Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Yamaha YW100 BeeWee

Last post 07-07-2016 02:25 PM by Bugs. 234 replies.
Page 1 of 16 (235 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2007 03:07 PM

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

Yamaha YW100 BeeWee

My first impression of the BeeWee was, ‘I’ll never get one of those!’ It was a yellow, bug-eyed thing. 6 months later I was riding a black one out of the store.
    In between I had read some great reviews and heard from owners who loved this scooter’s performance. And then I saw a black one parked on the street – it looked waaaay better than the one I had seen in the magazines and on the website. I decided to give it a test ride. So based on its performance, Yamaha quality and reliability, and its unique, rugged, ‘holidays’ look (in the stylish black) – I bought one. The other major factor in the choice was its weight. At 91kg it was perfect for my trip to work as it involves a loooong footbridge walk.

Quality: All panels, lights, grips and other bits feel very secure and well constructed. Impressive. I took the rear mudflap/tail off only because I think it looks better without it. Choice of 4 colours - yellow, red, blue and of course the essential black. (Initially the black was a metallic charcoal colour, now it is a jet black).

Comfort: At first it wasn’t as comfortable as my previous and current rides. The angle of the seat means that I have only one choice – to sit forward. This means that I have to be careful that my knees don’t hit on sharp corners. There is just enough leg/foot room. After 1000km I was finally used to the riding position. Its not much different than most scooters actually – I’ve just got long legs and was a bit spoiled from the generous room on the Peugeot and Daelim I had been riding.

Performance: I hate running in a new engine!!
    Just after hitting 500km I noticed the engine was settling in more – the ride was smoother, the engine more responsive and it generally felt more zippy. After 1000km though, I was able to open up the throttle the whole way.
    The performance of this 2 stroke 100cc is quite good. Top speed is approx 90km/hr on the flat and 100km/hr downhill (with a tailwind). It will maintain speeds of up to 80km/hr uphill.
    Acceleration is good – you are able to get ahead of cars from the lights. However there is a slight lag initially, on take off (at approx 15km/hr) so I have to give it extra throttle to get past this quickly. To improve the torque uphills and acceleration ScooterHQ has put together a Giannelli exhaust and variator kit. I’m just waiting until they trial a Tecnigas pipe before making any future mods.
    The small frame and power to weight ratio make this scooter an agile performer – loves to corner. The chunky stock tyres seem more suited to off road riding and create a bit of vibration and road noise. After putting on some Conti Twist tyres, the ride is much smoother, quieter and possibly faster. It’s like riding a new scooter.

Practicality: Under-seat storage is good – fits my open face helmet but my full face is just a little too big - so close! Holds my wet weather gear, lunch and spare clothes. There’s also an open glove compartment in the leg shields – big enough for a fluro safety vest (in case of dim weather) and a pair of sunnies. Luggage hook, luggage rack there, but haven’t used them yet.
    It costs me $5 a week in petrol for 170km. Pretty good.

Overall: At $2999 +orc (with the free camera) it’s a great scooter for the price, (even if I have to spend more on some performance parts). I would buy the BeeWee again … but then there’s the Daelim Bbone or Neo Forte (for a bit more)?? Don’t judge a scooter from a magazine or a website – check it out and ride it.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • 10-01-2007 03:33 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: Yamaha YW100 BeeWee

Everyone who has seen the Bee Wee in the flesh has bee impressed with how much bigger and better looking it actually is.  The pisctures have never done it justice, and I think thats why there are still a lot of people out there who turn their nose up at the Bee Wee (kind of like how I am with the Vespa).

Only being a 100cc, it is still quite sparky, and just gets better and better with each ride, and I can only imagine how much better it would be with it kitted out correctly (Yes Scooter HQ, one day).  This is one scooter that is built to please and if you are happy doing speeds of 80km/h it will have you smiling all the way.  I am waiting for the day I get pulled over, because its rare for me to ride under 60km/hr.  Its a bike that loves to ride at 60 and above, and it gives you the disaproving grumbles when you idle.  The Bee Wee and me, its meant to be :)

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-01-2007 04:12 PM In reply to

I agree with Curt and Dak on the BeeWee. When I saw it on the internet, and then in the scooter magazine, I though it was ugly. A trip to the local Yamaha dealer  opened my eyes to this little bug-eyed scooter as a nice looking scooter. After just washing it today, I had a really good look over it, and agree with Curto on build quality.

Quality: Overall - Exceptional

I also took off the mud flap on the back, and it gives it a better look in the rear end, and thought it was a bit flimsy. All the parts are of reasonable quality, and its bolted and screwed together tightly. The battery compartment is easily accessed, and so to is the spark plug, simply by undoing a few screws.

Comfort:  Overall - Reasonable

Being a bit taller, and a bit heavier than Curto, Dozer still fits nicely on this little scooter, and doesn't look like the Ape in the Nintendo game "Mario Carts". I sit well back from the front of the seat, and it probably took me about 300km's to find a natural spot on the seat where I was comfortable.

Performance: Overall - Good

Being 95kg's, the BeeWee isn't too forgiving on my back when I hit a pothole, or bump in the road but other than that, its takeoff, top speed (90km/h on flat) and general handling are good. I haven't experimented with performance parts, YET!

Practicality: Overall - Good

Now I have, but dont usually carry a pillion on the BeeWee. It would take Danny DeVito and Gary Coleman on the BeeWee to feel comfortable as the seating arrangement is not generous. 2 up is cramped and uncomfortable, but is possible. Curtos points about storage are spot on, it fits my XL open-face helmet nicely underseat. I have however felt the need to add a medium 28ltr. Topbox to mine, which eases the strain to pack carefully and tightly, and now I have plenty of storage.

At 3 Grand plus on roads, I can honestly say that It's well built, and great fun, but the 125cc price war my put this BeeWee further down the list on some peoples choice. The VS125 from Bolwell is also a whole lotta scooter for the same price, and its 4 stroke! Would I buy another BeeWee? Hell yeah, its more than a scooter, its a statement.

• 10-02-2007 03:37 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Its more than a statement.

Its a attitude!

• 10-28-2007 07:49 AM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

So to all the Bee Wee owners out there: what would your experiences and impressions be in regard to the Bee Wee's long term prospect ie. reliability, problems since new, longevity (4-5 years), riding with the bigger chunkier wheels, and anything else you could comment on for a potentially new (blue) Bee Wee owner!

Cheers :) 

Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-28-2007 08:47 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

I had my jog for 3 years (I think), and it was only tarting to have major dramas at 24,000kms.  And I believe the Bee Wee is a better bike than the Jog.  I think if you look after it, regular servicing etc, treat it well, it can be a bike that will be good to you for years.  Its a fun quirky scoot, and always gets the looks, it has great potential, you can keep it as the great 100cc that is is, or later down the track do some small mods.  Being Yamaha as well, you know you have a great name, and a great back up service, and any parts you do need should be easily available. 

As I said, on the next ride, if you want to have a quick hoon on it, im happy to let you have a test ride.  (But like my husband says, damamge it, and you're fixing it lol)

• 10-29-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

For me the BeeWee is my daily ride (because my commute involves me pushing it and it's the lightest 100cc scooter there is. Its not the ideal situation I know, but it saves me loads of time this way, I get some exercise and I've got a direct route to work with hardly any cars so I feel much safer).

I guess my thoughts about it are pretty much stated in the review above. I feel happy about my purchase and I believe the Yamaha quality will last for ages, though the local Yamaha service here is unacceptable. However, I can service and readily order parts through other sources so that's not an issue.

The bigger wheels are a plus, as they put more rubber on the road and improve the stability. It definately feels more stable than my previous Ludix, which had 10" tyres but much narrower and smaller. I upgraded to the Contis.

Otherwise I would always be riding the NS125 everyday, and not just on the weekends, because I believe it is a superior scooter. My reccomendation - take the BeeWee for a test ride and compare it with other "potentials." It's gotta come down to what you like the look of and more importnatly how it feels, performs and rides with you on it.

• 10-29-2007 10:50 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

The Bee Wee isn't the prettiest bike on the road, and if it was based on looks we would all be riding Derbi's!  But the looks are part of the appeal, a touch on the different side, and it gets the looks trust me!

Being Yamaha it will probably die with you, and parts etc are easy to get.

Mine is my ONLY form of transport, and as you all know, any dramas I have had, have been so minor they dont count!  Its a great commuter, for the getting too and from.  Once you've Bee Wee'd you wont look back!!!!!  But hey thats just my very biased opinion, try one for yourself!

• 10-30-2007 04:05 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

So to all the Bee Wee (+ other 2 stroke) owners: is it a general rule that you will only get about 20,000km before you will be up for major $?

Is that a reason NOT to buy a 2 stroke if you are using it to commute and are likely to do about 8000km per year?

Any comments / suggestions are welcome as this aspect (please confirm or deny) is about the only thing putting me off the Bee Wee!

Cheers 

Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-30-2007 04:07 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

How long do you guys (Bee Wee owners) intend on having the Bee Wee?

Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-30-2007 05:07 PM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

I intend having the BeeWee as long as possible, while it still has a good resale value. Maybe 1-2 years, maybe more? I haven't really thought about how many km on the clock it'll have. If something better comes out I might upgrade, or if my work siutuation changes I'll sell then too. But for now I'm content and happy with it's performance.

• 10-30-2007 05:08 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

With care and regular servicing, no reason why you cant ride it forever

• 10-30-2007 06:35 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

Dakoda:

With care and regular servicing, no reason why you cant ride it forever

That's just it...I like the blue Bee Wee and when I was in having a look at the Peugeot Speedfight 100 (also blue), I quite liked the feel of that as well! Only problem is that they are 2 strokes and some keep saying don't get a 2 stroke?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The CygnusX is nice but on the road the brand new 08 model ends up being over $4500 ( a little too high as I want to get some gear as well).

Everyone on this forum seems to thoroughly enjoy their Bee Wee as well have a high opinion of them!

Arrrgggghhhh...the decisions!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-30-2007 07:09 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Its not a easy decision.  I bought my Bee Wee having only seen it in TW Scooter, im gld I did!

Its like anything, you have to decide what is right for YOU, and you alone.  Its YOUR decision, as its your bum on the bike.  Come and try mine this weekend if you want, we can do a swap and go for a ride to Manly, I believe there is alsoa  Boat Muster down there this weekend as well.  (I know there is one on, but am assuming its there lol)

• 10-30-2007 09:01 PM In reply to

mttt, 

I just bought a speedfight and love it. I am not familar with your concerns. 2 strokes will go for a long time if you service them and treat them well. I would guess that the stories you here are from people that let them go (not service regularly,not change oil, use cheap 2 stroke oil, let s stroke oil run out) and wonder why the engine blows up.

It does 90kph on the flat easily and i am 100kgs, no light weight jockey here.

I feel they would be more fun to ride, much lighter, and punchier when you hit the accelerator. It's up to how you want to ride.

Yes, 4 strokes are smoother. they are also heavier.

Yellow Peugeot - Speedfight II 2006 - sold
    White Piaggio - X7 300 2010
Page 1 of 16 (235 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au