Scooter
Community

New to the Scootering World! Need some help with understanding the basics (such as laws etc).

Last post 04-02-2009 07:40 PM by Jeff. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2009 12:01 AM

New to the Scootering World! Need some help with understanding the basics (such as laws etc).

Hey guys (and gals),
    I'm a uni student, got my Open Car License and have to give back my parents car, which will leave me transport-less. However, with thanks to the Gov. Stimulus, I am preparing to buy my very first Scooter (a 2006 Bug Jive 50cc, so I don't need a motorcycle license).

One of my first concerns is: is it difficult to do the leaning over to turn corner thing? I know I sound completely noob-ish but I have NEVER driven a scooter or motorcycle before and it just looks so..complex.

My second question is: I live in Nth Queensland in Townsville and I have to cross a Ring Road (like a highway) every time I go to Uni or work, the speed limit is 100km/h on the Ring Road and the scooter can only (legally) do 50km/h, would I be able to drive on the shoulder of the Ring Road to get to the places I need to go, or is this action illegal (I ask "can I drive on the shoulder" because if I don't then I am sure to annoy alot of drivers, which wouldn't be much fun!).

Much thanks

• 03-28-2009 12:39 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: New to the Scootering World! Need some help with understanding the basics (such as laws etc).

azz_from_oz:

One of my first concerns is: is it difficult to do the leaning over to turn corner thing? I know I sound completely noob-ish but I have NEVER driven a scooter or motorcycle before and it just looks so..complex.

Its just like riding a pushbike. You'll naturally lean it into corners. 50cc scooters can be hotted up to go about 70k/h but arent really suitable for 100k/h roads. You need a 125 or bigger for that. 50cc's are best on streets and back routes. Go get your licence. Scooters are very addictive and most riders up grade once they get the bug.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-28-2009 12:47 AM In reply to

Re: New to the Scootering World! Need some help with understanding the basics (such as laws etc).

I was just reading another forum port and I think I might take the longer way to uni and work...it isn't that much longer but it would be far safer...I was thinking about going for my license straight up and getting a faster scooter, but I can't exactly afford much at the moment (living as a poor uni student)...but that was one of the main reasons that I wanted to ride a scooter because it is so cheap on fuel. Also, it would be nice to park somewhere closer to where I've been forced to park...which is normally a good long walk away.

Thanks for the reply

• 03-28-2009 01:03 AM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Paggio Zip 50cc 2 stroke , with long service intervals ( 6,000 km's ) , I think , it might not the 100 km/hr speed limit , but still will get you around in the meantime.

cheers.

azz_from_oz:

Hey guys (and gals),
    I'm a uni student, got my Open Car License and have to give back my parents car, which will leave me transport-less. However, with thanks to the Gov. Stimulus, I am preparing to buy my very first Scooter (a 2006 Bug Jive 50cc, so I don't need a motorcycle license).

My second question is: I live in Nth Queensland in Townsville and I have to cross a Ring Road (like a highway) every time I go to Uni or work, the speed limit is 100km/h on the Ring Road and the scooter can only (legally) do 50km/h, would I be able to drive on the shoulder of the Ring Road to get to the places I need to go, or is this action illegal (I ask "can I drive on the shoulder" because if I don't then I am sure to annoy alot of drivers, which wouldn't be much fun!).

Much thanks

• 03-28-2009 01:08 AM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 420

Smile [:)] Re: New to the Scootering World! Need some help with understanding the basics (such as laws etc).

Paggio Zip 50 2 stroke.

• 03-28-2009 02:45 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

azz_from_oz:

I think I might take the longer way to uni and work...it isn't that much longer but it would be far safer...I was thinking about going for my license straight up and getting a faster scooter, but I can't exactly afford much at the moment (living as a poor uni student)...but that was one of the main reasons that I wanted to ride a scooter because it is so cheap on fuel. Also, it would be nice to park somewhere closer to where I've been forced to park...which is normally a good long walk away.

Thanks for the reply

If thats what you want it for you'll love a scooter.
    Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-28-2009 03:06 AM In reply to

One more quick question, in regards to having a 50cc scooter "hotted-up" is it terribly expensive/difficult to do?...I only have my open car license (so I'm only suppose to go 50km/h on a scooter) but having an extra boost wouldn't be too bad lol

• 03-28-2009 03:24 AM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 420

Yes, you can have a hottered up 50cc with some upgrades , but I am not sure how you do it , it best ask your local scooter dealer , but remember they must class under LA class restriction. of the 50cc scooter laws. but dotn worry everyone does it anyway .

cheers.

• 03-28-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney
    • Posts 457

hey Azz,

speaking from my experience only, my suggestion would be to bite the bullet, go get your licence so that you can ride whatever you want..... you will get your 50cc and within about a month you will want something bigger and better - it is addictive and once you get into the swing of it you will love it!

You won't look back!

Ask mum & dad for an interest free loan! hehehe

THE DREAM IS ALIVE!!! IT'S A VESPA AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's name is WOW
  • 03-28-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

azz_from_oz:
    in regards to having a 50cc scooter "hotted-up" is it terribly expensive/difficult to do?...

Like anyyhing its easy if you know what you are doing, some mods increase efficiency & are reliable but then you reach a point where you are doing it at the expense of reliability & longevity. To do the Bug you would do a pipe & transmission kit which will cost anything up to $700 fitted depending on what you did.

Reading this with your first post asking about cornering & the speed you need to be able to do I'd strongly suggest you get a used 125, the money you would spend on a hot up kit use on a license.

You would effectively be spending the same dollars but what you end up with will serve you much better. Get a 50 & you will have the inconvenience of being 40km/h slower than everything on the fastest road or will have to take a longer route to uni for the next how many years?  Go through the 2 week inconvenience of getting an auto bike license & that's the end of it. Plus the skills stay with you for life & may just save it one day..

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 03-28-2009 12:11 PM In reply to

• Ned
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2008
    • Posts 137

I'm not so sure I agree with the posters about wanting to go bigger when you get the bug...there is something appeal the appeal of a fifty that never gets beat for a section of us riders. I am pretty sure Rat Ride from the forum is with me on that.

Re: the stopping lane riding thing, in vic it is technically illegal. I have only done it once, because I missed a turn off from the sixty zone in a town I had not been to before (road numbers in melbourne are notoriously badly advertised) and ended up where I did NOT want to be on a fifty. Just my luck that there were cops around. I explained the situation and they were fine with me using that lane till I got somewhere I could exit, because police mostly have some degree of sense, so you can get away with it.

I wouldn't do it as a regular thing though. Fifties are awesome fun though, so light and maneuverable, park anywhere, weave anywhere. Just plan your route to enjoy it the most.

VMoto Milan JX 50 blue(ish)
    "It's all over now, baby blue"

Honda NH80 rat-bike
    "aqua-rat" until I take the spraycan to it...
  • 03-29-2009 04:27 AM In reply to

Welcome!  Do the license, as a uni student you know about investing in oneself - and in the end the knowledge and the skill count.  Do not self-nominate for the Darwin Award - instead use the right tool to get the job done.

• 03-29-2009 08:10 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Scooter HQ.s advice is spot on. 

Cheaper 50s often have issues  and hotting up properly is expensive. Buy a new cheap 50 and its resale value will suck.  Hot up a 50 and its resale value will suck even if it works fine everyone will assume its got issues.

If you buy a 50, you will soon realise its not up to your needs and end up getting a license and a 125.

A license and a cheaper older 125 is probably better value for you and will retain its resale value when you decide to sell.  My extra advice would be to stick with a brand like honda or Yamaha and old 2 strokes running well are probably a safer purchase than 4 strokes which need more maintenance.  (I am a 2 stroke junky as far as scooters go).

A 125 or similar will allow you to travel a bit farther when you want to do bigger distances.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 03-29-2009 10:19 AM In reply to

• Ned
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2008
    • Posts 137

INMA:

If you buy a 50, you will soon realise its not up to your needs and end up getting a license and a 125.

Again...there are plenty of people that this "truism" doesn't apply to. I know people who have ridden fifties for 20 years and still wouldn't ride anything else.

Definitely buy a second hand fifty to start though, you will get back something close to what you paid for it that way if this truism does apply to you.

VMoto Milan JX 50 blue(ish)
    "It's all over now, baby blue"

Honda NH80 rat-bike
    "aqua-rat" until I take the spraycan to it...
  • 03-29-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

you said there was some 70-80km/h zones that you travel through. a 50cc won't cut it then.

go for your licence, get something with as big a engine capacity as you can afford.

yes a lager scooter won't handle as well as a 50cc but it won't be far behind and think of all that extra power you will have with the twist of the wrist.

try as many different scooters as you can. 50cc as well as bigger scooters.

argentum melle
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au