Scooter
Community

Fuel and Oil for 50cc 2-stroke?

Last post 07-13-2009 01:40 AM by pyrah. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2009 12:05 PM

Fuel and Oil for 50cc 2-stroke?

At its most basic, would I fill up on 'normal' unleaded from the bowser?

As for oil, what's a good quality/brand off-the shelf type to get?

Pretty basic stuff, I grant you, but I'm a pretty basic sort of chap Embarrassed

Thanks for your understanding.

• 01-10-2009 02:33 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: Fuel and Oil for 50cc 2-stroke?

Your manual will tell you the advised fuel to use in your scooter.  Most 50cc's will run unleaded.

As for oil I used to use Motul for Scooters in my 50cc, or Fuchs for Scooters.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 01-10-2009 02:42 PM In reply to

Dakoda:

Your manual will tell you the advised fuel to use in your scooter.  Most 50cc's will run unleaded.

As for oil I used to use Motul for Scooters in my 50cc, or Fuchs for Scooters.

Much appreciated Yes

• 01-10-2009 05:32 PM In reply to

I used to find my 50cc 2 stroke started more easily on Premium fuel,  other than easier starting, I don't think it made much difference, when you consider how little extra the total cost of using Premium in a scooter is,  cost is not a consideration.

As for oil I used either Motul or Shell Helix,   just make sure you buy oil for a 2 stroke motorcycle/scooter.  The better 2T oils are low fume and if I understand the matter correctly, a low fume oil aside from producing less smoke,  will not clog up your exhaust as much.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 01-10-2009 06:15 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

The Fuchs for Scooters was supposed to be low smoke.  But I never noticed any difference.  In regards to premium fuel, I only used it in my 2 Stroke Bee Wee from time to time.  If there was any difference, it wasn't big enough for me to notice.

• 01-11-2009 08:24 PM In reply to

Unless pinging is an issue you get no benefit from a higher octane fuel. Premium or higher octane fuels control combustion better and resist pre-detonation or pinging. For most stock scooters regular unleaded should be fine but go with what your manual recommends. I like Valvoline synthetic marine 2 stroke oil. I picked up a 5 litre container for $25 from K Mart which is about as good value as you'll get. You can pay up to and beyond $20 a litre for synth 2 stroke.
  • 01-12-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

Use any fuel you like(you wont notice the diff).

Use only "scooter oil" for your scoot(there is a differance in how it performs)as there is many reasons why, The scoot oils ARE designed for special things like oil injection and the addetives in the oil will be speific to the aplication. Your scooter will thank you(and your wallet) in the long run.

• 01-12-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

If you are gonna make claims like this then how about supporting them with some evidence? Most 2 strokes have oil injection these days so that's not a scooter specific attribute. Additives specific to the application? It's a two stroke engine ffs.... How does a 2T engine in a scoot difffer from one in a bike or a boat? Without any supporting evidence, special "scooter oil" is just marketing BS. And you parroting marketing BS is what leads to misinformation which I am sure you'll agree is undesirable.

• 01-12-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Well what are your claims of benefit for putting Marine Oil into a scooter?

• 01-12-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Any motorcycle 2-stroke oil will be sufficient as long as it is designed for oil injection application and is not a pre-mix (pre-mix oils are thicker and are hard on injection pumps).

91 RON is sufficient for scoots.  Some PULP have additivies and foul plugs slightly quicker over time.  However, any unleaded will be fine for all on-board pollution gear.

Daks, all oils these days including FIM approved oils are JASO FC compliant and as such are low smoke.  Gardening equipment 2-stoke oil is not and as such should not be used in on-road scooters as fouling of the pollution gear will occure.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 01-12-2009 01:41 PM In reply to

Innocenti69:

If you are gonna make claims like this then how about supporting them with some evidence? Most 2 strokes have oil injection these days so that's not a scooter specific attribute. Additives specific to the application? It's a two stroke engine ffs.... How does a 2T engine in a scoot difffer from one in a bike or a boat? Without any supporting evidence, special "scooter oil" is just marketing BS. And you parroting marketing BS is what leads to misinformation which I am sure you'll agree is undesirable.

All I will say is IT DOSE MAKE A DIFF...

Feel free to use Marine oil If you want but my OPINION as most trained tech's(some one that knows)is to NOT use a non speified oil( of course if you wont to save money now and then spend it on rebuilds/blocked pipes etc.later then go ahead.I've only been doing this for 15 years so there may be somthing I don't know)

• 01-12-2009 02:18 PM In reply to

Dakoda:

Well what are your claims of benefit for putting Marine Oil into a scooter?

It's as good as anything else and it is cheap. That is all.

You see, I am not making any unsupported claims that a non-scooter-specific two stroke oil will cause you issues with rebuilds or blocked exhausts.... If I was gonna do that I would present some EVIDENCE to support the claim.

• 01-12-2009 02:26 PM In reply to

Service@SelectScootas:

Innocenti69:

All I will say is IT DOSE MAKE A DIFF...

Feel free to use Marine oil If you want but my OPINION as most trained tech's(some one that knows)is to NOT use a non speified oil( of course if you wont to save money now and then spend it on rebuilds/blocked pipes etc.later then go ahead.I've only been doing this for 15 years so there may be somthing I don't know)

I gather from your handle that you are a professional, ie. you take money for servicing other ppl's scoots?

So.... Where's the evidence? Even if you had only anecdotal evidence I'd be prepared to accept that. But all you got is an "OPINION"? And you're a "trained tech"? WTF does that mean? You've been to TAFE? Newsflash, TAFE trained mechanics aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. I have seen plenty of evidence of that from when I used to trust them to work on my scooters. I no longer let dealers or their mechanics touch my bikes because in my limited experience they neither know what they are doing nor do quality work. Most of them are butchers again, in my limited (anecdotal) experience.

If you want to make assertions and build credibility I suggest you substantiate your assertions with facts or evidence from reputable sources. Noone gives a sh1t about some two bit mechanic's "OPINION"....

• 01-12-2009 02:55 PM In reply to

Innocenti69:

I gather from your handle that you are a professional, ie. you take money for servicing other ppl's scoots?

But all you got is an "OPINION"? And you're a "trained tech"? WTF does that mean? You've been to TAFE? Newsflash, TAFE trained mechanics aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.                                    

in my limited (anecdotal) experience.

If you want to make assertions and build credibility I suggest you substantiate your assertions with facts or evidence from reputable sources. Noone gives a sh1t about some two bit mechanic's "OPINION"....

Unfortunatly you are letting yourself look a little silly. No I do not service scooters or take money for it (anymore) as I work for an Importer.

If you need proof  feel free to have a look at some other post's and you can make up your own mind.

As to my credibility I think that my "Handle" speak's for it's self.

Yes I did go to Tafe.I also was trained by BMW and also have been to more service schools than you have had hot dinners, oh and there's the years working in the industry.

I tend to only give advise when know what I'm on about and not what I guess is O.K.

So if your are by chance a oil expert. I Stand corrected ( Marine oil may just work in everything?, But the truth is IT DOSE NOT)

• 01-12-2009 03:10 PM In reply to

Service@SelectScootas:

So if your are by chance a oil expert. I Stand corrected ( Marine oil may just work in everything?, But the truth is IT DOSE NOT)

You don't know what evidence is do you?

If you are prepared to provide some evidence that synthetic marine two stroke oil is not suitable for scooters then I will stand corrected. If you are not prepared to find and post any evidence then you may as well STFU. 

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au