Scooter
Community

What happens when you take a visit to Peter Stevens?

Last post 12-09-2008 06:05 PM by petegailey. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2008 09:32 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Re: What happens when you take a visit to Peter Stevens?

steve@ace:
    "what will my mates think"

This is the main issue I reckon the what will people think of me. I have never come across anyone that hasnt ridden one and thought these things should be selling like crazy. I was probably one of the people that thought they should have been selling in amazing numbers and they would bring a new different rider to the scooter market but I was partly wrong and this is taking time. I underestimated the perception people have about what others think of them. 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-09-2008 10:24 AM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

allen:

steve@ace:
    "what will my mates think"

This is the main issue I reckon the what will people think of me. I have never come across anyone that hasnt ridden one and thought these things should be selling like crazy. I was probably one of the people that thought they should have been selling in amazing numbers and they would bring a new different rider to the scooter market but I was partly wrong and this is taking time. I underestimated the perception people have about what others think of them. 

I think part of the issue is price.  From what I see, most scooter buyers are rather price sensitive, and those that aren't tend to just buy Vespas anyway as it is more about show than anything else. 

2009 Honda DN-01 pseudo scooter
  • 12-09-2008 10:28 AM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

allen:
    I remember when you were getting yours and you were not sure, have you grown fond of the Mp3 WAY? 

I love my MP3 400.  However after visiting the Melbourne bike show, I regretted not going for the Fuoco instead.  I'm over that now after repeatedly stuffing big loads of groceries in the MP3 which I would never be able to do on the Fuoco.  I will just have to wait for Piaggio to release the 850 version (rumoured) and hope they bring it to Australia! Yes

• 12-09-2008 11:46 AM In reply to

WAY:

I think part of the issue is price.  From what I see, most scooter buyers are rather price sensitive, and those that aren't tend to just buy Vespas anyway as it is more about show than anything else. 

Part of the issue is of course price, but unless people are academically challenged, it should be obvious that this type of technology costs a bob or two.  And whilst image is a part of owning a Vespa, its by no means the only thing, as most of the Vespa riders here will very quickly tell you.   Vespa's are far more than just a pretty face!

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-09-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

Oh, and if scooter riders are price sensitive, then why is the MP3 the third biggest selling scooter in France? 

But since scooters in general are still a fairly new product in Australia, the general perception is that people buy them solely to save money, and hence they should be cheap (eg all scooters are 50cc ergo they should all cost $2000).  The "I could buy a small car for that amount of money" is still significant (though decreasing).  The fact that many motorbikes are the price of an average sedan, doesn't matter so much because that market is more mature and the motorcycle buying public doesn't flinch at such prices.  In a more mature scooter market (as in Europe), a larger proportion of riders are buying their 3rd, 4th, 5th scooter, and for them price is less of an issue compared to useability, quality, dependability etc.  They've already determined that owning/riding a scooter, no matter how expensive, makes more sense than driving a car or using public transport.

The MP3 and Fuoco are just great machines, and they will take off in Aus.  But it might take a little time.  If you look at the stats (and what the long term members of this forum are riding compared to what they were riding 2 to 3 years ago) there has been a significant shift toward larger machines and the more expensive end of the market - although the low cost end still predominates overall, which is to be expected given that the markets growth is still being largely fuelled by new entrants.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-09-2008 12:31 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Spot on there Steve.  Yes, a new small car doesn't cost much more than an MP3 400 but with the MP3, I don't get stuck in as much traffic, still get free parking out the front of any door in Victoria and still have the safety of two wheels up front (not that I can't ride).

This is my 5th scooter and like always, wont be my last.  The price is no longer an option in my purchasing decision, other factors now come into play.  The scooter these days, especially the larger models, have the convenience of two-wheeled transport with the versatility of a small car.  As the scootering public in Australia start to mature, we will see a more Eurpoean adoption of scooter products.

Now if only we could get governments upto speed on the issue.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 12-09-2008 01:37 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

steve@ace:

WAY:

Part of the issue is of course price, but unless people are academically challenged, it should be obvious that this type of technology costs a bob or two.  And whilst image is a part of owning a Vespa, its by no means the only thing, as most of the Vespa riders here will very quickly tell you.   Vespa's are far more than just a pretty face!

About Vespa riders - you are reading what I am saying wrongly.  I am saying that people who are image conscious will buy a Vespa to ride to the cafe on Lygon St (Italian town in Melbourne), but I am not saying all Vespa owners buy it for the image!  Heck, I would like to have a 300 super myself!

• 12-09-2008 01:50 PM In reply to

• WAY
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-23-2007
    • Posts 399

First of all we are very different from Europe geographically.  Most people here will not buy a scooter as they are limited by the distance they can travel (ok this is only a perception and not real especially with the larger scooters), unlike in Eoropean cities where the density is much higher.  Most people are buying scooter these days because it is cheaper to go to work in than driving or taking the train.  I based my comment that scooter buyers are price sensitive on the 2 scooters I have had.  My Aprilia SR50 factory used to attract a lot of attention of city workers and other scooter owners.  When they find out that this little 50cc scooter cost over $5k on the road, no one I have ever spoken to has said that oh, but it has massive disc brakes with a very economical orbital engine and handles like no other small scooter so it is ok to spend $5k on a 50cc.  Nope, everyone's comments is always more along the line of wow, that's a lot of money for a little scooter.  Likewise with my MP3.  I have literally had many people stopping me (including 2 cars so far who followed me on the road so they can ask my experience of it!) to chat to me about it.  And the conversation is always very lively and the prospective owners are always very keen until it comes to the price point.  Then suddenly they aren't that interested anymore.  I can tell you at least 10 people who have had that reaction.

steve@ace:

Oh, and if scooter riders are price sensitive, then why is the MP3 the third biggest selling scooter in France? 

But since scooters in general are still a fairly new product in Australia, the general perception is that people buy them solely to save money, and hence they should be cheap (eg all scooters are 50cc ergo they should all cost $2000).  The "I could buy a small car for that amount of money" is still significant (though decreasing).  The fact that many motorbikes are the price of an average sedan, doesn't matter so much because that market is more mature and the motorcycle buying public doesn't flinch at such prices.  In a more mature scooter market (as in Europe), a larger proportion of riders are buying their 3rd, 4th, 5th scooter, and for them price is less of an issue compared to useability, quality, dependability etc.  They've already determined that owning/riding a scooter, no matter how expensive, makes more sense than driving a car or using public transport.

The MP3 and Fuoco are just great machines, and they will take off in Aus.  But it might take a little time.  If you look at the stats (and what the long term members of this forum are riding compared to what they were riding 2 to 3 years ago) there has been a significant shift toward larger machines and the more expensive end of the market - although the low cost end still predominates overall, which is to be expected given that the markets growth is still being largely fuelled by new entrants.

• 12-09-2008 03:40 PM In reply to

Yeah - I entirely agree with you.  For non riders, both your rides would seem a lot of money.  But that's because the average consumer is bombarded with ads for cheap scooters, and their perception is clouded.  You and I know that the SR50 is a diamond scoot, and well worth the cash, but like the MP3, neither are likely to be first time purchases for most scooter riders.  More's the pity - because starting off on a good scoot can be the difference to staying a scooter rider and giving it up.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-09-2008 06:03 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

The bride stripped bare at the motorcycle show

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 12-09-2008 06:05 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

The drive belt on an MP3
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au