Scooter
Community

GILERA Nexus 500ie

Last post 06-27-2015 11:32 AM by petegailey. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2007 04:44 PM

• Opascoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Surfers Paradise, Queensland
    • Posts 212

GILERA Nexus 500ie

After trading my AeroX100 in on a BMW 1150GS 5 years ago there were times I’d missed the little scoot, so easy to just get on and go, as good as the BMW is, it is a large lump to move around… I used to park the aeroX inside the house, fitting neatly in my large kitchen, handy to clean on rainy days LOL.

So, in time I checked out what scooters were available and thought I’d get one that did a bit more than my old AeroX.
    MaxiScooters, a new term I hadn’t heard of before… more segregation from within, wow - we had bikes and scooters, now we’ve got scooters and Maxiscooters
    All the Maxi’s I looked at were bulbous in the tail, although their luggage capacity was quite good as a result; I didn’t care for boot-space, having enough in the BMW and my other two cars.

One day I came across the Nexus and wow – very sporty looking.
    I wondered what it went like, as the AeroX of mine looked racy but handled rather sloppy, being a race-look only.
    Well, I was to be surprised as the more I investigated the more interested I got which ended in a test ride and an order for the Red 500ie!!

Quality:

Being an Italian bike I thought there’d be flaws in the quality, but to my surprise I was happy to find that all panels fitted neatly, things opened and shut neatly and after 5000km nothing has come loose or needed tightening beyond the normal service items. Finish and paintwork is great, having cleaned bugs off, washed, and finish-sprayed for 5000km, all surfaces remain very red and shiny!

Comfort:
    With the height adjustable rear suspension I found it had differing affects on the ride comfort, long distance freeways (lowest setting) was most comfy, whereas the highest setting used for tight bends and city traffic tended to leave me a bit ‘old’ in the back after a while, but the handling differences were uniquely appealing! Seat is roomy and more than soft enough, no aching butt so far!!
    With no adjustment in handlebars or seat a happy medium coupled with my body size/shape is usually found and I had no trouble recently enjoying an 1150km journey taking in the Oxley Highway with no aches, pains or fatigue! And I am quite a lazy old fart!!

Performance:
    I thought that the running in process would bore me, but - sticking to the recommended rev range made no difference within the legal speed zones, so it was fun from the start!
    Being conscious of the need not to stick to one speed I took the running in time to discover many less traveled back-roads in the Sydney region, along the way changing the suspension settings, tyre pressures and learning to ride with linked brakes and no gears (again).
    Take-off leaves most people back at the lights as the acceleration is quite enjoyable and quick. The Nexus is easy to keep at legal speeds, yet more than comfortable holding 120kmh on the M5/M7 as well!
    My recent journey on the Oxley Hwy via Walcha had the Gilera cruising around the 100kmh with the odd moment straying over the magic ton with no changes to the secure feel and stability!
    Brembo twin calipers up front and another one at the rear made for some real fun in twisty conditions, coupled with the twin tube frame and 500cc engine you’d sometimes wonder what part is scooter and which one is bike.Getting a fuel range of between 350/400km for the 15km tank returns about 4.2 km/100, I rarely watch economy, but it seems OK.
    Twin H7 headlamps have a good spread and are good enough to allow legal speeds on most country back-roads.
    Handling is more than exciting, most of my routes including some winding section that usually highlights the day’s ride and apart from the odd scrape of the centre-stand the Nexus can be pushed quite hard and delivers a pleasing and predictable grip with only my experience with the auto letting it down occasionally.

Practicality:
    I’m sure the Nexus was designed for fun, not having the bulbous tail of most Maxi’s, there’s still plenty of room under the seat for a full-face helmet or enough gear to cover all my winter riding over a weekend, although with a weekend away I’ve added an Andystrapz AA-bag which adds 18-litres for luggage and is easily strapped to the seat. The rear frame section has been designed to incorporate a topcase, having pre-drilled and fixed nuts all ready in place for a rack or topcase to be fitted; along with handy flip-top storage sections in the front cowl, there’s more than enough room for a daily commute or weekend ride.

The instrumentation include tacho, speedo and a range of warning lights and a handy trip computer showing average speed/km per liter, tank range, clock and highest speed attained, always a handy on-trip entertainment.

Overall:
    In the MaxiScooter range there’s a few nice ones to choose from, the Yamaha T-max was my next choice, but ended up about 4G over the Nexus price, and with the others, although it’s a personal choice, I found them all to be a bit too big and oversized. The Nexus cost me $10500 out the door, and now with 5000kms up I can say, for my first Italian it’s a continuing love affair.

Pete

Sunset in Walcha

Walcha again 

• 10-01-2007 08:10 PM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

Re: GILERA Nexus 500ie

Nice review and nice pics ( I remember the panoramic ones from the 'old site').

Sounds like a brilliant scooter (it'll be my choice of maxi ... if I ever had the money to buy one).

• 10-01-2007 09:19 PM In reply to

• Opascoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Posts 212

Yeah -  thanks for the compliments - I must do another trip or two and take some more pics, tonight I braved the 'double-demerits' and took off to Picton on the M5 and back along the old road in the dark - nice but so many bugs - my screen was black at Picton and again at home lol no pics

• 10-02-2007 03:40 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

It looks the goods.  Very Nice Indeed

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-02-2007 08:33 PM In reply to

I actually saw one of them last time I was in Sydney, near my parents place in Mossan. Very nice. 

• 10-07-2007 09:16 PM In reply to

Thanks for the report Opascoot.

You may recall the exchanges we had a few months back as I tested almost everything 400cc and above.  (Nexus, X8, Majesty, Tmax, Scarabeo, Burg.)

Well I took the plunge on Friday and am now the proud owner of a... Yamaha Tmax.  So look forward to a report in a few weeks. 

To be honest the last straw on my Aprilia Sportcity 200 was it dropping oil all over my garage (13 months old, 4000km, fastidiuos owner.... etc etc). 

The three week (+) wait for a gasket (!%$#!!)  ended my wish for another Italian machine.  Seriously, the number of small problems I had with that bike (and the need for me to have to write to Aprilia in the very first instance a problem occurred) put me right off.   The Tmax needed a fuel pump seal replaced under recall - it took two days to get the part and have it fitted.

Stay tuned.... 

Love the photos.

Filed under:
  • 10-08-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

• Opascoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Posts 212

Hey TWSCOOT, good one, you should have a good time on the Tmax, and I do understand where you're coming from with the Italian parts issue.... So far with mine I've had no issues, and hopefully it continues for a while yet (fingers crossed), mine is getting smoother and always gives me a big smile whenever I take it out.

After the EastCoast Rally on the 20th I'm trading the big bike on a new one, so the Nexus might get a backseat for a while...then I'll be going on some longer rides to visit my relo's (in Cairns but I'll always look forward tot he Nexus when I come home!!!

• 10-10-2007 10:24 AM In reply to

• Opascoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Posts 212

Oh - by the way, re: part delays :

I have contacts in Italy and anything I've got from them has been under 5 days!, so it's certainly not a transport/customs issues, I wonder if the importers here need to improve their service maybe???

• 10-10-2007 05:55 PM In reply to

• gerbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 20

Nice review Opascoot.

I'm thinking about upgrading my X9 250 to the Nexus so it's good to get feedback.

If I may make a comment though I thought that your comment about the quality of Italian bikes it's a bit harsh. I think that when you take in consideration brands like Ducati, Aprilia or Moto Guzzi (even if now some of them are part of the Piaggio Group) the performance and quality is right up there with the best brands. I agree that there might be problems or delays with spare parts sometimes but I think it's more about importers than manufacturers.

In the past 3 years I had no problems at all with my X9 including servicing it...and I live in the Tropics!

I've been riding scooters for the past 25 years and (touch wood) I've always been happy with Italian brands...hence my interest in the Gilera.

Thanks again for a great review. 

• 10-15-2007 08:45 PM In reply to

• Opascoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Posts 212

yes, I was a bit harsh in implying a quality issue, could be from my experience with the early imports in the 70/80's where it wasn't unusual for frames to crack, electrics to do what they wanted (or catch alight lol),,, but, yeah, if my Nexus is anything to go by, as well as the loaner GTS250 I had recently I must reverse that earlier comment!!

But - hey reliability seems to be up there with anything else (reading about 'issues' on other forums about failures on Nexus can mostly be traced back to human-error, more often in negligent servicing or inappropriate servicing with lack of attention to detail/procedure as one does when one saves money and does it all at home (but leaves out the important adjustment of something??) , so far I'm close to 6K and it's getting smoother, seems more responsive - gets up to 160 with pleasure (insert big smile),  no leaks, rattles... but, with it's paneling I noticed there's almost an overkill off screws and fittings, most panels have clip fittings as well as screw fittings, so even if you did loose a screw you're unlikely to loose the part...

I'm about to take off (this Wednesday morning) for my second big trip, this time back up to Walcha and then via Armidale and the waterfalls to Bellingen and CoffsH for 5 days, coming back the same way because it's so nice, scenic and minimal traffic! So I expect the usual comfort, on my last big ride (1150kms/2days) it surprised me with the comfort and rideability.... brilliant!

apart from all that, it's so nice to look at whenever you've stopped... and gets loads of comment enroute..

love it! 

• 10-16-2007 02:18 PM In reply to

• gerbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 20

Well, that's great, I hope you have a fab ride:-)

Is it comfortable for the passenger as it is for you? Last thing I want to do is to buy it just to hear the Mrs complaining that her bum hurts!!

Cheers! 

• 10-16-2007 09:13 PM In reply to

• Opascoot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Posts 212

I would say the passenger might have a better seat, it seems to have more padding and greater width at the rear (like most women do as well??? hahahaha!!!!),

But, in all seriousness (as if....) I think she'd be more than comfy!! the rear pegs seem quite nice too, it is a stepped seat so her head might be more in the wind...

you go for a test ride, and if you like it, do another one with the Mrs... ??

anyway... I'm all packed ready to go...nice and cool out now, great for riding... going to leave at sparrowfart (always wondered why they called it that???), before the M2 becomes a car-park LOL.

See you's next week!!

Pete

• 01-21-2008 02:58 PM In reply to

• gerbi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 20

Hi Opascoot.

Any more feedback from your rides?

Cheers:-) 

• 01-21-2008 05:00 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Opascoot dissapeared into the sunset on his other bike (some huge Kwaka) and hasn't been around for a while.  Wonder when he is going to return to the land of the scooter?

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 10-01-2014 05:03 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

BUMP!  I was down at Scooter Central yesterday where an old geeza was trading in his  Gilera Nexus 500 on an Aprillia 850. The thing that grabbed my eye was that it only had about 6,000ks on it, barely run in and still with the original tyres. I considered buying it myself as these legendry Nexus's have quite a following from those like Eccles and Opascoot who used to own them, My guess is that its on the floor at Brookvale and could be bought for about $5000.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au