity started trying motard style instead of feet on pillion pegs, knee down. It's either because of better weight distribution (or some other physical factor) or because I'm more accustomed to this style of riding that the scoot seemed to handle a lot better. Anyway from now on I'm sitting central but I might switch back to my MX helmet :p

• 12-08-2008 08:05 AM In reply to

I have long arms so I sit back cos it is more comfortable, but I have been told I look like I am riding a motor bike and not a scooter.

• 12-08-2008 09:31 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

yeh im an upright and slightly forward type of rider and tend to lean with the corners unless im feeling lazy then its just straight upright. I have found myself though sometimes sitting at a level that suits my screen(crouching a bit and I dont notice it) size and maybe I need to go for a taller Denni style screen for the freeway journey

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-08-2008 09:38 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

allen:

yeh im an upright and slightly forward type of rider and tend to lean with the corners unless im feeling lazy then its just straight upright. I have found myself though sometimes sitting at a level that suits my screen(crouching a bit and I dont notice it) size and maybe I need to go for a taller Denni style screen for the freeway journey

I have the large Aprilia screen on all the time.  I have just moved it slightly forward (to stop me head banging it), and it lets a nice amount of air in without the head and chest thuds.  I will have to readjust it for the longer and freeway riding.  But I have to agree, the screen makes you sit back a little more, especially if you are like me, and with each bad bump etc you wack it!
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au