Scooter
Community

Japanese Scooter Security.

Last post 03-03-2009 11:03 PM by stylofone. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2009 09:17 PM

Japanese Scooter Security.

I've been watching with interest the regular threads here on scooter theft in Australia - something I find shocking. It is slowly changing in big cities like Tokyo, but elsewhere across Japan less so, with much still being part of old-school Japanese manners. We can still leave our doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, helmets sitting on seats, and be assured our stuff will remain unmolested.

This Gyro-Up is a common sight, and sits in my local shotengai next to a convenience shop and the hundreds of passing salarymen, housewives, and university & school children. I think he puts it away at night, but during the day it sits like this. Some may argue who would want to steal a Gyro-Up with a bucket of fugu on the back, but that's not the point...

• 02-23-2009 11:48 PM In reply to

• honkerman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2008
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 23

Re: Japanese Scooter Security.

in some small towns here in the U.S., you can still do that too, but not a chance in any of the cities or larger towns. I always lock the steering on my scoot and will try to find a place to chain it when I park in an unfamiliar area...But unfortunately, that is the way it is. .

Yamaha Vino Classic (50cc) - Traded in
    Kymco People 150 - Current scooter

Read my blog at: Http://scootinfool.blogspot.com

Scootin' around Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
  • 02-24-2009 07:33 AM In reply to

I left my keys in my bike a few weeks back, & that was in the Woolworths carpark in Maleny, Qld.  I'd done my shopping & wondered where my keys were...duhhhh!  A Grandpa moment!  Big Smile

You can get away with that sort of thing in the sticks here, but better not to be too complacent.  Ick!

Rob  Geeked

• 02-24-2009 01:01 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

I left my keys in the Beta Eikon at Paddy's Market in the middle of the city.... damn bike was STILL THERE 4 hours later Wink

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 03-03-2009 11:03 PM In reply to

It's one of the things I really like about Japan. 5 minutes after I arrived there I started noticing all the bicycles everywhere, not chained up.

His: Vespa GTS 250, giallo lime
    Hers: Vespa GTV 250, portofino green
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au