Scooter
Community

Fuel and Oil for 50cc 2-stroke?

Last post 07-13-2009 01:40 AM by pyrah. 56 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2009 11:03 AM In reply to

• eel
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-12-2007
    • Posts 35

Re: Fuel and Oil for 50cc 2-stroke?

From a marine mechanics point of view, I wouldn't run outboard oil in anything thats not cooled by the ocean. 

most marine engines are larger swept volume than scoots and run under relatively high load at lower rpm. Most outboards have a reccommended full throttle rpm  between 4500 and 5500rpm. They are also cooled by cold water from the sea. Mean piston speeds are lower and exhaust ports are WAY cooler thus requiring a different formulation of oil. the tcw3 outboard oils have corrosion inhibitors that are quite temp sensitive and can do wierd stuff if pushed beyond their comfort zone. Outboard oil also has a high degree of biodegradability and cannot utilise some very effective additives so the little fishies don't get erection problems.

These little scooter engines actually have quite a hard life compared to a big lazy outboard, Revving their *** off all day at or near WOT trying to make enough herbs to propell some fat bugger around town on his 50cc scoot. Bike oil is formulated to offer more protection at higher temps and revs than tcw3 oils.

Bombardier (seadoo) does not reccommend tcw3 oils in their rotax 2stroke engines because of the higher piston temps they run. They used to reccommend bike oil until they figured they can make more moula by pushing their $100+ for 4 litres XP-s oil, wich is a semi synthetic bike oil made by Castrol.

When I build marine race engines, I prefer to run a full synthetic polyoester based BIKE OIL as the engine is making more specific power at a higher rpm and temp, just like a bike engine!

• 01-26-2009 08:03 AM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

Service@SelectScootas:

waxhead:

in fact if you run more  oil you will actually make more power as it tends to seal up the engines

More oil = less power

to little oil = melt down.

KTM even have to run there bike's 60:1 (so they pass emissions), The up side is the rebuilds every couple of weeks

You would think so wouldnt you

Have a read of this article where they dyno engines with different oil ratios

It was done by gordon jennings so you know its a good article

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/documents/oilpremix6.pdf

• 01-26-2009 08:14 AM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

here is an interesting article on testing different oils in a ultalight

they want the best in those because they have trouble pulling to the side of the road in the air

http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

• 01-27-2009 09:21 AM In reply to

Interesting reading.  From the same page How Oil Works

Would have been good if they tested a broader range well-known oils.

Rob   Geeked

• 06-30-2009 09:05 PM In reply to

Anonymous:

You're probably right about different "formulation".

oils aint oils.

simple and bad grammar.

♥Jrazik out...
    clik
  • 07-01-2009 10:29 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 844

Well that thread was a waste of time and the original question was not really answered.  Ot if there was an answer it was critisized by some brainiac who could spell.

Ordinary unleaded is fine for most standard two stroke scooters.  I use Shell synthetic modified (I think its labeled SX2) which has been fine on all my twostrokes.  I do about 15,000km a year so if the oile was crap I would have figured it out by now.

Don't change types of oil, if you can stay with one oil there is a better chance of a long life from your engine.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-09-2009 04:53 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

Thanks INMA for finally giving an answer and not a war of words.  (although to nameless poster & select - thanks for the giggles)  Glad I read thru the whole lot.

I have been using Shell Advance 2T oil and either Shell or BP premium fuel in my two stroke Bali.  With the choice of paying $18/ltr for 'scooter' oil or $37/4lts of motorcycle oil, well, sounds like 'marketing' hype to me.

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 07-10-2009 09:54 AM In reply to

Shell SX2 is what we use on 2 stroke scooters, seems to burn better than the more expensive VSX2 in aircooled 2 strokes like yours. It's only available from motorcycle/scooters shops. RRP is $14.95 for 1ltr.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 07-10-2009 05:13 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

having posted the above about the BP or Shell fuel. I did put in Caltex Vortex  on the run to and from HQ today. Wow, like riding a different scoot!!!  I think I might switch.

Unless the Bali got worried about me testriding that Derbi and decided to give me a better performance!!!

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 07-11-2009 08:41 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

t2bitha:

having posted the above about the BP or Shell fuel. I did put in Caltex Vortex  on the run to and from HQ today. Wow, like riding a different scoot!!!  I think I might switch.

Unless the Bali got worried about me testriding that Derbi and decided to give me a better performance!!!

The winds on the way down were what i think slowed you down, and they would have switched for the way home. Or maybe it was because of all the Dash spray, and made your bike faster :)  I think Bali might have overheard us talking about the other scooters (and the one next to it), and thought maybe he had better pick up his game :)

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 07-12-2009 07:20 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 844

Just a comment about different standard unleaded fuels here in Victoria and the story is similar interstate.

All standard unleaded fuel in Victoria either comes from the refinery at Geelong or from overseas, mostly Malasia.

Depending on bulk supply issues all garges take wholesale fuel from either supply, hence the unleaded you get in Shell, BP, Caltex etc. is from the same sources.

When I had a car that was sensitive to fuel I bought from an independant garage that always bought from the overseas supplier, the quality was noticibly better in that engine.  For my humble scooter anything does fine.

Loyalty to BP, Shell etc.  is just proof of successful advertising.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-13-2009 01:40 AM In reply to

I use any unleaded petrol available the only petrol i refuse to buy is the stuff with ethanol in it .

Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au