Scooter
Community

2 stroke vs 4 stroke - performance improvement

Last post 10-15-2007 08:34 PM by mttttt. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2007 08:04 AM

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

2 stroke vs 4 stroke - performance improvement

being new to the scooter world (& having a 4 stroke scooter...don't laugh you guys ;) .... can someone shed some light on why most performance improvements, etc seem to be made to 2 strokes rather than 4 strokes?

i mean is it it a cost thing ie. not worth it OR are there less mod's you can do on a 4 stroke!

cheers :)
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-02-2007 03:48 PM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke - performance improvement

Speaking from my own experience the small 2 strokes seem to gain much more from tuning than the 4 strokes & are much simpler in design, therefore component costs are cheaper.

You can do a lot to a small 4 stroke, but for very little gain as they seem to inherently be built for efficiency rather than power.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cost of working a 50cc 4 stroke far outweighs the gain in HP.

• 10-02-2007 08:38 PM In reply to

Ah, what about that Honda 100cc Monkey bike we saw at Willowbank?  Here it is on a dyno...correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a 4-stroke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cag2QwF2KWg

Wouldn't similar things apply to 4-stroke bikes in regard to tuning as it would a car engine?  High-lift cams, timing, porting, carbis, raised compression ratio, freeflow exhaust, gear ratio etc etc.

• 10-03-2007 09:06 AM In reply to

That Monkey bike had a Takagawa 138cc race engine. Big difference to the standard one as it comes with all the goodies in it.

Two Strokes are much easier & cheaper to modify so the "Bang for Buck" return is always better.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-12-2007 08:34 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

is there any way to 'tweak' it up to 75kph?

:) 

Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-13-2007 07:49 PM In reply to

mttttt:

Probably not without making it distinctly financially unviable.  I've had a look on both the Malossi and Polini websites and neither one lists a kit for the 4 stroke Vino :(   If you're after more speed, you're probably best off trading it in on a 125cc 4 stroke as that makes the best financial sense.  That said, at least the Vino is available in the larger capacity as well if you're in love with the styling.

Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.

Cheers :)

• 10-14-2007 08:34 AM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

winterheart:

Probably not without making it distinctly financially unviable.  I've had a look on both the Malossi and Polini websites and neither one lists a kit for the 4 stroke Vino :(   If you're after more speed, you're probably best off trading it in on a 125cc 4 stroke as that makes the best financial sense.  That said, at least the Vino is available in the larger capacity as well if you're in love with the styling.

Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.

Cheers :)

Thanks to all for the feeback...just initial thoughts as I 'learn my way' through scootering!

I am pretty much set on working up the hours/km's on the Vino and maybe next year work towards upgrading to a 100cc-125cc...I am just keen now to venture a little further out of town...kinda caught the bug (if you know what I mean)!

...on the trade note (for future reference): I gather the trade-in values work the same way as cars? Selling privately is better I guess?

Cheers!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-14-2007 08:39 AM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

Still like to go out to one of the Track Nights, but not sure if it would be worth taking out the Vino!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!
  • 10-14-2007 09:38 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Scooter HQ usually takes a extra bike or too I believe.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 10-14-2007 06:23 PM In reply to

mttttt:

Thanks to all for the feeback...just initial thoughts as I 'learn my way' through scootering!

I am pretty much set on working up the hours/km's on the Vino and maybe next year work towards upgrading to a 100cc-125cc...I am just keen now to venture a little further out of town...kinda caught the bug (if you know what I mean)!

...on the trade note (for future reference): I gather the trade-in values work the same way as cars? Selling privately is better I guess?

Cheers!

I'm in the same boat atm, as the 150cc 4 stroke that I bought is now not as suitable for my needs.  I considered fitting a malossi 175cc kit to it, but it's not financially viable for me, ie. I'd be spending approx 25%-50% of the total value of the scoot on the upgrades for minimal gain.  There's nothing like being able to go for a ride in beautiful weather - I clocked up almost 120km's today just riding as the weather has been perfect!

Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.  Cheers :)

• 10-15-2007 10:44 AM In reply to

mttttt:

What are you getting out of it at the moment?

How tall & light are you?

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-15-2007 08:34 PM In reply to

• mttttt
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Brisbane - North
    • Posts 659

165cm (5'5") and 80kg!
    Ride a Yamaha CygnusX!