Scooter
Community

Warmer weather riding gear

Last post 12-09-2008 02:16 PM by silverflyer. 77 replies.
Page 2 of 6 (78 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2007 11:04 AM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Re: Warmer weather riding gear

MIld1, You would be surprised how well the mesh stands up to abuse.

At Willowbank I had the unfortunate chance to test out my gear including sliding on my back down the track for quite a few metres.

I know that a racetrack is quite smooth compared to the average road but to my surprise the mesh on my back was perfect. No rips, tears or abrasion marks.

Saying that, I would not hesitate to replace my jacket if it was damaged & wouldn't think any less of it if it was destroyed but saved me.

$79 = cheap insurance

• 10-02-2007 11:19 AM In reply to

• Curto
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Southern Sydney
    • Posts 212

Gloves always go on before riding. I have pair of RJays leather ones for when its cold and I wear a pair of Fox mountain biking gloves for the warmer weather.

I'm just wearing my joggers on my feet. Do you reckon low-cut or high-top joggers are OK or do you guys wear something more protective like motorcycle boots?

• 10-02-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

Helmet, long pants, armoured jacket and gloves are a minumum for me. I usually wear workboots that cover my ankles. As is written above and ha been written before your ankles are vulnerable if you go for a slide. There's not much covering the bone so I reckon covering it up is a good idea.

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
  • 10-02-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

Curto:

I'm just wearing my joggers on my feet. Do you reckon low-cut or high-top joggers are OK or do you guys wear something more protective like motorcycle boots?

once again it's a personal preference thing - no one can say what you should/shouldn't wear.  For me it's fully armoured, almost knee-high motorcycle boots, ........Anything with ankle protection is a good place to start.  I upgraded after falling off and I think having the extra protection was possibly a psychological thing too, anything I could do to make me feel safer, got me back on the scooter and back on the road quicker.........when I first started riding I was wearing what I could afford to buy at the time....but have gradually added to that over time. 

Riding a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and selling the Derbi GP1-250 - PLEASE BUY IT!!!!!!!

• 10-02-2007 01:57 PM In reply to

• Gen X
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Fremantle
    • Posts 64

Full face lid with the top vents open, Corazzo 5.0 (body armour) with all the zips undone for maximum air flow.

The most uncomfortable part is the steel cap boots. Very comfortable, but HOT! Wish I had some vents to open on those (but I am sure an open face lid rider behind me wouldn't appreciate it!). 

Loving the Vespa GTSie 250
  • 10-02-2007 05:37 PM In reply to

I'm with Curto except the open faced helmet.

Don't like bugs in my face (millions around this time of the year) and don't fancy running my unprotected face down the road should I go over the top.

I think that website Opascoot was talking about was survivetheride. Has a graphic story about road rash and includes pictures.

If Tubsta's story doesn't get ya; nothing will!

• 10-03-2007 08:05 AM In reply to

Good point, My wife wants some protective gear. Are these dragon jeans much chop? 

• 10-03-2007 08:16 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

About $200 and a bit I think from memory

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-03-2007 08:28 AM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Dozer, I have come off pretty hard onto my left knee & hands & went for a slide on my Draggins.

The outer material ripped slightly, but the Kevlar lining stood up really well.

• 10-03-2007 09:06 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

Unfortunately I have tested my Draggin Jeans long sleeve shirt and gloves, they worked great no damage to me or the gear. These are just made from Kevlar, light and cool.

Would recommend them highly.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 10-03-2007 09:15 AM In reply to

Yep, better look into it, I'd be stupid to be "draggin my ***" on the road without a pair eh? 

• 10-03-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

Dozer, i bought some draggin jeans from MCAS in Sydney on special for about $119. Try MCAS or Bikebiz.

• 10-03-2007 03:25 PM In reply to

I think you dress for the occassion particularly when its hot, it's also a matter of risk tolerance. Cyclists get around in Lycra cruise at 40 & get up to 80 or more going down hills.

In 30 plus degrees of hot humid weather you will have to excuse me if I don't put on long pants, Boots, jacket etc to ride 4 kms in 60 zones. Will always have helmet with visor &  gloves.

We all know of horror stories on motorcycles, you can get hit by lightning playing golf, eaten by a shark surfing or heart attack in an intimate moment with Scarlett Johansen. But thats life

One other thing to factor in is your riding skills and i think spending $500 on rider training and avoiding the accident in the first place is better than spending $500 on accessories to protect you during an accident. Just find the happy balance between the two.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-04-2007 07:12 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

That's it!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-04-2007 11:10 PM In reply to

just remember that the medical field can't repair a ankle yet. so good quality boots to cover the ankles. gravel rash is extremely painful for a long time. always waer the best protection you can afford all the time

argentum melle
Page 2 of 6 (78 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au