Scooter
Community

Maxi as an all rounder

Last post 03-18-2009 02:24 PM by adamtassell. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-20-2009 11:42 AM

Maxi as an all rounder

Been thinking about a maxi for a while but seeing a guy ride out of a motorcycle store yesterday on a brand new Suzuki Burgman yesterday made me (completely jealous and) want a maxi even more.

I've had a GT200 and a GS500 (bike) for a long time and although they've been a good combo I'm finding myself drawn to these larger scooters.

My real concern is if they can truly make a great all rounder IE good for work and a fun weekend ride. The GT is great in town and I'm concerned a larger scooter will not be as easy to get around traffic, conversly does the transmission and weight of these scooters make them a bit boring when heading out for a long run on the weekend. I did use the GT for a longer run to the Blue Mountains once from Sydney but can't say it felt the best.

I've considered some other options like the Mana but to be honest too expensive for me (wouldn't want to spend more than $10K) and really lacks the storage I'd want. Be interested to hear thoughts on the above most importantly, but feel free to make some suggestions if you think there is a standout.

• 01-20-2009 01:52 PM In reply to

Re: Maxi as an all rounder

Hey Robbie 55

I have a Burgman 650 Maxi and love it I ride 50 k round trip to work and back everyday and I do work in the city

I have never had any problems with riding in the city and more than enough power on the Highways.  Burgman features the Automatic trans or

you can shift in with the electronic shift program 5 + overdriveI get approx 17.5 klm per ltr on the Highway and city combined

I don't think you would make a bad choice in purchasing a Burgman however if money is not a issue and performance and comfort is

then Burgman is a real smart choice

I would rather be riding my bike thinking about God Than in Church thinking about my Motorcycle

Suzuki C50 800cc
    Lethbridgeroadcrew.com
    http://www.lethbridgehonda.com/home/
    Alberta Canada
  • 01-20-2009 05:00 PM In reply to

• ross
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2009
    • Posts 12

My Majesty is fine in the city with plenty of power to avoid situations. You can't lift or push them as you might a 50cc scoot but that is not a problem. In the country they are fun and smooth with plenty of speed--after all they are a "cruiser".

Ross

• 01-20-2009 09:53 PM In reply to

do it, maxis are great around town, you can go to the shops grab a few days worth of stuff and cram it in with your riding gear etc... then you can also take on all the cars easily, a burg 400 should do 0-100km/h just under 10 sec and go all the way to 160km/h the burgman is more cruiser type luxury, i had an xevo 400 speedo needle easily saw 180km/h indicated! LOL 160km/h actual and easlily sat there for ages it handles quite well, although didnt feel as chuckable in the tight twisties i regulary hit... although a quick look at the speedo says otherwise i've had a s/c 250 and the xevo and the xevo was far better than the sc 250.... and recently i have made a choice between a nexus and super300 and nexus it was... tip here though if you have had bikes, go something like the tmax silverwing etc... something thats going to have the balls and you'll have a great time
  • 01-20-2009 11:38 PM In reply to

Hi Robbie,

If you care to read my Scarabeo 500 review in the review section of this site you will find further support for viewing a maxi-scooter as a really good all rounder:  functional & fun.

Mack Truck
  • 01-25-2009 08:26 PM In reply to

• Kiwiscoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-18-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 175

You may want to have a look at the Sym Citycom 300i. I use mine in the city to work and back and use it for fun runs on the weekend. Did a 100km run on our mountain penisula roads this afternoon. Real fun and I get 30km/l fuel consumption with 75% city and 25% country riding, which I'm very happy with.

Kiwiscoot
    2008 Xingyue XY150T-5100kms of fun. Gone.
    2008 SYM Citycom 300i 47000+kms, was a blast!! Sold now
    2006 Vespa GTS250ie
    In the market need scoot will do 190kph, 3l/100km, 20 000km service intervals,under $10 000, dual purpose to explore back country - where is it?! sigh!
  • 01-26-2009 09:01 AM In reply to

I will offer a dissenting view: all rounder will never be as good at anything as something designed specifically for the task at hand. This is true for any tool, it is true for motorcycles and it is true for scooters. To be nimble in traffic the vehicle (any vehicle) needs to be small. To be stable at speed, it needs to be larger and heavier - there is no way to reconcile the two. OR rather, there are ways, of course and it is possible to have a machine that will do both reasonably well. But you already have the ideal solution: small scooter for the city and larger bike for longer rides.

• 01-26-2009 02:22 PM In reply to

But if he was convinced he already had the ideal solution, he wouldn't be posting here.

Mack Truck
  • 01-27-2009 07:49 AM In reply to

To Robbie 55 from Rolly 56. I ride a Silverwing Honda that I purchaced in june 08.I ride 30kms round trip to work every day. Went to Qld last November. Very comfortable.Fuel consumption was good. Around 240 klms on 9 liters. Rode home in one go. 15 hours to do 1090 klms. Done over 9000klms now and runs like a train. Very quick for a scooter. Doesnt handle too bad either. Excellent lights and storage. Highly recommended by this 52 year old fossil.

• 01-27-2009 08:52 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

I do agree with what ferrix (i think) said, it is hard for one machine to do more than what it is designed or to do it better than what a specific machine is designed for but although I love my scooter and bike having the two does also have its drawbacks. The cost firstly is somewhat excessive especially when I don't use the bike everyday, paying for rego and insurance for a full year when its only used generally on the weekend is not ideal, also I sometimes want to take off straight from work, I have flexible hours and it would be easy for me to head out of town at 12 on a friday, but having to go home and change bikes means I often get home and then feel I should do something else. Also I'm not a young hoon so although I appreciate what the bike can offer I don't need to have a rocket underneath me I just need something with enough oomph to make a long 110kmh run without feeling like I'm pushing the machine to its limit the whole time and can handle well.

The maxi appeared as a good fit for me to cover both of these bases and it appears many on here have found that as well. I have taken the Fuoco, Mp3's, Xevo and X8 for a test ride in the past but it was on a weekend so although I think they ride well, I didn't really get the chance to test it in real traffic or of course at higher speeds. I do prefer the look of these scooters but for some reason think the Suzuki's (and honda's) are more robust, I will check out the Sym's as well and pretty much all of them before deciding.

A bike does perform well on these longer rides and I think that is something that I would be unlikely to be able to test (a scooter) in full unless I can hire one first, so its good to hear what others have experienced, especially if they've ridden bikes in the past.

Thanks again for the replies.

• 01-27-2009 12:39 PM In reply to

robbie55:
    A bike does perform well on these longer rides and I think that is something that I would be unlikely to be able to test (a scooter) in full unless I can hire one first, so its good to hear what others have experienced, especially if they've ridden bikes in the past.

Personally I find the bigger Maxi's a bit bulky around town. Things like Silverwing, Tmax & Hamburger are great machines, only critique is the pure size, if you are OK with that then what a scoot they are. Check out what owners say about them - always positive. Personally I'm not a big maxi fan due to where & how I ride, but I do appreciate them from an enginerring point of view & what they are about. If I had a Maxi it would look like one of those Japanese ones.

Things like Aprilia Scarabeo 250 (500 in your case) & Piaggio Beverly (Pretend its called something else)  have good storage, big wheels, very capable & are still small enough to be good around town. Being a bike rider more than likely you will want more than 250cc on the open road.

robbie55:
    also I sometimes want to take off straight from work, I have flexible hours and it would be easy for me to head out of town at 12 on a friday, but having to go home and change bikes means I often get home and then feel I should do something else. Also I'm not a young hoon so although I appreciate what the bike can offer I don't need to have a rocket underneath me I just need something with enough oomph to make a long 110kmh run without feeling like I'm pushing the machine to its limit the whole time and can handle wel

I'd strongly suggest you take an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 for a test ride.  If you still dig the Maxi's try Yamaha Tmax 500

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-27-2009 01:42 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

Hi Robbie55

I ride a Piaggio X8 250cc 50km to and from work every day and I've been on a number of long country rides. It's zippy enough around the city and grunty enough on country rides. The storage on the X8 is fantastic.

I think that only second hand X8s are available now but the next model up is the XEvo also availble in a 400cc. Something you might want to consider.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 01-27-2009 04:54 PM In reply to

yes a maxi scooter will handle town riding but not as well as something with a shorter wheelbase.

that is why i own two scooters, a maxi for longer trips and a 250cc for most of my city riding. i will use the 500cc for city riding sometimes but i much prefer the 250cc scoot.

argentum melle
  • 01-28-2009 08:44 AM In reply to

silverflyer:

yes a maxi scooter will handle town riding but not as well as something with a shorter wheelbase.

that is why i own two scooters, a maxi for longer trips and a 250cc for most of my city riding. i will use the 500cc for city riding sometimes but i much prefer the 250cc scoot.

Yeah I think this is really what I need to decide. I really only want the one sccoter but I'm going to have to accept there is always going to be some compromise between the performance, space and something still small enough to handle the traffic well. Perhaps the Scarabeo 500 mentioned might be the way to go.

• 01-28-2009 09:49 AM In reply to

basically it comes down to bums on seats.

get out and try as many different scooters as possible.

argentum melle
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au